Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

What dates do you chaps stick main crop potatoes in?

Late April? Last year we only grew 1st early and iirc I stuck them in about march. I’ve put the main crop outa the way atm as chitting them now feels to early if it is April/May when they need to go in.

Done canny there mate. I’ve seen some people get some right shitters, been well looked after.
Aye, done really well. The half plot they showed me was just grass, the other full plot was worse than the one I’ve took. Going to ask how much the rotavator hire is that the association have. Even got a composting toilet on site and the water tap is just outside next doors plot.

Aye, done really well. The half plot they showed me was just grass, the other full plot was worse than the one I’ve took. Going to ask how much the rotavator hire is that the association have. Even got a composting toilet on site and the water tap is just outside next doors plot.
Cracking mate. Look forward to seeing it in full bloom. That shed/ghouse yours also?

Cracking mate. Look forward to seeing it in full bloom. That shed/ghouse yours also?
Paying the old fella whose plot it is £150 for them. The greenhouse has escaped unharmed after the storms. Just looking on free cycle for some staging, missed out on some on Friday. Probably just get some made at work like.

Very jealous. Had my name down for 5 years at the allotments near my estate, think I’ve moved up a few spots in that time. I’m consigned to never getting one.
About 3 years on the waiting list for me. I asked about a year ago and I was 11th. Then got an email earlier this month saying can I come to the allotments for a meeting. Some strict rules on this site, you have to live in the village to work on the plots. When I asked if the MiL could help us out, told them she lives in amble, they just said no, insurance won’t cover that.

Going to ask how much the rotavator hire is that the association have. Even got a composting toilet on site and the water tap is just outside next doors plot.
Wilfy, do some research into no dig gardening before you go ploughing that rotivator through it.

Modern thinking is that digging is more harmful to your soil (obviously if you have perennial weeds you need to dig them out.)

My allotment is 20-25% more productive since I stopped digging. Have a look at Charles Dowding on YouTube. Mine gets about an inch of manure or soil conditioner spread on top once a year and that’s it. Dig out any perennial weeds, lay cardboard on top to kill off the annual weeds then an inch or 2 of manure/compost/conditioner on top of the cardboard and away you go.

Each to their own and I know a lot of people still swear by double digging but I’m now firmly in the no dig camp.

Wilfy, do some research into no dig gardening before you go ploughing that rotivator through it.

Modern thinking is that digging is more harmful to your soil (obviously if you have perennial weeds you need to dig them out.)

My allotment is 20-25% more productive since I stopped digging. Have a look at Charles Dowding on YouTube. Mine gets about an inch of manure or soil conditioner spread on top once a year and that’s it. Dig out any perennial weeds, lay cardboard on top to kill off the annual weeds then an inch or 2 of manure/compost/conditioner on top of the cardboard and away you go.

Each to their own and I know a lot of people still swear by double digging but I’m now firmly in the no dig camp.
Some of the Facebook groups that I’ve joined regularly have threads descend into no dig vs digging. I’ll have a read up and might give one bed a try at no dig. What crop would you recommend for no dig?

It’s hard to argue against what Charles can show you imo. He has about 10 years worth of tests and it clearly and consistently shows a more rigorous and healthy growth compared to digging. And obviously easier on your back.

Some of the Facebook groups that I’ve joined regularly have threads descend into no dig vs digging. I’ll have a read up and might give one bed a try at no dig. What crop would you recommend for no dig?
Whatever you like Wilfy. Every single crop I’ve grown has done better in no dig beds. I don’t do potatoes in my beds as too much soil disturbance so I do all my potatoes in buckets.

I’m not trying to sway you one way or t’other, just suggesting you do the research before making up your mind to rotivate.

Whatever you like Wilfy. Every single crop I’ve grown has done better in no dig beds. I don’t do potatoes in my beds as too much soil disturbance so I do all my potatoes in buckets.

I’m not trying to sway you one way or t’other, just suggesting you do the research before making up your mind to rotivate.
Like I say, I’ll read up on it. I’m all for methods that won’t knack my back even more.

Back