Cashing in is biting the owners in the ass

20/20 hindsight's a wonderful thing. You can't change the past. All I'm saying is that the decision made in January was rational. And if the Will Grigg who played in this division before had turned up, the argument would probably be academic. It's at least arguable that our season changed the moment he missed that sitter in his debut.

Do you never answer a question? What sort of revenue will a second and third season in this division cost us? That's literally all I asked.

Do you never answer a question? What sort of revenue will a second and third season in this division cost us? That's literally all I asked.

Depends on the drop off in gates. There's an possibility of an extra £6m in media, plus increased gates on promotion, but that's likely to be counterbalanced by at least as much in additional wage demands. The revenue loss is somewhere between £400-600k per 1,000 gate (it's hard to be precise, because that includes commercial income as well as just the gate money). Your implication was that selling Maja cost us more in the long run than keeping him would. I'm asserting that of Grigg had fired as he had done in the past, that argument may have been academic. In my view, selling Maja when we did was the right decision at the time.

We have sold anybody who can bring in cash, thinking we could easily replace them and it has killed us.
Maja - Donald forced a decision
Honeyman - didn’t ask to leave
James - signed a new contract
Matthews - we thought he was too expensive.

All of their replacements have failed miserably as our scouting is diabolical. I predict that we will go the same route with John Mc and Luke O’Nein if someone offers cash. Maybe even young Denver could go !!!
We haven’t cashed in on anyone, we hardly made millions by selling them

Depends on the drop off in gates. There's an possibility of an extra £6m in media, plus increased gates on promotion, but that's likely to be counterbalanced by at least as much in additional wage demands. The revenue loss is somewhere between £400-600k per 1,000 gate (it's hard to be precise, because that includes commercial income as well as just the gate money). Your implication was that selling Maja cost us more in the long run than keeping him would. I'm asserting that of Grigg had fired as he had done in the past, that argument may have been academic. In my view, selling Maja when we did was the right decision at the time.
OK thanks. To return to your earlier point there's no 20/20 hindsight required when people said both it and the Grigg fee were both mistakes.

Pretty much every player that has left has been replaced by someone significantly worse.

When Charlie Methven and Donald Stewart said about how they could get rid of one high earner and bring in 5 or 6 league one players for the same money, I was banging my head against a brick wall about how 1 player with even just flashes of skill and occasional brilliance would be better than 6 cloggers.

Example: Despite promising us he didn't have to, Donald Stewart actually got rid of Brian Oviedo, replaced him with Laurens De Bock and is still paying Oviedo's wages. The man is the epitome of incompetence
The point about replacing with worse than we already had shows the fundamental problem in Donald’s wage reduction strategy. We have a worse squad now than we had 12 months ago and a manager who doesn’t seem to be able to motivate anybody. Minimum we need in January is an IN FORM striker, who is scoring goals. Not another target man or someone who can’t get a game somewhere else. Then we have a chance of making the play offs.
You smell of Bisto.
You smell like Charlie 😂

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but reference to CM. Saw the Fleetwood press officer today. Told me that when they scored at the SOL last season, as usual, they celebrated. They being himself, the club owner and some of Barton's pals. As much as we dislike Barton and probably all connected, they were simply celebrating their small club taking the lead at Sunderland.

He told me that when we equalised, CM decided to run down the stairs and stand in front of them clenching fists whilst staring at them intensely. Obviously Barton's buddies were not impressed and had to be restrained. One of them suggested he'd catch up with CM in the exec lounge at half time. CM was nowhere to be seen.

Now this is one side to the story, but the press guy is a fairly unassuming lad. He says they weren't milking it, but CM came over a total wanker. The other way of looking at it, is CM was being passionate about the club. For me, it just sounds very amateurish and provocative. Fan banter and a few gesiticulations is fine, but not sure our owners need to be doing stuff like that. The guy described CM as an absolute wanker and gobshite from the moment he met him.

Last edited:
As it's that time of year, I'll quote Dickens;

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Mr Micawber in David Copperfield.

We needed to get the books balanced. Only Maja wasn't on wages disproportionate to our income, and he wanted to leave.

As its that time of the year, I'll quote the owners of this football club;

'We don't need to sell our high earners. We have the best finances in the football league'.

Last edited:
We haven’t cashed in on anyone, we hardly made millions by selling them
Dortmund model iirc
OK thanks. To return to your earlier point there's no 20/20 hindsight required when people said both it and the Grigg fee were both mistakes.
Again no.

Name another player bought by a League One team for £3m. A quick look at his form guide suggested he's had only one good season and was out of condition* because he's only made a handful of appearances in the Championship. Our crack recruitment team could've see beyond the "Will Grigg's on fire" chant.

All of the above could've been prevented by decent scouting. As a side note it might've been a good idea to ask how keen he was to join as he certainly hasn't looked it the whole time he's been here.

*In reality he was injured and couldn't play.

Last edited:
Maja was off regardless. He was offered what he wanted, his agent was in his ear, and to be fair, it's looking like he made a good career decision, bagging hat-tricks in the French top league. Will likely earn another decent move or two and be set for life.

Aye, this
Maja was offered what he wanted according to Donald. We all know what Donald says isn’t necessarily true.

Apparently Charlie Methven been playing billy big bollocks again in a fall out with the Red and white army(RAWA) group. Had the following message forwarded to me-
'My Pal works in the club and there is something big going off with RAWA. Charlie has slated the fans and Northern people when questioned on the loan/investment at some meeting last week. Full details are being kept from fans but he was under pressure and RAWA were challenging him and he's lost it and some big argument went on. He's massively overstepped the line this time and he's never been seen since. NDA's are flying about and club are trying to stop this coming out. The boy is sick of how Methven is walking around disrespecting people and throwing his weight about to stop things coming out. Club is a Shambles from the top down'

Just wanted to put it out there as another example of Charlies sparkling PR skills.apparently ended the meeting by slating northerners,telling them to leave the business to Southerners and walked off. This is OUR club remember

No doubt the above will be deleted as the club has this site in their pocket but why shouldn’t people be allowed to chat about the utter cûnt Methvan is

Last edited:

Back