Buying property abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It can come down to buying in the right place. The one I go to has been increadibly lucky.
La Zenia was quite quite 10 years ago. A small complex (a few bars, places to eat and a supermarket) on the main road, and nothing much else. A nice beach 10 mins away, with a cracking restaurant on the cliffs.
Also a 10 minute walk to the Cabo Roig strip, which was the main entertainment for many years.

However, the last 10 years, there's been another commerical complex with 2 supermarkets, another strip of bars and places to eat and then, a gigantic (think 50% size metro centre ) outdoor shopping mall, with a kid play area, loads of bars and places to eat.
So now, we barely bother walking to Cabo Roig anymore.
And there's a canny bar in the middle of the beach.

We got lucky I suppose.
Ah La Zenia, little Scandinavia. :lol:;)

Its a big worry.
Is it though? I can't see it being any different tbh.

No....but what could happen?
EHIC still be valid for a least a couple of years...
You're meant to have private insurance for residency anyway.

Last edited:
Got a villa booked south Majorca with a view to looking around area to see if there's any take my fancy to buy
We vowed never to buy a place abroad (have to keep going back there to make it worthwhile) but we genuinely considered majorca having visited last year.

As with everything, as long as your paperwork is in order, you should be fine.

NIE number, social security, padron, driving licence , ITV (aka MOT)

I have plans to move there permanently this year, so for those that may be interested in the admin n that, feel free to inbox me.

It's bad enough with rich British buying up dozens of homes here in the UK so that some people don't have anywhere to live at all. That they're also doing it in other countries too is shameful.

Although Cuba now allows homes to be bought and sold, thankfully it does not allow foreigners to buy. It is one Caribbean island where the best sea front homes are still in Cuban hands and the city centres are still populated by ordinary regular people.

It's bad enough with rich British buying up dozens of homes here in the UK so that some people don't have anywhere to live at all. That they're also doing it in other countries too is shameful.

Although Cuba now allows homes to be bought and sold, thankfully it does not allow foreigners to buy. It is one Caribbean island where the best sea front homes are still in Cuban hands and the city centres are still populated by ordinary regular people.
Alright fidel

Why?....
I have property in Southern Spain,Brexit isn’t a worry
We have a place in the algarve, i'm not worried either. Portugal has already said they'll still honour the ehic agreement.
The only thing we did do when we bought was to buy it outright in our names and not use an offshore company like a lot do. I can see that perhaps getting clamped down on post brexit.
Apart from that no worries at all.

Who’s account’s this then?

Bought an apartment in Cape Town - I holiday there every year and will retire there so it made perfect sense
I may have asked you this before, but what type of visa do you have for South Africa? And how easy was it to get? I've considered the idea of buying a place out there but not sure how easy it is to live there permanently

We vowed never to buy a place abroad (have to keep going back there to make it worthwhile) but we genuinely considered majorca having visited last year.
Chances are we won't buy as your correct in that you would have to keep going back to make it worthwhile and then would you get bored. I was thinking of the investment side of things rather than using it as a second home altho we/family would use it regularly.
My accountant had a nightmare buying a property in Portugal and that put me off for a while but then you hear success stories aswell.

Toyed with the idea for years but came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper just to have loads of holidays with the added benefit of being able to go wherever takes our fancy instead of the same place.

mate bought one off plan in dream hills Torrevieja a while back, builder/developer went bust after his was completed, but left part of the development unfinished.Said properties were left standing for ages, suffered vandalism graffiti etc. Sorted now, but house is worth a fraction of what he paid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back