Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Been out today in the greenhouse (repaired after the wind last month) and got a few seeds started. Always feels good to begin growing again.

I've discovered a few clumps of garlic I missed last year and they have sprouted away. Need to get them split and spread out.

been a member on here for a while and never seen this thread until now. Ive got an allotment. had it 2 plus years. needed loads doing to it as had been left for a while between owners. My plan was to grow stuff the family eats but its not really working out that way! Onions and spring onion grow great but im the only one that earts them where as my strawberry's. carrots and turnips i just cant grow... but going to keep trying. Bit of a slow start this yeat as due to the storms my poly tunnel blew of the moorings and split and i lost a load of glass from my green house so i might end up just buy veg to plant rather than from seed as normal.

been a member on here for a while and never seen this thread until now. Ive got an allotment. had it 2 plus years. needed loads doing to it as had been left for a while between owners. My plan was to grow stuff the family eats but its not really working out that way! Onions and spring onion grow great but im the only one that earts them where as my strawberry's. carrots and turnips i just cant grow... but going to keep trying. Bit of a slow start this yeat as due to the storms my poly tunnel blew of the moorings and split and i lost a load of glass from my green house so i might end up just buy veg to plant rather than from seed as normal.
How good is the soil and drainage

How good is the soil and drainage

its set on a slight slop..... at the top the soil crumbles when its been turning it over. About 2 metres further when the slop begins the soil looks dry on the top but once you dig it over its heavy and clumpy, doesn't break easily at all. the slop then finishes where we have had covered with black plastic. removed this and dug out the blackberry bush and the soil seems much the same as at the top of the garden.

Been out today in the greenhouse (repaired after the wind last month) and got a few seeds started. Always feels good to begin growing again.

I've discovered a few clumps of garlic I missed last year and they have sprouted away. Need to get them split and spread out.

As in garlic in the greenhouse ?

its set on a slight slop..... at the top the soil crumbles when its been turning it over. About 2 metres further when the slop begins the soil looks dry on the top but once you dig it over its heavy and clumpy, doesn't break easily at all. the slop then finishes where we have had covered with black plastic. removed this and dug out the blackberry bush and the soil seems much the same as at the top of the garden.
Carrots have to go at the top or bottom if you want any chance with them, then. They do much better in looser soil, and also need direct sun. (Voice of both very good and very bad experience.)

Just cleaned mine this afternoon with Jeyes fluid and one of those window brushes, the glass is gleaming. Started my tomatoes off too, as ever I ordered far too many varieties so I’ll have 62 plants if they all germinate, friends and family will take some of them though.
I’m going to grow a load more squashes and pumpkins this year, I’ll maybe make a start on those next week.
Does anyone think that’s it for the frosts? I covered my dahlia tubers with cardboard and hessian rather than lifting them, I’m just wondering when to take this away.

Yeah, this was in the greenhouse, left from last year, but when I split it I'll put some of it outside.

Growing garlic in a greenhouse is new to me. Is there a particular reason for it ? I know they say that if you grow garlic (or Marigold) near soft leafed vegs the risk of getting your vegs run over by bugs is less as the bugs don't much like them. Am interested to hear if they have the same effect on something like tomatoes ? Garlic grows very happily outdoors but they do need a bit of frost for some reason during the cold season to get a nice yield the following Summer. I would have thought a greenhouse wouldn't be much good for them.

I haven't heard either about digging garlic up and moving them. Will you let us know how it goes ?

Last edited:
Carrots have to go at the top or bottom if you want any chance with them, then. They do much better in looser soil, and also need direct sun. (Voice of both very good and very bad experience.)
Cheers

I think i may be expecting my carrots to look like the ones you get in the shops when in reality i should be picking them when they are young and tender - if there's anything to pick of course

Just cleaned mine this afternoon with Jeyes fluid and one of those window brushes, the glass is gleaming. Started my tomatoes off too, as ever I ordered far too many varieties so I’ll have 62 plants if they all germinate, friends and family will take some of them though.
I’m going to grow a load more squashes and pumpkins this year, I’ll maybe make a start on those next week.
Does anyone think that’s it for the frosts? I covered my dahlia tubers with cardboard and hessian rather than lifting them, I’m just wondering when to take this away.
No marra.
Last April, we got frosts for 3 weeks on the belt, and I lost a load of tomato plants in the greenhouse - even though I had the paraffin heater on the go.

Just set my tomato seeds away in the propagator today along with various herbs. Sweet peas, Leeks, chiilis and sweet peppers were germinated 3 weeks and coming along nicely on the windowsill. Early and maincrop spuds chitting away will get them into pots at the end of the month. Will get some marigold seeds away tomorrow. Nothing will be going into the greenhouse until Easter.

Do you mean swede? Both should be easy to grow although you can't transplant them.

Do you mean swede? Both should be easy to grow although you can't transplant them.

i get mixed up with these two. The ones with the purple top are the ones that when a bit funny last year as the grew long ways rather than swelling out. The ones that were big enough to peel also had a black line going vertically through them making them un edible. Ive tried growong them in the graden directly but they never seem to grow... but i think i'll tray again this year

Cheers

I think i may be expecting my carrots to look like the ones you get in the shops when in reality i should be picking them when they are young and tender - if there's anything to pick of course
Takes a couple crops to get the hang of it and get to that stage - loose soil, sun, and proper thinning at the correct time made the difference for me. The ones I get now are shop-size, if often a tad wonky looking after a first crop that the wife (no) called “stumpy-ass stupid carrots.” Taste fine though. You’ll get there.

Last edited:
Takes a couple crops to get the hang of it and get to that stage - loose soil, sun, and proper thinning at the correct time made the difference for me. The ones I get now are shop-size, if often a tad wonky looking. Taste fine though. You’ll get there.
Do my carrots in sand boxes. Filled with sharp/builders sand then bore out plugs with 3’’ drainpipe and fill with finely sieved compost for the carrots. Get great carrots, not cheap to fill the sand box but the sand gets reused every year so not too bad after the initial expense. No plot so most of my stuff grows in pots.

Do my carrots in sand boxes. Filled with sharp/builders sand then bore out plugs with 3’’ drainpipe and fill with finely sieved compost for the carrots. Get great carrots, not cheap to fill the sand box but the sand gets reused every year so not too bad after the initial expense. No plot so most of my stuff grows in pots.
The bed I grow mine in is a sand/compost mixture.

Back