Car wont start advice

Flip

Winger
So I have a 2.5 year old Toyota CHR and it has a 5 year warranty, left it over Xmas for three days and now it won't start. It isnt the battery directly as tried jumping it from another car and its complaining about the Parking system unvailable so the hybrid engine won't start.

Called the dealership and they have said I need to get the car to them independently and then they'll take a look, explained that it wont start and they have essentially said tough you need to get it to us. Does this sound right? Also how the feck will I get it to them?

Cheers

So I have a 2.5 year old Toyota CHR and it has a 5 year warranty, left it over Xmas for three days and now it won't start. It isnt the battery directly as tried jumping it from another car and its complaining about the Parking system unvailable so the hybrid engine won't start.

Called the dealership and they have said I need to get the car to them independently and then they'll take a look, explained that it wont start and they have essentially said tough you need to get it to us. Does this sound right? Also how the feck will I get it to them?

Cheers
Is it not the jump leads are not a heavy enough gauge ,? I no nothing about hybrids like

What does the warranty say? If you can’t start the car how, as you say, could they expect you to get the car to them. Will they refund the costs if the fault is covered by the warranty?

Do you have AA membership or something? Does it cover a call-out to your home. Could you get them out so they can tell you what’s potentially wrong? Then you can at least have a conversation with the dealership about it being covered by warranty.

That’s all I got. I know nowt about cars.

Cheers
I’ve got one..can’t wait to get rid of it to be honest..it’s called a Hybrid but the electric battery hardly ever comes on..if I’m doing 20 - 30 mph along Fulwell Road it’s on..head up Station Road towards the Grange it’s off..to answer your question would a local garage be able to tow you there?

I’ve got one..can’t wait to get rid of it to be honest..it’s called a Hybrid but the electric battery hardly ever comes on..if I’m doing 20 - 30 mph along Fulwell Road it’s on..head up Station Road towards the Grange it’s off..to answer your question would a local garage be able to tow you there?
Coz the hybrid part is only for slow speeds and short distances.

I’m assuming its an automatic? If so if park isn’t available it won’t start I’d suspect, so may not be the battery at all, maybe a gear thing.
if you have aa check what is covered may well be you could call em out and get em to recover to the garage if they can’t get it started

Last edited:
Thanks all - I'm going to try and get a trickle charger and if that doesnt work will need to shell out for AA or RAC or a local roadside tow recovery type service. P@ssed off with the dealership mind at Toyota Belmont

It complains about the parking brake system but googling seems to mean its normally linked to battery being drained.
What does the warranty say? If you can’t start the car how, as you say, could they expect you to get the car to them. Will they refund the costs if the fault is covered by the warranty?

Do you have AA membership or something? Does it cover a call-out to your home. Could you get them out so they can tell you what’s potentially wrong? Then you can at least have a conversation with the dealership about it being covered by warranty.

That’s all I got. I know nowt about cars.
Cheers - will see what it looks like after trickle charge then see if I need to shell out for AA

Last edited:
Thanks all - I'm going to try and get a trickle charger and if that doesnt work will need to shell out for AA or RAC or a local roadside tow recovery type service. P@ssed off with the dealership mind at Toyota Belmont

It complains about the parking brake system but googling seems to mean its normally linked to battery being drained.

Cheers - will see what it looks like after trickle charge then see if I need to shell out for AA
Sounds like a battery issue, if its almost drained, you will probably see lots of error messages popping up. Try a good set of heavy duty jump leads.
Have you got a meter? trying measuring the voltage from battery.

I’d def try charging it more.
In our old PHEV if the normal battery was low it’d come back with similar errors and not start.
AA came and said battery needed replacing, at a ridiculous price. Got it charged and started and then checked out at dealers who said there were no errors and everything was fine.
Turned out the Mrs had ran the battery down by leaving things plugged in and charging. Never had another problem after that.

Call Toyota customer services, they should help as the car is still under warranty.

Back