Cbeebies scrap Fireman Sam and Bob the builder due to a gender imbalance

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 31333

The 'gender imbalance in cartoons is often Stark' according to the station controller. PC running wild once more.

Gender imbalance in certain job roles has more to do with individuals aspirations than employment norms.

Take welding for example. If you were to conduct a straw poll there'd be a higher percentage of males say yes to this as a career than females. The door is open to both and people should be given jobs on merit, not gender. But the balance is in favour of males. That's okay.

You apply the same philosophy to any other job role and the balance will naturally shift, sometimes in favour if females preferring and having higher employment rates than males. That's okay too.

Brilliant imo. The fire service and building industry will be overwhelmed with female applicants in 15 years now. Well done bbc, this may well have single handedly solved the problem with the lack of female representation in these roles, and gender stereotypes!

Still not enough female septic tank maintainers though, if only the beeb could solve this along with other problems I didn’t know we had.

According to Wikipedia fireman Sam has been on channel 5 since 2008 anyway
BBC stopped showing Bob the Builder in 2012, and when he came back (as CGI instead of stop-motion) he was done by Mattel and sold to Channel 5.

OP is talking nonsense!

Becs, do you have list of jobs you do and wouldn't do? Just for balance.

No I'd do work based on the merits of the actual job and if they appeal to me. Recently I've had a lot of merchandising work for beer and spirits which are heavy to lift onto a cage and then push it out and lift them onto the fixture. Some warehouse blokes have said it's not really a job for a woman, but I get stuck in and surprise them with how much stuff I can lift!

Got a daughter who wants to be a scientist when she is older.

Gender imbalance in certain job roles has more to do with individuals aspirations than employment norms.

Take welding for example. If you were to conduct a straw poll there'd be a higher percentage of males say yes to this as a career than females. The door is open to both and people should be given jobs on merit, not gender. But the balance is in favour of males. That's okay.

You apply the same philosophy to any other job role and the balance will naturally shift, sometimes in favour if females preferring and having higher employment rates than males. That's okay too.

Correct for example midwives. I actually think the jobs suited more to females. I bet most women giving birth would be more at ease with a female midwife than a bloke.

I’m all for equality I have a daughter and wouldn’t want her to be prevented from doing what she wants. However fact remains some jobs suit a particular sex more than the other. Nothing wrong with that and there will always be exceptions to that.

OP obviously bollocks but surely Fire Fighter Penny Morris gives some balance in Sam, even if she is easy on the eye. And in Bob, there's Wendy; I can't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure she mucks in. The rest of the crew are tenderness machines apart from Spug.

Back