Calorie intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
No 2050 is coming from the fact he needs 2550 to stand still without exercise = equaling a 500 calorie deficit. 500 calories x 7 days = 3500 calories = 1lb.

Which is my question.

2550 = his BMR.
2550 + 800 whatever exercise = 3350 = his TDEE.

To lose 1lb a week he'd subtract 500 from his TDEE. If he subtracts 500 from his BMR then he'll lose more.

http://manvfat.com/bmr-and-tdee-calculator/

Last edited:

What's RMR anyway, I can have 200 or so more on RMR than BMR?

I'm not an expert but I think that RMR is the rate at which these processes occur is measured in calories per unit of time, and is most often given in calories per day. The term basal metabolic rate (BMR) is often confused and/or interchanged with RMRor resting energy expenditure (REE).

PS. Don't you think that life was a whole lot more simple as a kid or when most jobs were manually hard work?

Eat pretty much as you please and work off the extra? Not too many overweight people unless it was due to a medical/genetic issue.

I'm not an expert but I think that RMR is the rate at which these processes occur is measured in calories per unit of time, and is most often given in calories per day. The term basal metabolic rate (BMR) is often confused and/or interchanged with RMRor resting energy expenditure (REE).

PS. Don't you think that life was a whole lot more simple as a kid or when most jobs were manually hard work?

Eat pretty much as you please and work off the extra? Not too many overweight people unless it was due to a medical/genetic issue.

That link you posted seems to say I can have like 1900 BMR and 2200 or something RMR?

Isnt that where lifting weights comes in?

You have to eat enough though. If you're adding exercise to your life then you need to account for that as well.

A 'good, steady bulk' should see you eating around 200-300 kCal in excess of TDEE.

You can lift all the weight you want but if the fuel to repair your muscles isn't there you'll see no weight gain.

OK.

Is his TDEE = 2850 then? He said it was 600-800 cals + his BRM of 2050 (his 'target').

I'm confused!

Could you calc your BRM and TDEE based on weight, height, age, gender, amount of exercise please?

It's all got to be an educated guess re: exercise and a generalisation. I.e. you either work in an office and don't move or work as a miner and run 5 miles a day.

Ok mate, based on me being 42 years old and weighing in at 14st 8lb my BMR is 1976 and TDEE 3062.

Ok mate, based on me being 42 years old and weighing in at 14st 8lb my BMR is 1976 and TDEE 3062.

Nice one. Well according to my research submitted on post #177 you need to eat less than your TDEE.

To lose 1lb over a week = 3500 calories = 500 per day.

So that would be TDEE - 500 = 3060 - 500 = 2560.

Probably!

Edit: You old bastid!

Nice one. Well according to my research submitted on post #177 you need to eat less than your TDEE.

To lose 1lb over a week = 3500 calories = 500 per day.

So that would be TDEE - 500 = 3060 - 500 = 2560.

Probably!

Edit: You old bastid!
Cheers! Its all well and good with all these numbers but why then after running for about 4 years am I still as fat as when I started! I must seriously binge in on a weekend without knowing how much shit I actually consume. Oh by the way I am not an old bastid, our lass says I am nearly in my prime!

Cheers! Its all well and good with all these numbers but why then after running for about 4 years am I still as fat as when I started! I must seriously binge in on a weekend without knowing how much shit I actually consume. Oh by the way I am not an old bastid, our lass says I am nearly in my prime!

@supersesh may want to weigh in on this. He looked into the shite people can end up scranning on a weekend and just how much it adds up.

Nearly as old as me!

Please don't take my word for it, wait for Titus et al to confirm.

I always ate what I fancied but now I have a bit of a spare tyre to match my skinny arms and legs. Using myfitnesspal I soon found out that I eat well while at work but I pig out on Friday and Saturday. By careful planning I reckon I can still have a takeaway + a few tinnies on a Saturday if I don't overdo it earlier in the day. And the deficit over the week should make up for it. Concerned for when I next booze with my mates though as it must consume thousands of calories. 200 in one 440ml can of Stella.

@supersesh may want to weigh in on this. He looked into the shite people can end up scranning on a weekend and just how much it adds up.
To be fair mate Monday to Friday I would say is probably 7/8 out of 10. I have porridge, boiled eggs, wholemeal pitta bread, soups and on an evening lean meats and fish with green veg and sweet potato. Thats a selection not every day mind! However, come a saturday night I reckon this is where the shitstorm starts, I can easily eat a 12" pizza, sometimes healthy toppings mainly a meat feast with chips and garlic sauce!, then come sunday I then crave chocolate and crisps. Drinking I am not too bad, if I am out with the lads then proper binge sessions which is probably once a month, in between that I can easily go a month without drink.

You have to eat enough though. If you're adding exercise to your life then you need to account for that as well.

A 'good, steady bulk' should see you eating around 200-300 kCal in excess of TDEE.

You can lift all the weight you want but if the fuel to repair your muscles isn't there you'll see no weight gain.

Cheers, again. This is complicated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back