Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Gone with tomatoes and peppers this year. Don't have a lot of space so will grow these upright.

I'm decent with tomatoes, never tried peppers before. Gone with sun blessed toms and gypsy peppers.
The missus grew peppers last year, they came on canny but were quite small. Might have been the late start that stopped them getting full size.

Best get cracking with the peppers then. Already got the toms growing. Cheers for the heads up.
If I remember right, got a lot of peppers from each plant, probably about a dozen or so. Grew padrons one year and the heat on a couple of them was off the scale! Luckily it was only a couple.

My garden is waterlogged, so I’ve got nowt outside done yet. Got seeds started in the greenhouse, probably 2-3 weeks later than I normally would for the March planting.

But then I think it was 2 years ago I started later because I had lost half my greenhouse in high wind. I still had a good year.

Pricked out tomatoes today, 2nd lot of onion sets a bed that I had covered, otherwise it would of been too wet.

Sorted out an asparagus bed today ready for 2026 harvest :lol:

Plenty of seeds on the go, ready to prick out next week maybe

I’m a little behind this year, only got nuts hospital last Friday so been reliant on the nra cc and the bairns, they’ve done their best like bu I’m a little behind, toms n cucumbers s are just in now to germinate so barring any disasters I should be able to catch up. Potatoes have gone into 30l containers, I never grow them in the ground , hopefully have a few good crops of them later .

I’m a little behind this year, only got nuts hospital last Friday so been reliant on the nra cc and the bairns, they’ve done their best like bu I’m a little behind, toms n cucumbers s are just in now to germinate so barring any disasters I should be able to catch up. Potatoes have gone into 30l containers, I never grow them in the ground , hopefully have a few good crops of them later .

I found tomatoes in a elongated pot seem to grow a little quicker/stronger if you need to catch them up.

Also plant some of the stem each time you repot the roots will come out of the stem and form a bigger root system.

On a side note. Anyone that needs grow bags Lidl have some.ok ones this year, 2 quid a pop which is decent for a material one.

Feels good to get growing again instead of all the winter tidying, burning and shed repairs.
Got the seed onions, shallot sets and peas out yesterday. Radish, Turnip, Cauliflower & Calabrese out today. Will get the Fennel, beetroot & cabbages out next weekend. Buckets of first early taties were done last week, will do the 2nd earlies in a week or so.
Here's to a good growing season for everybody 🤞

We're going to do the whole patch as a big rectangular block of sweetcorn this year. About to dig it over and yuck in a whole load of compost. Will plant the seeds a little later and grow them till they're big and strong enough to be planted in the ground by May.

The kids love grabbing a few corn cobs to have with their dinner. They're lovely when fresh off the plant.

We're going to do the whole patch as a big rectangular block of sweetcorn this year. About to dig it over and yuck in a whole load of compost. Will plant the seeds a little later and grow them till they're big and strong enough to be planted in the ground by May.

The kids love grabbing a few corn cobs to have with their dinner. They're lovely when fresh off the plant.
Have you considered planting around the plants too? Onions or leek will do well, as will squashes, courgette etc.

I grew corn for the first time last year and was well impressed, will be growing a few more this year.

When is a ok time to move chilli plants to an unheated greenhouse?
They're all around 6 to 10 inches in height now and I really need to move them as the tomatoes have just been repotted and I need the space.

I grew corn for the first time last year and was well impressed, will be growing a few more this year.

When is a ok time to move chilli plants to an unheated greenhouse?
They're all around 6 to 10 inches in height now and I really need to move them as the tomatoes have just been repotted and I need the space
Depends on temperatures and how good your greenhouse is. Mine won't go into the polytunnel until it's constantly hitting 12deg minimum overnight.

Back