Celebrity fans

Patrick Stewart whilst captain of the Enterprise was asked on a TV interview who he supported and he answered Sunderland.
He was born in Huddersfield.

Laurence Fox from the famous acting family, including Edward Fox ' The Jackal', is a Sunderland supporter.

Snderland till they died then
Patrick Stewart born in Huddersfield answered a question put to him many years ago on a tv interview ,when he became captain of the Enterprise on Star Trek, he supported Sunderland.

Patrick Stewart born in Huddersfield answered a question put to him many years ago on a tv interview ,when he became captain of the Enterprise on Star Trek, he supported Sunderland.[/QUOTE]

Peter O'Toole was born in Leeds. His father worked in the Sunderland shipyards and later moved up to work on the Clyde.
I saw him interviewed many years ago and was surprised to hear him say that he always supported Sunderland. He sadly died a few years back.[/QUOTE]

He (O'Toole) said it on TFI Friday when Chris Evans asked him.

Anybody mentioned Tim Rice. He did the half time draw at Spurs one evening in February 1984. We were 2-0 down and the bloke on the microphone asked him what the final score would be? Tim replied we will win 3-2, the bloke was shocked that Tim supported us. We lost 3-0.

I interviewed Cloughie back in 1979 when he was at the peak of his powers (Forest had just won - or were about to win - the European Cup) but I wanted to talk about Sunderland as it was the club's Centenary Year. He did not hesitate: "I would swap everything I've won as a manager including the European Cup for scoring just one more hat-trick for Sunderland" ...I think that makes Brian Clough a MLF and all the more unfortunate we were never able to lure him back. #STID
Way down this thread dominated by rock stars who are NOT our fans is a mention of one who I can confirm IS. Alan Price - one for the older posters - was a major part of The Animals' world-wide success in the the 1960s. He then had a successful solo career and was part of the Bob Dylan "inner circle" when Dylan toured Britain in 65-66. Alan was from Fatfield before it became part of the Washington sprawl.

I interviewed Cloughie back in 1979 when he was at the peak of his powers (Forest had just won - or were about to win - the European Cup) but I wanted to talk about Sunderland as it was the club's Centenary Year. He did not hesitate: "I would swap everything I've won as a manager including the European Cup for scoring just one more hat-trick for Sunderland" ...I think that makes Brian Clough a MLF and all the more unfortunate we were never able to lure him back. #STID
Way down this thread dominated by rock stars who are NOT our fans is a mention of one who I can confirm IS. Alan Price - one for the older posters - was a major part of The Animals' world-wide success in the the 1960s. He then had a successful solo career and was part of the Bob Dylan "inner circle" when Dylan toured Britain in 65-66. Alan was from Fatfield before it became part of the Washington sprawl.

Isn't James Bolam likely lads & New tricks one of us

Hi Hank...he's certainly a Sunderland fella, so I would think so.
Apparently, James is a bit of a luvvie - but then I was sharing a drink with Sir Tim Rice at the Wycombe game and he's a huge luvvie, a great bloke to talk to and certainly a MLF. God knows how he stood Lloyd Webber for as long as he did!!

Aye they reckon bolam right git to work with

Hark at you name dropping ;)

Mick harford
David corner
Wilf mannion
Eric Bristow
Keith delller
Colin loyld
Tony green famous people I've had a pint with

Last edited:
I don't think the club wanted him, he probably would have come if they did.

I don't think the club wanted him, he probably would have come if they did.
For a long time, they didn't, you are right. And the club, really, could have done more to progress Cloughie when he first started youth team coaching with the likes of Colin Todd, Colin Suggett and Billy Hughes. But come the early 80s, they did want him - certainly Cowie had a go for Clough but I think the chairman's own dismal reputation went before him. Cowie also tried for Bobby Robson when he was at Ipswich. With a different regime, it may have been just possible for either of these top managers.
As for Cloughie, by the late 80s he was a busted flush and the moment had passed.

Clough, Shack and Charlie were the three players my Dad loved and he always talked abut Clough.

Price in Don't Look Back is pissed out of his brains on broon ale. Apart from The Animals magic he made plenty of great records

Lads: I hate to break it to you like this but there a number of people who don’t give a flying fuck about football. Some of them come from the Sunderland area and some of them are famous.

Back