CC : Durham v Hampshire

Still carrying on with my 'Continue until they lose a Championship match' contract it's all systems go folks.

Well after seven years in the wilderness we return to the promised land of Division One and just look who are first opponents are at the Riverside- none other than our friends from Hampshire.:lol:

Last season's red ball campaign was beyond the wildest dreams of even the most optimistic of posters as we waltzed to the title under Cambo playing positive cricket throughout and I can't see any reason why he will change this outlook even with the decision to revert back to eight points for a draw.

Obviously no team news yet but the coach is in a happy position of being spoilt for choice with his options as to who will make the starting XI on Friday the 5th. Of the three signings Ackermann already looks like an excellent acquisition and if Callum Parkinson makes as much of an impact as his twin did last season then there should be no complaints. As for Boland well I can't imagine many of our opponents looking forward to facing a potential pace attack of him, Potts, Carse and Raine.

Our opponents finished third in the Championship behind Surrey and Essex in 2023 and their two overseas players are veteran Saffer Kyle Abbott and also Mohammad Abbas who I'm sure we all remember from his Leicestershire days when he took two 5fers in the same day as they dismissed us for 61 and 66 in the same day. Oh and speaking of nemesis they still have a certain Keith Barker in their line up at well.:eek:
They are captained by James Vince and have added Sussex opener Ali Orr to their ranks for 2024 while forgotten man Mason Crane is off for a season's loan at Glamorgan.

God knows what the weather will be like but let's hope its better than the crap we've endured for the last six months and with it being a Friday start let's hope it can tempt those who work during the week to be able to get to the ground and witness that rarest of things - red ball cricket played on a weekend.

Finally Haway Durham let's sent Bransgrove's Boys back down south with their tails between their legs!

Still carrying on with my 'Continue until they lose a Championship match' contract it's all systems go folks.

Well after seven years in the wilderness we return to the promised land of Division One and just look who are first opponents are at the Riverside- none other than our friends from Hampshire.:lol:

Last season's red ball campaign was beyond the wildest dreams of even the most optimistic of posters as we waltzed to the title under Cambo playing positive cricket throughout and I can't see any reason why he will change this outlook even with the decision to revert back to eight points for a draw.

Obviously no team news yet but the coach is in a happy position of being spoilt for choice with his options as to who will make the starting XI on Friday the 5th. Of the three signings Ackermann already looks like an excellent acquisition and if Callum Parkinson makes as much of an impact as his twin did last season then there should be no complaints. As for Boland well I can't imagine many of our opponents looking forward to facing a potential pace attack of him, Potts, Carse and Raine.

Our opponents finished third in the Championship behind Surrey and Essex in 2023 and their two overseas players are veteran Saffer Kyle Abbott and also Mohammad Abbas who I'm sure we all remember from his Leicestershire days when he took two 5fers in the same day as they dismissed us for 61 and 66 in the same day. Oh and speaking of nemesis they still have a certain Keith Barker in their line up at well.:eek:
They are captained by James Vince and have added Sussex opener Ali Orr to their ranks for 2024 while forgotten man Mason Crane is off for a season's loan at Glamorgan.

God knows what the weather will be like but let's hope its better than the crap we've endured for the last six months and with it being a Friday start let's hope it can tempt those who work during the week to be able to get to the ground and witness that rarest of things - red ball cricket played on a weekend.

Finally Haway Durham let's sent Bransgrove's Boys back down south with their tails between their legs!
Great start to the season and lets hope you have still got the gig at the back end of September.
Making my seasonal debut on the Saturday.

HA’WAY!!!

Happy New Season everyone!!! I’m too giddy to reply properly now, but I’ll be back later to bore you all with far too many words ;).

Haway Durham. We are strong and well prepared but this is a step up and teams like Hampshire are a quality outfit

I’m interested to see how we do

I can’t remember a team get talked up as much as Durham after promotion, every podcast and paper I’ve read really rates us

It’s unusual mindset for me after last few years.

Last edited:
Is Scotty B available?

A four prong attack of Boland, Potts, Carse and Raine is ridiculous on paper, plus the batting lineup looks competitive at this level.

Genuine butterflies about this season, we could finish anywhere from first to last.

We can make all the days play for the first three home games. The first 11 look really strong with some excellent players in the wings. Hope they get off to a good start and have a good season

Is Scotty B available?

A four prong attack of Boland, Potts, Carse and Raine is ridiculous on paper, plus the batting lineup looks competitive at this level.

Genuine butterflies about this season, we could finish anywhere from first to last.
Apparently will be playing in friendly at Headingley as will Lees, Clark and Robinson and probably Bedingham as he arrived the other day.

Is Boland here yet?

Delighted Bedders is back. There seemed to be a suggestion a few weeks ago that he would miss the start. Was speaking to Michael Jones at the players evening last week and he was telling us what a brilliant player DB is.

Now the warm up games are complete our XI v Hampshire should be imo
Lees
Borthwick
Ackerman
Bedingham
Robinson
Carse
DeLeede
Raine
Parkinson
Potts
Boland
Like the look of that. Bit harsh on Clark miss out after the season he had last year, but I suppose someone has to miss out. If Potts and Boland play I may play Clark ahead of de leede to shore up the batting

Last edited:

Back