CC : Warwickshire v Durham

And so to Edgbaston on Friday. Not a lot we can say cricket wise after our opening fixture although in the interview with Cambo he revealed that Jones and de Leede would have missed the cut for the starting XI against Hampshire and so with the arrival of Scott Boland into the squad I reckon he will replace Coughlin in a game where the infamous Kookaburra ball will be getting used again.

As I type this Warwickshire's match against rivals Worcs appears to be heading for a draw which means they will be on 13 pts after finishing 4th last season winning six of their matches.

Coach Mark Robinson has expressed frustration that Pakistan paceman Hassan Ali's return from international duty has been delayed meaning he missed the opening fixture - whether or not he misses our game remains to be seen. Ed Barnard is the new vice captain and he always seemed to do well against us when he was at Worcs.

Oliver Hannon -Dalby was their leading wicket taker last season with 54 which was one ahead of a lad called Rushworth. Well what can you say about Rushy? Durham's all time wicket taker, top bloke and absolute legend. I wont mind him taking another 5fer ..so long as we win the match!

The weather? - Well it looks better than we've had up here although that's not saying much.

Haway Durham let's get out of the starting blocks with a win!!!

I live in Warks so would have been attending this if I wasn’t going down Wales next weekend. I am off to Kidderminster in a couple of weeks though.

Forecast looks very warm if not sunny. Should hopefully get four full days.

Will be a strange feeling watching Rushy face Durham!

Must admit the first score i check after ours is Warwickshire to see how Rushy got on, seems a good bloke, Couple of lads i know a sacriston speak very highly of him, Same at beamish, heard he joins in with the kids as he lives close

Not keen on the use of the Kookaburra but in this instance happy given it'll hopefully render Rushy less effective whereas Boland will be familiar with it. Expected XI is a strong outfit. Decent opposition so a good test.

Dobell comment from Warks v Worcs.
"Their next match, starting here against Durham on Friday, will feature an even shorter boundary towards the Priory Stand side of the ground. Given that Ben Stokes could be in the opposition and that boundary is going to be somewhere around 45 meters and you rather fear for the bowlers. And those using the car park."
Comment also of the ineffectiveness of the Kookaburra ball in early season conditions.
High scoring draw coming up?
Stokes not available until May according to Campbell.

Last edited:
For once I think that’s just poor ‘journalism’ from Dobell. He’s either went for the easy line to create a story or just made wrong assumptions.

For once I think that’s just poor ‘journalism’ from Dobell. He’s either went for the easy line to create a story or just made wrong assumptions.
Hmm-we'll find out on Friday.The comment was a short paragraph in a lengthy match report so it wasn't click bait so I accepted it as fact.Presumably there'd be some evidence of strip preparation given the match was following in a few days.
For once? Am not a fan of him at all like.
Yes,he does write some contentious stuff but he's the one journalist who produces financial facts about the Hundred and challenges it's validity.

I think you’re overthinking it.

Ben Stokes is the biggest name in county cricket, one of the biggest hitters, responsible largely for the current aggressive play by the England side and has made himself available for county duty. It’s the most obvious example to use whilst making the point he’s making.
For once? Am not a fan of him at all like.

He’s an excellent cricket journalist and the entire game would be a much better place if MORE were like him.
Yes,he does write some contentious stuff but he's the one journalist who produces financial facts about the Hundred and challenges it's validity.

He also spoke VERY well in the defence of Durham following FTECB’s rape and pillaging of us back in 2016.

Last edited:

Mark Robinson names 13-player squad to face Durham.​

Squad​

Ed Barnard
Chris Benjamin
Jacob Bethell
Danny Briggs
Michael Burgess (wk)
Alex Davies (C)
Olly Hannon-Dalby
Craig Miles
Dan Mousley