Calorie intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visual progress is very hard to quantify though surely?

Progress pictures are the best way to go about it. Particularly when you have somebody else to look. Weight is a valuable tool though, no doubt, but there are factors that stall scale weight without halting actual fat loss

Progress pictures are the best way to go about it. Particularly when you have somebody else to look. Weight is a valuable tool though, no doubt, but there are factors that stall scale weight without halting actual fat loss
I agree with this back when we did transformation thread I found that I looked better in the pictures than what the scales were saying towards the end

Yesterday one pouched: Bowl of cereal (fruit and nut); 1 boiled egg; 1 apple; 1 orange; 1 banana; 1 tin of mackerel; 1 large portion of fried pork in chilli and basil with some boiled rice, washed down with a glass of vino.

Apart from different evening meals thats been pretty much my average days bait for the last couple of months. (throw in a choc biscuit now and again).

Is that a shite diet?

Yesterday one pouched: Bowl of cereal (fruit and nut); 1 boiled egg; 1 apple; 1 orange; 1 banana; 1 tin of mackerel; 1 large portion of fried pork in chilli and basil with some boiled rice, washed down with a glass of vino.

Apart from different evening meals thats been pretty much my average days bait for the last couple of months. (throw in a choc biscuit now and again).

Is that a shite diet?

Doesn't sound like enough, given that you want to gain weight.

Quick question and really sorry if its been answered before. Have a target of 2050 calories to lose approx 1lb per week which is fine. However, as I am 14 and half stone and I run approx 6 miles a day, can I add the 6-800 calories to the 2050 so I can consume 2850 calories or do I stick to the 2050 calories?

Quick question and really sorry if its been answered before. Have a target of 2050 calories to lose approx 1lb per week which is fine. However, as I am 14 and half stone and I run approx 6 miles a day, can I add the 6-800 calories to the 2050 so I can consume 2850 calories or do I stick to the 2050 calories?

Yep, you can deduct your calories burned (presuming your target didn't include such heavy exercising already).

yer, if you've calculated you need 2550 calories a day to stand still without exercise, cut your cals down by 500 per day, to 2050. If you then replenish burnt calories from exercise ON TOP of these sums you should still see your 1lb a week loss. Keep a track of calorie intake for a week or so then with the fact that 1lb of fat is 3500cals, tailor your intake directly for you.

yer, if you've calculated you need 2550 calories a day to stand still without exercise, cut your cals down by 500 per day, to 2050. If you then replenish burnt calories from exercise ON TOP of these sums you should still see your 1lb a week loss. Keep a track of calorie intake for a week or so then with the fact that 1lb of fat is 3500cals, tailor your intake directly for you.

So in technical terms:

His BRM (stand still before exercise) = 2550.
To lose 1lb per week = 3500 over a week, 500 cals per day.
2550 - 500 = 2050.

So why am I subtracting the 500 from my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)?

Shouldn't he be subtracting 500 from 2850 = 2350? 2850 is his amount of calories his body '... burns in a 24 hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and even digesting food ...'? I.e. TDEE.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

So in technical terms:

2550 - 500 = 2050.

Shouldn't he be subtracting 500 from 2850 = 2350? 2850 is his amount of calories his body '... burns in a 24 hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and even digesting food ...'? I.e. TDEE.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure takes into account exercise, BRM doesn't.

So in technical terms:

2550 - 500 = 2050.

In theory he could subtract 500 from 3350 (800 from running on top of his 2550) providing he burns 800 calories everyday. I prefer to keep calories burned from exercise separate though, if he's had a long day at work or its snowing etc and he doesn't feel like that run he doesn't fall into the trap thinking he can still have the 2850.

So in technical terms:

2550 - 500 = 2050.

Might be wrong but the way I see it is as follows :
I need 2050 calories per day to burn off 1lb of fat a week.
On average I probably burn 800 calories from running per day
Net calories intake is 2050-800 = 1250 per day, so in effect I am an extra 5600 calories up per week because of my running. (800 x7) on top of the 500 per day I am saving from calorie reduction of 2550 (to maintain weight) to 2050.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure takes into account exercise, BRM doesn't.

OK.

Is his TDEE = 2850 then? He said it was 600-800 cals + his BRM of 2050 (his 'target').

Might be wrong but the way I see it is as follows :
I need 2050 calories per day to burn off 1lb of fat a week.
On average I probably burn 800 calories from running per day
Net calories intake is 2050-800 = 1250 per day, so in effect I am an extra 5600 calories up per week because of my running. (800 x7) on top of the 500 per day I am saving from calorie reduction of 2550 (to maintain weight) to 2050.

I'm confused!

Could you calc your BRM and TDEE based on weight, height, age, gender, amount of exercise please?

It's all got to be an educated guess re: exercise and a generalisation. I.e. you either work in an office and don't move or work as a miner and run 5 miles a day.

OK.

Is his TDEE = 2850 then? He said it was 600-800 cals + his BRM of 2050 (his 'target').

I think he said his BRM was 2550 thus he needed to consume 2050 to lose 1lb per week. He was wondering if he ran 6 miles per day if that meant he could eat more than the 2050 do fuck all target.

In theory he could subtract 500 from 3350 (800 from running on top of his 2550) providing he burns 800 calories everyday. I prefer to keep calories burned from exercise separate though, if he's had a long day at work or its snowing etc and he doesn't feel like that run he doesn't fall into the trap thinking he can still have the 2850.

Where has his target of 2050 come from? Is that the BRM?

I think he said his BRM was 2550 thus he needed to consume 2050 to lose 1lb per week. He was wondering if he ran 6 miles per day if that meant he could eat more than the 2050 do fuck all target.

But like I said, I subtracted 500 from my TDEE not my BRM.

So he would burn off more than 1lb a week with your method as he's subtracting 500 from his BRM not his TDEE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back