Camping (tents not posh camping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love it or hate it and why?

Love it. Done all the Wainwrights over the last 12 years from a tent and often camp for Sunderland away games at the start and end of the season. Done all the Scottish league grounds and probably more than half of them from a campsite. A mate and me camped just outside Southend recently for a tenner per night each for two nights.

If you have the gear its a doddle and I love the solitude of it when I go on my own. I have camped in Scotland at -6 degrees in February and it was fine. You just need the right gear and clothing. I can pitch up in 15 mins after arrival and be all set. The more you do it the quicker it gets.

Last edited:
Love the idea of it but when inevitably wake up at 4am with a bad back and it’s raining I always regret it. Trying to get your boots on in that awful porch bit without bringing mud into the tent or getting everything soaking wet.

American camping where you load up a massive truck with jet skis bbqs etc and camp somewhere warm by the side of a lake on the other hand

Love it. Get to go to some beautiful places, right on lake sides, river banks, deep in forests. Loads of peace, fresh air and wildlife.

I love getting up on a morning when it is still cool and just sitting there quietly in a jumper and shorts with a cup of tea.

Not so good if it turns wet and cold though.

Love it, love being outdoors as a whole, don't even mind a bit or wind or rain, especially if it's at night when I'm tucked up in the sleeping bag. Learned early on not to pitch on sunken ground, now that was miserable.

Camped all over Europe particularly when the two kids were little, had some great times, seen some great things. Camped facing Mont Blanc and on the Bay of Venice. Had dolphins right outside the tent.

As above it's all about the gear, if you've got shit gear it'll be shit to put your wet boots on in the "porch bit" and you'll get a bad back. If you've got good kit appropriate to your needs you're all good to go.

We've had touring caravans for the past eight years though, but the old Cabanon is still in the garage.

Love it. We have a campervan and it lets the kids gowild. Try to get away every few weeks. Going to Scarborough next week and I'll probaly be sleeping in the awning with the eldest.

Also it allows you to go to somw bloody fantastic places for not a lot. We're members of the Caravan and Camping Club and go along to the rallies they put on for around £8-10 per unit per night. The less facilities the better!

I hope this doesnt come under 'posh camping' though.

Last edited:
Love it.
Bit too old and stiff for roughing it now but having bought a decent air framed tent and a 12cm self inflating mat I can still camp Europe for 2 weeks at a time no bother
Can set up full camp for a stay in about 40 mins (bed, table, camping cupboard leckky the lot ) and be cooking. If I'm just passing through the 2 man can be up in 15 mins for an overnight and a gas brew.
Nothing beats that early breakfast with just the birdsong or that midsummer bottle of red watching the sun sink.

As people have said it's a bit shit if it rains over a protracted period but there's nothing wrong with watching a thunder storm roll in across a valley from under a decent porch (last time near verdun you could feel the ground bounce) , not much joy peering out of a rain lashed two man for two days mind.

These threads usually have their fair share of people who have never been camping saying it's shit and they prefer the Ritz, when in reality they do neither.

Pros and cons.

Liked getting about places and the getting close to nature and all that.

Dislike having to walk to the toilet block for a wee in the night or queuing up to have a shower after a day on the beach.

I ride with the Harley Davidson riders club GB and have rally every 2 weeks from May to August we all camp from the Friday and Saturday, it's great fun a bit wild but great mates

Love it, especially wild camping up in Scotland.
Seen some amazing sunrises and sunsets in the Lake District and over the lochs and hills of Scotland. The main reason I enjoy it though is to get away from all the hustle of modern life; phone off and back to basics for a few days is heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back