CC : Durham vs Sussex

There’ve been days at the cricket where I’ve knocked a fair bit back, one particular visit to Trent Bridge where we got hammered and so it was medicinal - but you’ve got to be very dedicated to your craft to get on it before 11am on a day where the match could be over within twenty minutes :eek:

I think Durham are expecting him to be with us for both games now to be fair. Seems odd that Kent would bring in an overseas instead of their own new signing - unless of course Lancashire have put the stop in place.

Sounded very much like the Secret Footballer from Athletico Mince :lol:

Another AM reference shoehorned in there @Twisted marra ;).

He was there doing 12th man duties.

It’s slightly reminiscent for me of the 2013 title winning season - not in terms of the weight of runs, but in terms of how much better we batted at home than the opposition. The pitches this year have been flat, but we’ve still found a way more often than not to bowl the opposition out fairly cheaply and then go beyond their score.

This game and the Gloucestershire game in particular, as examples of where the opposition batted first and let good positions slip away.

Marty referenced the 49 batting points we scored in 2009 as our best performing season to date, if we get 4 batting points from the last two games we’ll surpass that - which will be some achievement. 2009 was probably still more special, because it was a title winning season in Division One, but this would still be an immense achievement because there’s two fewer games now than in 2009.

The bigger picture now of course is that we need 5 more points to win the title. Not getting over the line last night meant that today felt a little bit of an anti-climax, which I think was heightened with the realisation that we can’t properly celebrate as yet. We can be guaranteed promotion next week without playing of course if Leicestershire get 19 points or less away to Sussex - from there, to win the title, we could achieve that simply by winning the bonus point battle down at Worcester.

Is anyone going down for that?
Coughlin was on 12th man until jetting off to play for the seconds.

I thought 5 points more guarantees second place ie promotion, isn't the title a little further off?

I thought 5 points more guarantees second place ie promotion, isn't the title a little further off?
No the title. Leics and Worcs can get a max of 202, were on 198.

They also both have to play us. I’d back us to get 24 points in those games not them.

There’ve been days at the cricket where I’ve knocked a fair bit back, one particular visit to Trent Bridge where we got hammered and so it was medicinal - but you’ve got to be very dedicated to your craft to get on it before 11am on a day where the match could be over within twenty minutes :eek:

I think Durham are expecting him to be with us for both games now to be fair. Seems odd that Kent would bring in an overseas instead of their own new signing - unless of course Lancashire have put the stop in place.

Sounded very much like the Secret Footballer from Athletico Mince :lol:

Another AM reference shoehorned in there @Twisted marra ;).

He was there doing 12th man duties.

It’s slightly reminiscent for me of the 2013 title winning season - not in terms of the weight of runs, but in terms of how much better we batted at home than the opposition. The pitches this year have been flat, but we’ve still found a way more often than not to bowl the opposition out fairly cheaply and then go beyond their score.

This game and the Gloucestershire game in particular, as examples of where the opposition batted first and let good positions slip away.

Marty referenced the 49 batting points we scored in 2009 as our best performing season to date, if we get 4 batting points from the last two games we’ll surpass that - which will be some achievement. 2009 was probably still more special, because it was a title winning season in Division One, but this would still be an immense achievement because there’s two fewer games now than in 2009.

The bigger picture now of course is that we need 5 more points to win the title. Not getting over the line last night meant that today felt a little bit of an anti-climax, which I think was heightened with the realisation that we can’t properly celebrate as yet. We can be guaranteed promotion next week without playing of course if Leicestershire get 19 points or less away to Sussex - from there, to win the title, we could achieve that simply by winning the bonus point battle down at Worcester.

Is anyone going down for that?
I and Mrs Carlton are considering going down , have another commitment that could get in the way of the first day, so depending on how it stands, commitments and of course projected weather we might have a look down, non commital as yet though.

well I'm back.

never in any doubt that result, we are absolutely tremendous. The Bas De Leede boo boys are quiet on social media and on here, so all is good in the world. What a fantastic performance by the lads once again. Mind you how bloody hot was it on day 3, wow :lol:

Graham Clark continuing to do the business, never in doubt he's a class player.

Just keep it going lads, pleasure to watch.

No, 5 points guarantees both, because as things stand we face the oddity of two teams being able to finish on a maximum 202 points (Worcestershire and Leicestershire).
I'd lay odds there'll be a couple wash out days this month & they could be promoted without bowling a ball

We can achieve promotion by not bowling a ball next week because Leicestershire travel to Sussex and anything less than 20 points (or more) for the Foxes will see us promoted.
I and Mrs Carlton are considering going down , have another commitment that could get in the way of the first day, so depending on how it stands, commitments and of course projected weather we might have a look down, non commital as yet though.

It’s a beautiful ground, I’ve been before for a visit but unfortunately there was no cricket being played - it’s one I’d like to go to, especially for the ladies pavilion, but unfortunately I think it’s nigh on impossible for me to get down for the game next week due to commitments elsewhere.
well I'm back.

never in any doubt that result, we are absolutely tremendous. The Bas De Leede boo boys are quiet on social media and on here, so all is good in the world. What a fantastic performance by the lads once again. Mind you how bloody hot was it on day 3, wow :lol:

Welcome home ;).

Last edited:
It’s a beautiful ground, I’ve been before for a visit but unfortunately there was no cricket being played - it’s one I’d like to go to, especially for the ladies pavilion, but unfortunately I think it’s nigh on impossible for me to get down for the game next week due to commitments elsewhere.
Yeah have been to New Road before to watch us play, you’re right it’s a nice ground in a decent setting, and yes we have sampled the fare on offer in the ladies pavilion.

well I'm back.

We took refuge in the middle tier of the family stand to seek relief from the heat

There was a 50 over game a few years back and a group of lads near me were absolutely steaming by about 12pm, and Cans of beer kept appearing, couldnt work out where they were getting them from, later saw them getting the cans out the boot of a nice Car parked next to the media centre, must have been mates of a player who smuggled them in :lol::lol:

We took refuge in the middle tier of the family stand to seek relief from the heat

Silly arse here stayed sat up top of the county durham upper :lol: :lol:
There was a 50 over game a few years back and a group of lads near me were absolutely steaming by about 12pm, and Cans of beer kept appearing, couldnt work out where they were getting them from, later saw them getting the cans out the boot of a nice Car parked next to the media centre, must have been mates of a player who smuggled them in :lol::lol:

Mate of mine always smuggled his cans in for all formats. The days of when we had a home T20 a day after a LVCC game, he would plant his cans in the bushes and retrieve them :lol:

Last edited:
Although I'd watched and played club cricket, my first ever county match was going as a teenager with my Dad to watch Durham play a Middlesex side containing Desmond Haynes, Mike Gatting, Mark Ramprakash, Angus Fraser, John Emburey and so on at Feethams in the NatWest trophy when Durham was still a Minor County.

Three lads came and sat next to us with a bin liner full of cans. I'm not sure how many cans you can fit in a standard black bin liner before it splits, but it was a lot!
They drank solidly throughout the day, got through the whole lot by tea, then headed to the offy to buy some more.

We went to that Durham v Middlesex game on a school trip. I'm guessing it was around the 1986. Iirc was organised by the music teacher who was a very handy opening bat for Thornaby firsts in the NYSD league. If my memory is not playing tricks on me the same year we went down to watch England v Pakistan at headlingly. The abiding memory of that game was Salim Malik getting out for 99. I doubt nowadays it would get signed off that a bunch of 11yo would be allowed to wander about at a test match. Seems crackers thinking about it now ha

Last edited:

Back