Cbeebies scrap Fireman Sam and Bob the builder due to a gender imbalance

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 'gender imbalance in cartoons is often Stark' according to the station controller. PC running wild once more.
Seems like they have the Native American police officer sorted.

No I'd do work based on the merits of the actual job and if they appeal to me. Recently I've had a lot of merchandising work for beer and spirits which are heavy to lift onto a cage and then push it out and lift them onto the fixture. Some warehouse blokes have said it's not really a job for a woman, but I get stuck in and surprise them with how much stuff I can lift!

Got a daughter who wants to be a scientist when she is older.
Like the barmaid at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. She was carrying 14 x 1 litre steins lkke they were cotton wool.

Last edited:
Meh. Who cares?

Maybe it’ll do some good to have female characters in lead roles on children’s TV.

I’m sure blokes drinking shit beer will moan about it in the pub though.

Something something PC blah blah blah.
Are. You serious?

Is the gender imbalance mentioned at the start to do with an even balance of lead characters rather than the job they do in those shows ?

Gender imbalance in certain job roles has more to do with individuals aspirations than employment norms.

Take welding for example. If you were to conduct a straw poll there'd be a higher percentage of males say yes to this as a career than females. The door is open to both and people should be given jobs on merit, not gender. But the balance is in favour of males. That's okay.

You apply the same philosophy to any other job role and the balance will naturally shift, sometimes in favour if females preferring and having higher employment rates than males. That's okay too.

Even though the op is bollocks, that's actually a reasonable argument FOR a shift in gender balance in kids cartoons.

Unless you believe the Y chromosome somehow confers better welding or firefighting skills than the imbalance is nurture not nature so we have effectively taught girls at a young age that they are best off working behind the counter at the post office or running the village grocery store than walking about fighting fires and delivering letters. Maybe we should be looking at kids tv shows to see if, even if they arent a direct cause, they can be used as a tool to help redress the imbalance.

That's a shame, I used to enjoy watching naughty Norman Price constantly starting accidental fires and endangering every man, woman, child and animal in pontapandy ffs :lol:. Pc gone mad, when will this shit ever end ffs :confused:.

Meh. Who cares?

Maybe it’ll do some good to have female characters in lead roles on children’s TV.

I’m sure blokes drinking shit beer will moan about it in the pub though.

Something something PC blah blah blah.
They haven't had fireman sam since 2008 and bob the builder since 2012. They are releasing a new series with a female lead and havent scrapped a thing. The right wing white male woe is me types have twisted the story beyond belief.

Last edited:
Even though the op is bollocks, that's actually a reasonable argument FOR a shift in gender balance in kids cartoons.

Unless you believe the Y chromosome somehow confers better welding or firefighting skills than the imbalance is nurture not nature so we have effectively taught girls at a young age that they are best off working behind the counter at the post office or running the village grocery store than walking about fighting fires and delivering letters. Maybe we should be looking at kids tv shows to see if, even if they arent a direct cause, they can be used as a tool to help redress the imbalance.

I think we are largely arguing the same point. If you took popular opinion today, there would be a spectrum of male, gender neutral and female preferred jobs. If you re adjust the thought process from an early age by means of tv media and other influencing sources, this would change in the future.

In both instances, it's okay for either gender to have a preference.

Correct for example midwives. I actually think the jobs suited more to females. I bet most women giving birth would be more at ease with a female midwife than a bloke.

I’m all for equality I have a daughter and wouldn’t want her to be prevented from doing what she wants. However fact remains some jobs suit a particular sex more than the other. Nothing wrong with that and there will always be exceptions to that.
Agreed. There are no complaints when nearly all sewer workers or refuse collectors are male, or nurses being mostly female.

You honestly think this is the kind of thing blokes in the pub worry about? You need to get out more.
Or get out less.

Frijj’s mates: Look at the legs on that...

Frijj: I don’t think there is any place for that sort of talk in here. More to the point why are there so few female lead characters in children’s cartoons lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back