Buying property abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I go to my in-laws place, I think the same thing mate!

Sorry you got fucked over mate. Thankfully my in-laws bought through a middle-man who knew what he was doing (Gus Robinson), so they were ok. But people on their development weren't all as lucky.
Harsh life lessons mate. We all need them :-O

Mate has just bought a place in Spain and is loving it at the moment.

We stayed there for a week and got talking to some expats in the bars.
They reckoned the biggest problem is that when you come to sell up after 10 years or so there has been about 3 or 4 newer, bigger, better complexes built up the coast since you bought yours and all of the nightlife and entertainment has moved with them.

One guy was saying that he was basically living in a ghost town with few shops, no bars and he'd been trying to sell up for years.

Mate has just bought a place in Spain and is loving it at the moment.

We stayed there for a week and got talking to some expats in the bars.
They reckoned the biggest problem is that when you come to sell up after 10 years or so there has been about 3 or 4 newer, bigger, better complexes built up the coast since you bought yours and all of the nightlife and entertainment has moved with them.

One guy was saying that he was basically living in a ghost town with few shops, no bars and he'd been trying to sell up for years.
It can come down to buying in the right place. The one I go to has been increadibly lucky.
La Zenia was quite quite 10 years ago. A small complex (a few bars, places to eat and a supermarket) on the main road, and nothing much else. A nice beach 10 mins away, with a cracking restaurant on the cliffs.
Also a 10 minute walk to the Cabo Roig strip, which was the main entertainment for many years.

However, the last 10 years, there's been another commerical complex with 2 supermarkets, another strip of bars and places to eat and then, a gigantic (think 50% size metro centre ) outdoor shopping mall, with a kid play area, loads of bars and places to eat.
So now, we barely bother walking to Cabo Roig anymore.
And there's a canny bar in the middle of the beach.

We got lucky I suppose.

It can come down to buying in the right place. The one I go to has been increadibly lucky.
La Zenia was quite quite 10 years ago. A small complex (a few bars, places to eat and a supermarket) on the main road, and nothing much else. A nice beach 10 mins away, with a cracking restaurant on the cliffs.
Also a 10 minute walk to the Cabo Roig strip, which was the main entertainment for many years.

However, the last 10 years, there's been another commerical complex with 2 supermarkets, another strip of bars and places to eat and then, a gigantic (think 50% size metro centre ) outdoor shopping mall, with a kid play area, loads of bars and places to eat.

We got lucky I suppose.

Do you own a place out there ?
If so what area you recommend we been looking at Cabo Roig and Playa Flamenca they any good ?

Do you own a place out there ?
If so what area you recommend we been looking at Cabo Roig and Playa Flamenca they any good ?
My in-laws have a place in La Zenia - which is the town bang between Cabo Roig and Playa Flamenca.

Zenia Boulevard (the massive shopping mall) is really great, and between La Zenia and Playa Flemenca, and we used to always walk into Cabo Roig strip - although not as much now, as La Zenia has loads of good bars and places to eat now too.

So yeah, all 3 places are spot on imo. I'd probably pick La Zenia again though if it were my money, as its in the middle, and closer to Villa Martin, which is also cracking (has a LOVELY commercial centre for drinks and scran - mind, the one in Playa Flamenca looks a bit run down now)

My in-laws have a place in La Zenia - which is the town bang between Cabo Roig and Playa Flamenca.

Zenia Boulevard (the massive shopping mall) is really great, and between La Zenia and Playa Flemenca, and we used to always walk into Cabo Roig strip - although not as much now, as La Zenia has loads of good bars and places to eat now too.

So yeah, all 3 places are spot on imo. I'd probably pick La Zenia again though if it were my money, as its in the middle, and closer to Villa Martin, which is also cracking (has a LOVELY commercial centre for drinks and scran - mind, the one in Playa Flamenca looks a bit run down now)
stayed just down the road at dehesa de campoamor a few times

stayed just down the road at dehesa de campoamor a few times
Nice beach there, although its not a place we go to otherwise. Used to drive through it every time when the flights went to Mercia San Javier though - that was perfect, just 20 mins away. Shame they've moved it to the other side of Mercia now though, which is an hour away, just like Alicante.

The beach at Cabo roig is an absolute sun trap like can be blowing a hoolie but it’s still sheltered
Aye, its spot on.

La Zenia beach is lovely (I love La Mirada for some tapas and a few beers too), but its a bit open and not ideal on a windy day.

Some friends of the family bought a place in Italy. Had a good year out of it, then Easyjet pulled the flights to Rome from Newcastle and going out to the holiday home went from costing about £100 return to almost triple that and having to connect flights in Amsterdam, or driving down to Manchester

Sold it shortly after that.

We bought one in the boom. £140K. Just managed to pay the balance just before the collapse. I lost 20K on the money rate at transfer. My wife became ill and we could not go. Property prices fell and I lost a hell of a lot when I finally sold it.

We bought one in the boom. £140K. Just managed to pay the balance just before the collapse. I lost 20K on the money rate at transfer. My wife became ill and we could not go. Property prices fell and I lost a hell of a lot when I finally sold it.
Suppose it could have been worse. A lot of people handed over their cash for absolutely nothing - as it turned out their "paperwork" was nonsense.
Thousands have had their properties siezed by the banks, and re-sold, with them getting absolutely nowt.

Doesn't help you I guess. But both stories do hopefully make people think before buying

Got talking to a group of lads who all bought themselves a holiday home in southern Spain next door to each other.

They said they paid around £17k each and as they all work in the building trade they’re able to go over a few times a year to do work on them and have a lads holiday and then they’ll eventually get the rest of their families over when all the work’s done.

Sounded mint but it looked like a fuck ton of work from the photos they showed me. Does anyone here own a second property abroad?
Is it these lads?

Logon or register to see this image

We got lucky I suppose.
Our niece worked in a furniture shop there for years. She lives in San Pedro just along the coast, her dads in Torri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back