Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
It’s hard to argue against what Charles can show you imo. He has about 10 years worth of tests and it clearly and consistently shows a more rigorous and healthy growth compared to digging. And obviously easier on your back.
My gurus were always Tony O’Neill (Simplify Gardening), Huw Richards and a lovely fella called Steve who sadly passed last year who had a YouTube channel (still on there) called Greenside Up.

All are/were top veg growers and firmly in the no dig camp. Charles is the one who has monetised it with his books and courses but many of the top growers now use it.
My go to YouTube channels are:
Charles Dowding
Green Side Up (now sadly deceased so no new content.)
Huw Richards
MuddyBootz Allotment
Simplify Gardening

Very honourable mentions to:
Castle Hill Garden
Chillichump
Liz Zorab - Byther Farm
Stephanie Hafferty (Charles Dowding’s ex partner)
Terry Kings Allotment Channel
The Allotment Garden & Kitchen
Veggieplot

Last edited:

My gurus were always Tony O’Neill (Simplify Gardening), Huw Richards and a lovely fella called Steve who sadly passed last year who had a YouTube channel (still on there) called Greenside Up.

All are/were top veg growers and firmly in the no dig camp. Charles is the one who has monetised it with his books and courses but many of the top growers now use it.
Aye all of them are very good. Tony has been around a long time and i can remember Huw doing it when he was 14/5 iirc. Making a canny living off their channels now.

Muddybootz has some decent stuff if you’re looking for specific crops to grow and have no idea. Not as engaging as the other above but an quality old school gardener.

The owld YouTube is great at times mind :cool:

Aye all of them are very good. Tony has been around a long time and i can remember Huw doing it when he was 14/5 iirc. Making a canny living off their channels now.

Muddybootz has some decent stuff if you’re looking for specific crops to grow and have no idea. Not as engaging as the other above but an quality old school gardener.

The owld YouTube is great at times mind :cool:
Aye although to be honest I’ve found Huw much less engaging over the last year or 2. More allotment walk arounds than actual advice. Then again, it’s often about where you are in your journey and how much advice you actually need once you have some experience.
I think there’s a years delay with rhubarb ? I’ve always wanted to grow some , as you say it’s expensive to buy
If you don’t have any by next Autumn then give me a shout. I will happily pass some on when I split my crowns around October/November.

Last edited:
Whatever you like Wilfy. Every single crop I’ve grown has done better in no dig beds. I don’t do potatoes in my beds as too much soil disturbance so I do all my potatoes in buckets.

I’m not trying to sway you one way or t’other, just suggesting you do the research before making up your mind to rotivate.
I’ve put raised beds in the majority of mine now. Each year as they compact I put more sheets of cardboard down covered with compost. Total game changer imo.

I’ve put raised beds in the majority of mine now. Each year as they compact I put more sheets of cardboard down covered with compost. Total game changer imo.
I started with raised beds when I first laid it out for no dig and created the paths (woodchip) but as the wood rotted I just did away with them once the layout was established. All mine are the same size 1.2m x 3.6m so I can swap protection about on them. Only ever used cardboard when I first created them, compost has always gone on top once a year and I don't get much compaction now as several years worth of compost and manure have been taken down into the clay soil.
I will sometimes put cardboard down over winter if I'm putting a bed 'to sleep' but always remove it in spring.

At the end of day either way works, I just prefer the simplicity of no dig as I've had several back operations over the years and I prefer the 'raised bed' and paths layout. All my beds get hand weeded as well as the plot was/is riddled with mares tail so I wanted to pull it instead of spreading it around with a hoe. The weeding (mares tail pulling) can be time consuming in the growing season but I don't mind that too much as I'm retired and can get up most days if I want.

I think you know. I did not write "I have always found John Harrison to be up there with the best at selling everything possible via his heavily monetised site."

Sorry marra, just having a bit of a daft laugh with the forum mechanics. Have you not found his site to be a bit spammy ?

I was getting a ton of emails.
Jobs for January - feed your worms with this special mix for giant super worms, get 10% off with this link
Jobs for February - buy this special compost recipe sheet

I've got two of his books and they're a bit basic imo

Last edited:
Sorry marra, just having a bit of a daft laugh with the forum mechanics. Have you not found his site to be a bit spammy ?

I was getting a ton of emails.
Jobs for January - feed your worms with this special mix for giant super worms, get 10% off with this link
Jobs for February - buy this special compost recipe sheet

I've got two of his books and they're a bit basic imo
Fair enough marra.
I don't bother getting any e-mails from him.
His books are very instructive and informative IMHO.
But there are a lot of authors and books on the market, and all seem to preach the same stuff.
I used to subscribe to the monthly magazine-"Grow your Own" - but after a couple of years - they started to repeat themselves- and I stopped it.
But I got a lot of advice from my dad, who liked to grow veg.

Fair enough marra.
I don't bother getting any e-mails from him.
His books are very instructive and informative IMHO.
But there are a lot of authors and books on the market, and all seem to preach the same stuff.
I used to subscribe to the monthly magazine-"Grow your Own" - but after a couple of years - they started to repeat themselves- and I stopped it.
But I got a lot of advice from my dad, who liked to grow veg.
Got a few old books, Geoff Hamilton, Titchmarsh etc, but your last point is the best advice I can give anyone starting out.
Ask an owld gadgee who knars.👍👍👍

Got a few old books, Geoff Hamilton, Titchmarsh etc, but your last point is the best advice I can give anyone starting out.
Ask an owld gadgee who knars.👍👍👍
Mrs bought me a few books over the years and I’ve read them but gotta say my old man is where I get most of my advice/info from. 50+ years he’s been at it, doesn’t matter what issue I come across he’s seen it.

He’s getting on now like so things get a bit lost in there sometimes, still has his allotment like :)

Back