Camping (tents not posh camping)

Love it.

I've done it since I was a kid and I got a love for the outdoors. So have done it all my life.

Myself and the missus camped camped in the UK before we went to Aus but then when we moved it went to another level. I ended up buying a trailer I had so much stuff. A brilliant tent, a gazebo, camp beds and a good BBQ + more and it was an amazing set up for a few days. We went away with friends and one of my mates was an engineer in the army and he built a full water system in his trailer for instant hot water for a shower. We bush camped but the place had running water so were well served there. Spent the days messing about on the river or taking 4x4s off on trails. Loved it.

Mind, when we decided to move back home I decided I couldn't be bothered with the set up/take down when it will probably be raining. So bought a caravan instead which is sited in north yorkshire. So doesn't get about anywhere.

Now I'm hiring a VW camper this weekend to see how we get on with that and may buy a VW van to do a conversion on that.

Love it. Done it every (not quite true, missed 2 years) year for the last 30 years.

France only. Not interested in freezing to death in this country.
Thinking about a dash to France back end of June, see how the weather looks. Not got too long so will probably do a one shot drive, loire or troyes way.
I like colmar but it's just that bit far for a one day run.

Love it.

I've done it since I was a kid and I got a love for the outdoors. So have done it all my life.

Myself and the missus camped camped in the UK before we went to Aus but then when we moved it went to another level. I ended up buying a trailer I had so much stuff. A brilliant tent, a gazebo, camp beds and a good BBQ + more and it was an amazing set up for a few days. We went away with friends and one of my mates was an engineer in the army and he built a full water system in his trailer for instant hot water for a shower. We bush camped but the place had running water so were well served there. Spent the days messing about on the river or taking 4x4s off on trails. Loved it.

Mind, when we decided to move back home I decided I couldn't be bothered with the set up/take down when it will probably be raining. So bought a caravan instead which is sited in north yorkshire. So doesn't get about anywhere.

Now I'm hiring a VW camper this weekend to see how we get on with that and may buy a VW van to do a conversion on that.

Ours is a converted Toyota Hi-ace with a high top. My main gripe with it is the roof doesn't lift. The VWs are expensive but there's quite a few other van types that make good camper conversions. Ours can get a bit cramped with 2 adults and the kids. We can all fit in to sleep if needed but the long term plan is to have the kids sleeping in the awning. When we go away next week we'll be chucking a toilet tent and windbreak up. Good luck in the van thisweekend.

Ours is a converted Toyota Hi-ace with a high top. My main gripe with it is the roof doesn't lift. The VWs are expensive but there's quite a few other van types that make good camper conversions. Ours can get a bit cramped with 2 adults and the kids. We can all fit in to sleep if needed but the long term plan is to have the kids sleeping in the awning. When we go away next week we'll be chucking a toilet tent and windbreak up. Good luck in the van thisweekend.
Thanks mate.

The VW will replace my car so I can justify some of the expense there. And want to get one with a Euro6 engine in case of further emission taxes/tolls. But with doing a conversion then I think it would be worth more than my outlay. If I only had it a couple of years and sold I think I'd not lose out.

I've only got the canopy that comes with the california this weekend so if it's wet it will be cramped though my kids are only 6 & 2. But if I buy one then will get a driveaway awning for it.

Love it. Done it all my life. I just love being outdoors. Lightweight gear for cycling/walking. Bigger more comfortable/indulgent stuff when using car.
We spent last weekend in Borrowdale. I will be spending my 65th birthday (fukinell!!!!) camping in the Lakes in a couple of weeks. It's one of the things that helps keep me sane.
Can't understand people moaning & saying it's shit just because it's not their thing. Different people like different stuff. If it's not your thing don't fkn do it then. Chill.

I like it. Couldn’t do it every holiday, but now and again is fine.

As has already been said, getting the right gear is crucial. We’ve just switched to an air tent and it goes up in no time.

Mind, we tried it out a few weeks ago in sub zero night time temperatures when we stupidly only had spring sleeping bags. My feet went numb in bed and it felt like being homeless. Still, come the morning, a bit of sunshine, beautiful views, a bacon sarnie and a hot cuppa, and everything was fine again.

Clean toilets and a hot shower being available on site are the only things I ask for. A good pub nearby is a definite plus.

Love it.

When the marriage went tits up in 1990 first thing I did was bought an old combi and found a careless housekeeper then hit the road.France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco got down as far as the desert.Best two years of my life and reason I ended up here in France, would love to do it all again.Enjoy your weekend mate.

Some of the lads take their bairns away for a couple of nights a few times over summer and we head to Stoneswaite (sp) over the lakes, you head out of Keswick and part way along the valley you lose mobile phone signal and can basically disappear off the map for a couple of days. Wife hates it because she can’t check up on the bairn.

Fires, air rifles, axes, tree swings, swimming in the river, basically knocking about with the bairns like we used to do in the old days and not an iPad in sight.

Bairns eventually hit the hay and we sit up poking the fire boozing for a few hours.

Some of the best weekends I’ve had away, apart from the drive up there, as @Ghandi Floss will sit in the passenger seat boozing asking to stop for a piss every few miles! ;)

As people have said it's a bit shit if it rains over a protracted period but there's nothing wrong with watching a thunder storm roll in across a valley from under a decent porch (last time near verdun you could feel the ground bounce) , not much joy peering out of a rain lashed two man for two days mind.

I've got a big family tent and can do that, but after a while you get cabin fever. The kids are bored, the place smells of wet dog and you are left looking for dry pet friendly activities (though me looking after the dog in a pub while they go to a museum is always an option).

It is long periods of cold that get me. We were up on Exmoor in the summer and the temperature dropped massively for a few weeks, after a heatwave earlier in the year. It was down to about 5 degrees on an evening. Sitting cold on a night reading by a battery night is not so good, especially when it is a few nights in a row. Out the tent looking at the stars on warm evenings is heaven.

This for me like. Neewhere for a good clean shite, and neewhere for a nice hot shower.
Set off from Nottingham at half six this morning, was fully set up with the tent including leccy coolbox, carpet, recliners in Bude, Cornwall by quarter past eleven. Lovely site with spotless toilets , hot showers and a lovely view a short walk from a surfing beach.
Currently reclining in the sun enjoying a beer and trying to convince her not to divorce me. We were meant to be staying until Tuesday but now have to pack up and go to a luxury hotel on Sunday so I can go Wembley...

Pros and cons.

Liked getting about places and the getting close to nature and all that.

Dislike having to walk to the toilet block for a wee in the night or queuing up to have a shower after a day on the beach.
You go to the toilet block for a night wee? :lol:
Amateur’s mistake that.

Love it me. My summer holidays currently comprise 4 nights at a festival, 2 nights on a campsite, then 7 nights at me mam’s caravan, but I sleep outside in a tent.

You get some right miserable twats on campsites mind. Even on a weekend, everything stops at 11. Last year the kids were running around throwing glow sticks about around 10pm and someone shouted for us to be quiet. I usually get the kids settled down by 11 then sit outside and drink cans on my own. I’m easily the only person still up on the site at 1am.

Last edited:
I've got a big family tent and can do that, but after a while you get cabin fever. The kids are bored, the place smells of wet dog and you are left looking for dry pet friendly activities (though me looking after the dog in a pub while they go to a museum is always an option).

It is long periods of cold that get me. We were up on Exmoor in the summer and the temperature dropped massively for a few weeks, after a heatwave earlier in the year. It was down to about 5 degrees on an evening. Sitting cold on a night reading by a battery night is not so good, especially when it is a few nights in a row. Out the tent looking at the stars on warm evenings is heaven.
I have the benefit/misfortune of not having littleones anymore.. Me and our lass are well used to long attritional nights sitting in holding throats after 40 years:lol:
Only joking, usually download something on iplayer and watch it on lap top or use netfilx if there's decent WiFi about.

Back