Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

I have today been mostly growing....

Fatter

(A return to the exercise bike and cutting down on biscuits is called for I think)

Hope this helps.

Also: I have been pruning river birch and hawthorn plus getting rid of some broom. So not much growing in the garding

Good shout. I was thinking this weekend I need to start my planning and getting seeds ordered.

I did start my leeks off really early last year. Might have been the second week of Jan. Got loads of really big leeks, but they all went to seed quickly and have hard cores on them. You can cut off a bit of flesh, so not a total waste.

Normally this time of year we are out picking parsnips and leeks as we need them.

I need to find a little bit extra light. By no means have I even thought about watts per meter or anything. I'm looking for something mega cheap and easy

I even have some spare reels of LEDs lying around from a project I never did - I had hoped to use them, but I think that's a non-starter, and I need at least the growlight versions of these - and then even these don't seem to be enough.

I'm only after getting seeds up to decent seedlings ready for planing out into the garden, not for maturing plants for flowering or anything.
This is what you need mate, a little T5, perfect for seedlings, allows you to put it close to the seedlings so they don't stretch or burn as they would with a hps.
Logon or register to see this image

Sorry Jon, decided a couple of hundred quid isn't on the cards. But those LED strips were staring at me today, so I decided to have a little project and made this

Then decided I didn't like how the LEDs were hanging, so I did this instead

note: that's 2 full reels, rather than just one in the first image - so twice as much light, and all pointing the right way

And now it looks like this

Yeah, its all kinds of bodgey, but hopefully it'll last long enough to see if it helps. Really its for seedlings, but I thought I'd see what it does to my leggy coriander and one of my overwintering chilli plants.

Last edited:
Sorry Jon, decided a couple of hundred quid isn't on the cards. But those LED strips were staring at me today, so I decided to have a little project and made this

note: that's 2 full reels, rather than just one in the first image - so twice as much light, and all pointing the right way
That’s good shit, maaaaan 💨 🪴 🚬

And now it looks like this

Yeah, its all kinds of bodgey, but hopefully it'll last long enough to see if it helps. Really its for seedlings, but I thought I'd see what it does to my leggy coriander and one of my overwintering chilli plants.
Be interesting to see how this goes/grows 🤔

Be interesting to see how this goes/grows 🤔
As with many of my projects, its as much to see IF it works than anything else.

And as for how that is - so far NOT GOOD. It just turned itself off. I think it's overheating. Badly.
Just removed the 2nd layer of cardboard so that its not insulating quite as much. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I thought the beauty of an LED system is it runs cool unlike a HID?
Suppose these aren't meant to run side by side?
Could be over volted too. I can dial them down if needed
Pants, just got back from picking the bairn up, and they've gone off again.
Lets knock them down a notch.
1hr later, seems to be ok now. I've lost about 20% of the brightness though, but that's ok.

Last edited:

Back