Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Got a load of salad leaves in today, as well as radishes, spring onions, beetroot and spinach beet.

Any recommendations for a heavy cropping cherry tomato? Thinking of rosella as it was on beechgrove garden last year with their seal of approval

I got a punnet of the plum cherry tomatoes from Lidl, smushed one onto kitchen roll, let it dry and planted the sheet of kitchen roll.....

It was clearly a hybrid, got 2 distinct types so I grew about 9 plants but they all cropped heavily and were tasty

Got a load of salad leaves in today, as well as radishes, spring onions, beetroot and spinach beet.

Any recommendations for a heavy cropping cherry tomato? Thinking of rosella as it was on beechgrove garden last year with their seal of approval

either of Sundream or Gardeners Delight, both very sweet as well

I’m definately late this year, but finally got my taties in. I need to work out where I’m putting other stuff so I can start my parsnips. I usually have those in during March. Though last year I think I was far too early and got nowt.

The stuff sprouting in the greenhouse is looking canny

The missuses pea and bean plants have gone mental. Chillies are just starting to come through after about 4 weeks.
Little late for chillies, started mine in January under a led light.

I’m definately late this year, but finally got my taties in. I need to work out where I’m putting other stuff so I can start my parsnips. I usually have those in during March. Though last year I think I was far too early and got nowt.

The stuff sprouting in the greenhouse is looking canny
I sprouted my parsnips on damp kitchens paper, then used a tube to create holes in the ground and filled with compost then placed 1 sprouted seed in each hole.

Last edited:
Little late for chillies, started mine in January under a led light.

I sprouted my parsnips on damp kitchens paper, then used a tube to create holes in the ground and filled with compost then placed 1 sprouted seed in each hole.

We started them even later last year and got a huge crop , delay due to wait to get greenhouse up this year but hopefully still get a decent yield - going to buy a more established jalapeño plant though

Mrs R has a load of Garlics growing like billio. Got a load last year and Onions. Just Garlics this year. Unfortunately the cats keep crapping next to them. If they taste any different, i'm buying mine in.

We started them even later last year and got a huge crop , delay due to wait to get greenhouse up this year but hopefully still get a decent yield - going to buy a more established jalapeño plant though
Good luck, will be a few more weeks before my chillies go into the greenhouse as it' still to cold on a night for them.

The bastard wood pigeons have pulled out a load of my onions.:evil: 1st time in years!!
I usually start them off in modules and plant them out when the green leaves appear - that usually puts them off.
Had to put cloche tunnels over them yesterday.:mad:

Good luck, will be a few more weeks before my chillies go into the greenhouse as it' still to cold on a night for them.

Aye most of my stuff is still indoors , planted out the green beans and peas last weekend mainly because they were growing ridiculously high

The bastard wood pigeons have pulled out a load of my onions.:evil: 1st time in years!!
I usually start them off in modules and plant them out when the green leaves appear - that usually puts them off.
Had to put cloche tunnels over them yesterday.:mad:

Have you any old CDs you can hang up on sticks near them as a bird deterrent

I used to net my onions till they were well established for the same reason :evil:

Got my tatties in yesterday, two rows of second earlies and two rows of maincrop.

Got some seeds delivered as well, going to make some paper potters and get stuff away in the propagator over the next day or two.

Salad leaves, beetroot, radishes and spinach that i sowed last week are just starting to sprout.

Been busy along the allotment today.
Progress so far:-
1st early tatties showing nicely in the grow sacks, 2nds just showing their haulm in the ground, maincrop -nowt as yet.
All onions in the ground and coming along nice -as are the shallots. Garlic are doing very well in old black recycling boxes.
Parsnips are just sprouting in the ground.
Sweetcorn was started off in the propagator, and I put them in the ground today -under a cloche.
Brassica's all in the ground now - summer cabbages, winter sprouts, purple sprouting broccoli, dwarf kale, 60 day broccoli, swedes & turnips.
Legumes - runner beans planted out along with broad beans, and 2 rows of peas. French beans (both climbing and dwarf) to be planted mid May.
Beetroot in modules showing nicely.
Tomatoes are in the porch, and doing canny along with peppers, aubergines & chillis. They will go in the greenhouse mid May.
Courgettes in pots planted out too (hopefully no cold nights until they are established).
Carrots are yet to show in the tubs.
Leeks are doing canny in a big tub - they will be puddled-in sometime in June.
Cucumbers should be ready to go into the greenhouse soon.

Picked the last of the purple sprouting broccoli for this year, and also last of the spring cabbages.

By the way, if you need grow-bags, Emily's down at Leechmere had some in for £1.80 for a 40 litre grow-bag. Bargain.

Well, fell lucky at the weekend and got myself an allotment with an association. Hard work starts now. Can' get back there till Monday though which is a bit of a downer as I need to get a new fence up. Started to dig over a couple of beds. Already has a huge rhubarb crop and a cherry tree

Interested to know the size of beds people are using. Been told not to go over 4' wide. Can't decide on normal beds or raised beds
I’ve gone for raised beds, 10 x 4 with a 2 foot path in between each. That way, I can easily reach every part of the bed without over leaning or walking on the beds.

If you go for ground level beds, they can be any size as long as you leave good paths between the rows of plants.

Back