Buying property abroad

You can walk around La Zenia, and only hear Scandinavian voices. :lol:
Er??? I've been about 12 times, and never thought that.

Irish voices, for sure.

It's bad enough with rich British buying up dozens of homes here in the UK so that some people don't have anywhere to live at all. That they're also doing it in other countries too is shameful.
Only in some circumstances.

Many of these resorts simply wouldn't exist if not for ex-pat communities. It was a boom economy over the last 20 years building these places from the ground up.

Of course, some are proper towns/cities, and then you have a point.

Last edited:

mate bought one off plan in dream hills Torrevieja a while back, builder/developer went bust after his was completed, but left part of the development unfinished.Said properties were left standing for ages, suffered vandalism graffiti etc. Sorted now, but house is worth a fraction of what he paid...
The amount of development there was crazy... When you take into account how many were already stood empty

It's bad enough with rich British buying up dozens of homes here in the UK so that some people don't have anywhere to live at all. That they're also doing it in other countries too is shameful.

Although Cuba now allows homes to be bought and sold, thankfully it does not allow foreigners to buy. It is one Caribbean island where the best sea front homes are still in Cuban hands and the city centres are still populated by ordinary regular people.
I agree with your point on owning multiple homes in this country but not bothered if other countries allow it. It's their choice.

One of the bloke I play golf with is a major exporter of fresh produce. He reckons 70% of fruit and veg grown in Murcia and Almeria are exported to the UK. What else they gonna do with it? Not grow it? Sell it to another country? Nah, I don't think so.
Not really just his choice at the end of the day tho.

I may have asked you this before, but what type of visa do you have for South Africa? And how easy was it to get? I've considered the idea of buying a place out there but not sure how easy it is to live there permanently
You don't need a Visa if you stay for up to 3 months. That's long enough for me for now but at a later date I will be applying for a retirement visa - all you need to do is prove income of £2000 per month. Any age qualifies too

You don't need a Visa if you stay for up to 3 months. That's long enough for me for now but at a later date I will be applying for a retirement visa - all you need to do is prove income of £2000 per month. Any age qualifies too
Nice one, I knew about the 3 month tourist visa but didn't know about the retirement visa. I would imagine this stipulates you can't work. My daughter is living there on a student visa and we're trying to work out what we can do to get her a visa which will allow her to live and work there.

Nice one, I knew about the 3 month tourist visa but didn't know about the retirement visa. I would imagine this stipulates you can't work. My daughter is living there on a student visa and we're trying to work out what we can do to get her a visa which will allow her to live and work there.
If she gets an offer of employment then she will get a working visa - my 3 niece's all used to work in Cape Town but have returned to the UK because they couldn't see much chance of progression within their companies

Toyed with the idea for years but came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper just to have loads of holidays with the added benefit of being able to go wherever takes our fancy instead of the same place.
I came to that view as well. I also don't fancy having cash tied up in a property abroad when I could be spending it during retirement.

Toyed with the idea for years but came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper just to have loads of holidays with the added benefit of being able to go wherever takes our fancy instead of the same place.
I thought like that but eventually came to the conclusion that as long as you buy in the right place you wont run the risk of blowing a big wedge on somewhere shite . You can holiday as many times a year for as long as you like and eventually leave something behind for the kids to inherit . Oh, I must point out I am retired .

Last edited:
I thought like that but eventually came to the conclusion that as long as you buy in the right place you wont run the risk of blowing a big wedge on somewhere shite . You can holiday as many times a year for as long as you like and eventually leave something behind for the kids to inherit . Oh, I must point out I am retired .
Little Miss ouro will be as rich as Crassus when we fall off the log anyway marra. Got it? Spend it is ny attitude

bought in Bansko ski resort in Bulgaria prob 2005 off plan, built by Mr Macanthony of peterborough united, we got a finished apartment apparently lots of people didnt.. we use it a few times a year to ski and go sometimes in the summer. its in a rental pool as part of the complex and we get a little bit back from that, paid 90k euros which was about 65 k sterling as rate was 1.4ish prob worth 25k euro now..its paid for and we use it , be somewhere for our kids to take theirs skiing when they have family and no money.. will probably live a few months a year out there when we retire its quite nice and peaceful in the summer with great walking

bought in Bansko ski resort in Bulgaria prob 2005 off plan, built by Mr Macanthony of peterborough united, we got a finished apartment apparently lots of people didnt.. we use it a few times a year to ski and go sometimes in the summer. its in a rental pool as part of the complex and we get a little bit back from that, paid 90k euros which was about 65 k sterling as rate was 1.4ish prob worth 25k euro now..its paid for and we use it , be somewhere for our kids to take theirs skiing when they have family and no money.. will probably live a few months a year out there when we retire its quite nice and peaceful in the summer with great walking
I also put a deposit down at Whiteoaks in Bansko but pulled the plug when I saw how much overbuild was taking place - lost more than 20k in the process but thought better that then pay another 60k and end up with a property worth next to nowt

Bansko - yeah remember that being massively pushed back around 05/06. Went to a couple of overseas property investment fairs/exhibitions around then.

My in-laws have a place in La Zenia - which is the town bang between Cabo Roig and Playa Flamenca.

Zenia Boulevard (the massive shopping mall) is really great, and between La Zenia and Playa Flemenca, and we used to always walk into Cabo Roig strip - although not as much now, as La Zenia has loads of good bars and places to eat now too.

So yeah, all 3 places are spot on imo. I'd probably pick La Zenia again though if it were my money, as its in the middle, and closer to Villa Martin, which is also cracking (has a LOVELY commercial centre for drinks and scran - mind, the one in Playa Flamenca looks a bit run down now)

Cheers for info have u been over there during winter months?
we are looking for a retirement place for winter months November to March hopefully bit warmer than north east England then family members can use during peak summer holiday times

Cheers for info have u been over there during winter months?
we are looking for a retirement place for winter months November to March hopefully bit warmer than north east England then family members can use during peak summer holiday times
Winter is my favourite time to go there. Around 15c but with sun. Its lovely.

The cabo roig strip tends to be half closed down, but there's plenty of other things.

I also put a deposit down at Whiteoaks in Bansko but pulled the plug when I saw how much overbuild was taking place - lost more than 20k in the process but thought better that then pay another 60k and end up with a property worth next to nowt

Probably not a bad decision to pull out when you did and lose a bit..had a bit more foresight than we did..however we go reasonably regular and always enjoy it, its quirky and a bit different, the skiing is high quality but small piste area and cheap enough, but always manage a trip to one of the large french resorts, to get a bit mileage in without doing same runs over and over.

Back