Car wont start advice

So I have a 2.5 year old Toyota CHR and it has a 5 year warranty, left it over Xmas for three days and now it won't start. It isnt the battery directly as tried jumping it from another car and its complaining about the Parking system unvailable so the hybrid engine won't start.

Called the dealership and they have said I need to get the car to them independently and then they'll take a look, explained that it wont start and they have essentially said tough you need to get it to us. Does this sound right? Also how the feck will I get it to them?

Cheers
They’re all ***** tbf. Had my 2 year old car 7 weeks. Although I told them there was a knocking noise from engine bay. Rang the, e mails them, on line chat and they didn’t give a shit. Got RAC out and got took straight in to different garage. Clutch and gear box needs replacing at 13000 miles. They still don’t give a shit…taking legal advice….

excellent. i'd still take it in to them in case it's got something wrong that's draining the battery. i'm only saying as the mrs had a similar situation and it ended up being the alternator that was goosed.
was there any warnings left on when you had it for a run?
Nope all cleared I'm guessing it didn't have enough power to boot up all the various things it needs - I'll see what its like in the morning and ask them to take a look. Cheers!

It used to be relatively simple - fuel, air, spark, compression and timing.

Cars are so complicated these days I would never try to fix anything myself.
That’s the big plan .

My rear washer jet was fucked - used to clean them with a needle back in the day. Couldn’t get it off - garage job . The part alone - which is 15mm diameter was £52 !!

Oh and you needed a special tool to undo the fucker- it’s a stitch up.

Needed new battery once - stop start job - only available at main dealership £250. Oh and then they had to reset the car computer so the battery could “talk” to something or other.

Last edited:
That’s the big plan .

My rear washer jet was fucked - used to clean them with a needle back in the day. Couldn’t get it off - garage job . The part alone - which is 15mm diameter was £52 !!

Oh and you needed a special tool to undo the fucker- it’s a stitch up.

Needed new battery once - stop start job - only available at main dealership £250. Oh and then they had to reset the car computer so the battery could “talk” to something or other.
that's ridiculous.
although i like a reliable newish car i'm happier with older motorbikes that you can fettle and tinker with yourself.

Thanks for all your advice and I've noted the recovery number @JAZZMANB thanks! After sticking it on a battery charger for 5 hours it started first time so just got back from a half an hour blast up the motorway etc.
Is the battery smaller on these cars? Even so, 3 days is a bit short to run flat so could be a potential battery drain or a faulty battery, maybe a faulty alternator.

The fact it wouldn't jump yet started after a charge is something I'd be wary of. Even with an OK battery flat, a jump (after leaving cables on a short while) usually gets enough residual power for all the required electrics to work properly to start the car. It could be the battery itself but hopefully Toyota can do that for you and it looks like it should be covered in the warranty.

Last edited:
Worked at a Toyota dealership for five years, only thing to ever go wrong were CHR starter batteries, problem after problem with them. New spec batteries are now fitted, we often knew they were faulty when cars came in but couldn’t get the diagnostic equipment to prove it, so had a dummy dead battery to get them through the warranty process. Cars wouldn’t return with the same fault.
We also fitted solar battery chargers to customers cars as they would go flat so quickly.

Back