Can we also please invest in the Best Coach Available

Most managers/coaches are good managers/coaches if they have money to spend, likewise most managers/coaches are poor managers/coaches if they have to sow a silk purse with a cows ear. It maybe happened from time to time in the past, but It will rarely happen in the modern game. I actually think if Sunderland currently had even a shit hot striker, they would be in 4th or 5th in the table, but good strikers cost, if not in money, then wages, Even Vardy will probably on a 75-100k a week, if not more.

Last edited:

I personally have less confidence in the regime than I had back then as Neil and Mowbray could both be considered a success. It looked like they had a plan and that the 7th place we were sitting in wasn't good enough. Now I'm of the opinion that they don't know what they're doing and successes now look like flukes. I think I'm right in saying that Neil applied for the job, rather than being identified, not sure about Mowbray but it didn't take much data to come up with his name. Beale was a bizarre decision and an uneccessary gamble.

Couple that with the most recent player recruitment and disposal, it suggests that the 'data' isn't working as well as we hoped. Still might be great, I know very little about him, but he's never managed a club like Sunderland, it's not the same as managinging a little French club with no expectations. He has very little experience and he learned his trade on Football Manager.

If it was up to me I'd be giving him a swerve, just seems like another gamble.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts too.
Going with someone like Still looks like they’re doubling down on some sort of extreme experiment, determined to prove their plan is worth persevering with.

I don’t think they’ll go for Cooper (mainly due to the salary) but I hope they go for someone with more experience than Still.

I’m not averse to a foreign coach but I’d prefer one with some decent experience behind him.

Back