CC : Durham vs Sussex

Bloke infront of me was on the #cans from ball one, he’d sunk two Stella before 11:00 :eek:

Well, he had two between 10:30 and 11:00 but for all I know he could’ve had 5 or 6 prior to play starting :eek:
Although I'd watched and played club cricket, my first ever county match was going as a teenager with my Dad to watch Durham play a Middlesex side containing Desmond Haynes, Mike Gatting, Mark Ramprakash, Angus Fraser, John Emburey and so on at Feethams in the NatWest trophy when Durham was still a Minor County.

Three lads came and sat next to us with a bin liner full of cans. I'm not sure how many cans you can fit in a standard black bin liner before it splits, but it was a lot!
They drank solidly throughout the day, got through the whole lot by tea, then headed to the offy to buy some more.

I remember going to see Durham v Yorks in the Gillette Cup at Ropery Lane in 1978 or 1979. My abiding memory was the 4 skips of empty beer cans at close of play, one at each corner of the ground. An aluminium recyclers dream 😂
I remember that one in 79. Got a ticket for the game and suddenly developed an attack of hay fever on the day which allowed me to bunk off school (the Form teacher didn't mind as he was a cricket fanatic:lol:)

I recall there was the grassy banked area stretching from the Tea Hut to the long gone little kiosk which used to sell sweets and pop which was just a mass of blokes standing drinking cans and cheering on Durham .It was like a mini Roker End especially when Lance Cairns dismissed David Bairstow and Kevin Sharp early on until Boycott scored 92 and won the game.

DURHAM CC 2023 STATS AFTER SUSSEX:

Most Runs - Alex Lees - 1281 (+129)
Most Wickets - Ben Raine - 51 (+3), Matty Potts - 51 (+5)
Most Maidens - Ben Raine - 85 (+3)
Most Overs Bowled - Ben Raine - 438 (+40)
204 Wickets - 112 Catches (55%) - 44 Bowled (21%) - 38 LBW (19%) - 9 Stumpings (4%) - 1 Run Out (1%)
Most 4’s - Alex Lees - 160 (+12)
Most 6’s - David Bedingham - 14 (+0), Ollie Robinson 14 - (+1)
Tosses - Won 5 - Lost 7
Points Gained - 200 (+24)
Point Deductions - 2 (+0)
Runs Scored - 6595 (+562)
Avg 1st inns Score - 432 (+7)
Results - Won 6 - Drew 5 - Lost 1
Declarations - 8 (+1)

MILESTONES
  • HIGHEST SCORE AGAINST SUSSEX 505/9 dec (+32)
  • GRAHAM CLARK HIGHEST FIRST CLASS SCORE (128)
  • BAS de LEEDE HIGHEST DURHAM FIRST CLASS SCORE (103)
  • BEST BOWLING FIGURES - DRISSELL 1/47
  • 33rd DURHAM HAVE SCORED 500+
  • BEST BOWLING FIGURES - PARKINSON 4/58

DURHAM CC 2023 STATS AFTER SUSSEX:

Most Runs - Alex Lees - 1281 (+129)
Most Wickets - Ben Raine - 51 (+3), Matty Potts - 51 (+5)
Most Maidens - Ben Raine - 85 (+3)
Most Overs Bowled - Ben Raine - 438 (+40)
204 Wickets - 112 Catches (55%) - 44 Bowled (21%) - 38 LBW (19%) - 9 Stumpings (4%) - 1 Run Out (1%)
Most 4’s - Alex Lees - 160 (+12)
Most 6’s - David Bedingham - 14 (+0), Ollie Robinson 14 - (+1)
Tosses - Won 5 - Lost 7
Points Gained - 200 (+24)
Point Deductions - 2 (+0)
Runs Scored - 6595 (+562)
Avg 1st inns Score - 432 (+7)
Results - Won 6 - Drew 5 - Lost 1
Declarations - 8 (+1)

MILESTONES
  • HIGHEST SCORE AGAINST SUSSEX 505/9 dec (+32)
  • GRAHAM CLARK HIGHEST FIRST CLASS SCORE (128)
  • BAS de LEEDE HIGHEST DURHAM FIRST CLASS SCORE (103)
  • BEST BOWLING FIGURES - DRISSELL 1/47
  • 33rd DURHAM HAVE SCORED 500+
  • BEST BOWLING FIGURES - PARKINSON 4/58
Still have to pinch myself when looking at that Average First Inns Score of 432 to make sure I'm not dreaming. Incredible.

Although I'd watched and played club cricket, my first ever county match was going as a teenager with my Dad to watch Durham play a Middlesex side containing Desmond Haynes, Mike Gatting, Mark Ramprakash, Angus Fraser, John Emburey and so on at Feethams in the NatWest trophy when Durham was still a Minor County.

Three lads came and sat next to us with a bin liner full of cans. I'm not sure how many cans you can fit in a standard black bin liner before it splits, but it was a lot!
They drank solidly throughout the day, got through the whole lot by tea, then headed to the offy to buy some more.

There’ve been days at the cricket where I’ve knocked a fair bit back, one particular visit to Trent Bridge where we got hammered and so it was medicinal - but you’ve got to be very dedicated to your craft to get on it before 11am on a day where the match could be over within twenty minutes :eek:
Kent sign Chahal the India legspinner for the rest of the season, so I’m guessing Parky won’t be going there for the end of the season. My prediction is we keep him for the Worcestershire game but not the Leicestershire game.

I think Durham are expecting him to be with us for both games now to be fair. Seems odd that Kent would bring in an overseas instead of their own new signing - unless of course Lancashire have put the stop in place.
Just sitting down to watch today's game. What's going on with Marty's voice???

Sounded very much like the Secret Footballer from Athletico Mince :lol:

Another AM reference shoehorned in there @Twisted marra ;).
Doneathy is in shot. Thought he'd been pedalled.

He was there doing 12th man duties.
Still have to pinch myself when looking at that Average First Inns Score of 432 to make sure I'm not dreaming. Incredible.

It’s slightly reminiscent for me of the 2013 title winning season - not in terms of the weight of runs, but in terms of how much better we batted at home than the opposition. The pitches this year have been flat, but we’ve still found a way more often than not to bowl the opposition out fairly cheaply and then go beyond their score.

This game and the Gloucestershire game in particular, as examples of where the opposition batted first and let good positions slip away.

Marty referenced the 49 batting points we scored in 2009 as our best performing season to date, if we get 4 batting points from the last two games we’ll surpass that - which will be some achievement. 2009 was probably still more special, because it was a title winning season in Division One, but this would still be an immense achievement because there’s two fewer games now than in 2009.

The bigger picture now of course is that we need 5 more points to win the title. Not getting over the line last night meant that today felt a little bit of an anti-climax, which I think was heightened with the realisation that we can’t properly celebrate as yet. We can be guaranteed promotion next week without playing of course if Leicestershire get 19 points or less away to Sussex - from there, to win the title, we could achieve that simply by winning the bonus point battle down at Worcester.

Is anyone going down for that?

Last edited:

Back