Ceiling Fan :(

It's an outdated and non-regulation term to describe an isolation point in an electrical circuit.
That’s a fused spur....a spur is just a general term for taking a feed from a socket to else where generally

Doesn't have to be, you can get 2 pole isolater's on some of them
Only if it’s not a timer fan, in which case a fused spur would indeed do, otherwise it’d have to be 3 pole to isolate the live neutral and switched live

Last edited:
That’s a fused spur....a spur is just a general term for taking a feed from a socket to else where generally
Yeah I said earlier it's an outdated term to describe that kind of setup.

Officially a spur is as you described.

Only if it’s not a timer fan, in which case a fused spur would indeed do, otherwise it’d have to be 3 pole to isolate the live neutral and switched live
I'm gonna go with fused spur :cool:

I have no reason to other than pot luck but tbh you shouldn't be getting electrical advice on the smb anyway

Last edited:
Makes little difference, most the bathrooms we do don’t have either in the original setup, lazy bastard sparks:lol:
This doesn't surprise me.

It's been about 10 years since I was a house spark but my god some of the things I used to see were incredible.
If you ever fancy a laugh/shock check out professional electricians caught on camera each month

Caught on Camera 19th June

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
There's some great ones out there..... these are just from the last few weeks

Weirdest thing I ever saw was I went to a service station because the voltage kept dropping, the lights were dimming and then raising back up like something was almost shorting but not quite tripping out.

So we knew it must be something do with the transformers, went to the cabinet and there was a fried snake wrapped around each winding :eek:

Last edited:
You can get different ones that come on in different ways.

Timed, humidity, switched etc. You could pay to change it to one of the others.

Or turn the light off in the bath.

I like ceilings and have never considered them unnecessary overheads. But I wouldn't call myself a fan

Is there any way to just switch it off?

It comes on when I turn on the bathroom light and the noise is annoying. There no switch on it or anything. Does not have its own fuse so can’t flick that off either. It’s absolutely pointless.

What kind of twat wires it up so they both come on together? Mine I have two switches and only flick the other one when I go in for a sit down..

Mine has a switch on the wall next to it so you can switch it on when you have a shower or a shite but not when you piss.

Pathetic look at me with me fancy f***ing extractor fan

Yeah I said earlier it's an outdated term to describe that kind of setup.

Officially a spur is as you described.

I'm gonna go with fused spur :cool:

I have no reason to other than pot luck but tbh you shouldn't be getting electrical advice on the smb anyway
Its a Fused Connection Unit or FCU.

Back