Carl Winchester

None of us have heard of him, he's playing in the league below and isn't going to whelm anyone. However, you never know, he might just turn out to be a hidden gem. Good luck to the lad and let's hope he can make a difference

Johnson did say some signings would be “unfashionable” and this one certainly fits that description.

As you say, I doubt anyone has seen him play and he surely can’t be worse than Dobson!

Seems like a bog standard lower division player to me. Need to be signing players of Championship quality, not league 1, 2 quality players. The secret of footballing success is to sign players capable of and who should be playing in the league above you

This just be a continuation of the Stuart Donald transfer picy of signing free lower league players and hoping for the best. So far out of those that we've signed, to a man they have been poor.

The only players I can think of who we've signed from the league below have been O'Nien and MacFazdean. Given than O'Nien has probably been our best signing under Donald, I'd have much rather we picked good players from that league, than rejects from the Championship.

Looks like Dobson's replacement is like for like
He doesn’t scream quality but does bag the odd goal, sounds reasonably physical and mobile and is regarded as a good passer of the ball. In truth he doesn’t need to be amazing to improve our midfield and Johnson obviously thinks he can rely on him. A bit meh but may be the glue that brings midfield together. I’ll reserve judgment for now.

If he's just a straight swap for Dobson then fair dos. He literally can't be any worse.
Dobson gets nowhere near the team though so not sure he needs replacing. We should be looking to improve on Scowen & Power. Not saying this lad won’t be an improvement because I haven’t seen him play but if he was a decent player surely he’d have been signed up by someone by now at his age. He’s moved down in leagues in his 20s which ain’t a good sign imo.

Poyet said he’d take Bridcutt to Real Madrid and he was shite. This signing screams similar to the Bridcutt one.
It screams nothing to me, I hope we’ve picked up a decent player that’ll be buzzing to sign for a club of our stature.

I’ll certainly reserve judgement until I’ve seen how he fits in to LJ’s plans.

Seems like a bog standard lower division player to me. Need to be signing players of Championship quality, not league 1, 2 quality players. The secret of footballing success is to sign players capable of and who should be playing in the league above you

Trouble is the salary cap wouldn't allow us to sign championship quality players. Ideally we should be signing mainly younger players who have the potential to improve. This lad is 27, but maybe he'll do a job, I couldn't tell you a thing about him.

He doesn’t scream quality but does bag the odd goal, sounds reasonably physical and mobile and is regarded as a good passer of the ball. In truth he doesn’t need to be amazing to improve our midfield and Johnson obviously thinks he can rely on him. A bit meh but may be the glue that brings midfield together. I’ll reserve judgment for now.
Surely there’s more players out there than a player that played for Oldham 5 year ago under Lee Johnson? Goes back to our scouting network consisting of looking at players who are capped at international level.

Let's give the lad a chance. LJ did say recently that we would sometimes get signings that weren't well known/exciting. Our current midfield is woeful so he may well be a better fit than some of them.

This is more important in a signing than the league they come from, imo.

We’ve signed players from Championship level and they’ve generally been shite because they offered nothing that we needed.

Back