CC: Durham vs Leicestershire

Ok the pitch was flat and slow probably why we scored 544 in the first innings but in truth nobody bowled well enough in the second innings and a massive opportunity was missed in running out fatty Cosgrove when he was half way down the pitch but still had time to turn and get his bulk back in the crease
The key was not taking a single wicket in the whole of the first session.
Our promotion cause hasn’t been helped by a generous declaration by Derby against Glous and to be fair they knocked the runs off easily
The promotion battle to me seems to be between us and Northants for third place and we really need to get a positive result ,preferably a win down there

Haway folks, can't blame umps too much, we should have been capable of taking seven wickets in a day.
I'm not blaming the umpires for the draw. Full credit to Leicestershire and full credit to Durham. I've enjoyed 4 days of cricket with both teams giving it absolutely everything. I'm blaming the umpires for the lack of common sense and their blatant attitude in wanting to get off. Wasn't just me in the ground saying they were desperate to get off. Again I reiterate... Well done to both teams, good solid 4 day cricket played in the right spirit. Nice to see my team competing in 4 day cricket after a miserable few seasons.

Last edited:
That was a disappointing result. Usually the bowling bails the batting out, but it was the other way round this game. Lot of hard work put in this game just to get a draw out of it. But fair play to Leicestershire they dug in and managed to hold on. All I really hope for is that we gradually improve and this game was totally different to what has usually been served up over the past few seasons. Massive improvement.

No idea how the umpires came to the conclusion the light was bad. But doubt it made a big difference to the outcome.

I'm not blaming the umpires for the draw. Full credit to Leicestershire and full credit to Durham. I've enjoyed 4 days of cricket with both teams giving it absolutely everything. I'm blaming the umpires for the lack of common sense and their blatant attitude in wanting to get off. Wasn't just me in the ground saying they were desperate to get off. Again I reiterate... Well done to both teams, good solid 4 day cricket played in the right spirit. Nice to see my team competing in 4 day cricket after a miserable few seasons.
There has been significant improvement in Durham both as a team and certain individuals as this season has gone on.
I think they are moving in the right direction in all 3 forms of the game.

There has been significant improvement in Durham both as a team and certain individuals as this season has gone on.
I think they are moving in the right direction in all 3 forms of the game.
I was encouraged massively with the one day cup as last season was embarrassing. Scott Steel the main positive. On the whole not that arsed with the T20 stuff, it's a night out etc. Red ball cricket unbelievably encouraged and with Franklin I believe we've made progress and will continue to make progress. I'm enjoying watching us whereas last season it was predictable and an absolute chore. Big opportunity missed today but 3 to go we still have a chance of promotion. I'm more than satisfied with the season so far

We had no chance of winning the moment the umpires spoke with Eckersley about the light. He was forced to put the 2 spinners on to stay on the field. It meant that we would not bat because the Leicester captain is under no obligation to put his spinners on ! As soon as he indicated that he was using his pace bowlers the Umpires would have took the teams off.
4 old fellers in front of me, working out all the permutations, overs left, score to chase etc, not realising we would never get the chance to bat.

We had no chance of winning the moment the umpires spoke with Eckersley about the light. He was forced to put the 2 spinners on to stay on the field. It meant that we would not bat because the Leicester captain is under no obligation to put his spinners on ! As soon as he indicated that he was using his pace bowlers the Umpires would have took the teams off.
4 old fellers in front of me, working out all the permutations, overs left, score to chase etc, not realising we would never get the chance to bat.
That's assuming, of course, that the light wouldn't improve which it appeared to do.

Never going to get a result on that pitch, worrying trend wicket appears to get flatter and slower as the game goes on. Was there most of yesterday, and thought it was dull cricket. Need some help for the bowlers, especially on day 3 and 4. Draws will never get us back in div 1, or encourage spectators back into the ground.

Never going to get a result on that pitch, worrying trend wicket appears to get flatter and slower as the game goes on. Was there most of yesterday, and thought it was dull cricket. Need some help for the bowlers, especially on day 3 and 4. Draws will never get us back in div 1, or encourage spectators back into the ground.
I'm not sure how much control Vic has got over the wicket, it either does too much or not enough it seems.

I'm not sure how much control Vic has got over the wicket, it either does too much or not enough it seems.
He's got total control over the wicket. The weather, particularly cloud cover and dampness,we're blamed for the poor scores but this last game suggests these factors aren't that influential.

He's got total control over the wicket. The weather, particularly cloud cover and dampness,we're blamed for the poor scores but this last game suggests these factors aren't that influential.
I mean it doesn't turn out as he wanted, he obviously has operational control.

And it was breezy. That can sometimes affect swing.

It's a lot better than what it was like last season

Back