Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Tomatoes x 5 have germinated. Loads of spring onions now.
Boat loads of lettuce, a few coriander
Only thing not away aye the chilies
On the off chance I took the seeds out of a dried ghost pepper and trying those. Never know!

Weed. Also if it becomes legal soon, magic mushrooms
I’m trying something new with the latest crop. I’ve only used banana peel for compost.

Mushrooms easy can buy the liquid online.

Where do you live if weed legal to grow but shrooms aren't?
What strain you growing?

I grow chilli's (different kinds) every year. More than you could ever possibly f***ing need or give away and then the lass makes chilli jam. I've probably got 20 f***ing jars of the stuff. I should stop 🤣

Tomatoes got obliterated by the frotst/snow
Other than that, strawberries, red onions, kale, spring onions, mint, peas, pumpkins, lola rosa lettuce, potatoes, sunflowers, blackcurrants and black berries, and lots of other plants too which will hopefully encourage butterflies and bees etc

Keep them inside and in the sun and you should be fine.
2 years ago i put outside some heinz 1570 (IIRC) tomato plants and they grew fine. we got the plants of a friend of my wife and he has been growing them outside for years. still to early for them to go out yet.
last year I grew some from seed and we still got healthy crop but not as good as the year before but the summer was not as good. need to be selective as you say to place in the sun.
This year plan to put some cucumber and tomato's in a temp green house and I searched dobies catalogue for a hardy outside tomato and they came up with

cucumber green fingers

noire de crimee' tomato

both suitable for outdoors

what happens in a notheast climate and in real life we wait and see

Last edited:
Got some swede and turnips set away in modules already.
They will get transplanted into the soil soon - have to harden them off first though.
I shall make a 2nd sowing in late May.
I always forget about hardening off. My cabbages looked like they were struggling in pots (I find they always die off when the greenhouse gets too hot), so I put them out. The peas were too big for the modules they were in and I've just put my leeks out. The leeks and cabbages are under a fleece tunnel, but the peas are in the border with no protection. If we don't get a frost in the next week or so, they should be ok.

Time to start thinking about what I'm going to grow in the garden this year. Started to make a list, but first I need to figure out how I'm going to get the seeds away.

Last year, my east or west windowsills just didnt get enough light (no south ones unfortunately). So I was looking into a cheap way to do a grow light system. Anyone ever tried this before?
Was thinking one of those cheapo plastic and wireframe greenhouses with a reel of LEDs running under each shelf - but the more I read, the more I get the feeling that won't work.

Time to start thinking about what I'm going to grow in the garden this year. Started to make a list, but first I need to figure out how I'm going to get the seeds away.

Last year, my east or west windowsills just didnt get enough light (no south ones unfortunately). So I was looking into a cheap way to do a grow light system. Anyone ever tried this before?
Was thinking one of those cheapo plastic and wireframe greenhouses with a reel of LEDs running under each shelf - but the more I read, the more I get the feeling that won't work.
Your thinking of extending light hours outdoors for vegetative growth? It works 👍 what wattage per m/sq are you thinking of?

Your thinking of extending light hours outdoors for vegetative growth? It works 👍 what wattage per m/sq are you thinking of?
I need to find a little bit extra light. By no means have I even thought about watts per meter or anything. I'm looking for something mega cheap and easy

I even have some spare reels of LEDs lying around from a project I never did - I had hoped to use them, but I think that's a non-starter, and I need at least the growlight versions of these - and then even these don't seem to be enough.

I'm only after getting seeds up to decent seedlings ready for planing out into the garden, not for maturing plants for flowering or anything.

I need to find a little bit extra light. By no means have I even thought about watts per meter or anything. I'm looking for something mega cheap and easy

I even have some spare reels of LEDs lying around from a project I never did - I had hoped to use them, but I think that's a non-starter, and I need at least the growlight versions of these - and then even these don't seem to be enough.

I'm only after getting seeds up to decent seedlings ready for planing out into the garden, not for maturing plants for flowering or anything.
I am going to the shop in a moment to get some wild bird feed, I will get a pic of the sort of grow light you need mate, basic and cheap but perfect for seedlings, bear with me 👍

Back