Buying a new bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMO the situation that you can’t buy a bike that’ll stand up to a decent level of use for £500 is a scandal. Too often the actual physical engineering that goes into the machine comes way down the line after the design & look shite. It’s a simple basic concept, with the making farmed out to 2nd or 3rd world companies to maximize profits.

I've been using the Harley to work
Love it
15k will get you a nice one
IMO the situation that you can’t buy a bike that’ll stand up to a decent level of use for £500 is a scandal. Too often the actual physical engineering that goes into the machine comes way down the line after the design & look shite. It’s a simple basic concept, with the making farmed out to 2nd or 3rd world companies to maximize profits.
The cyclist has just been slowly conned into thinking all the extra stuf is essential rather than just extra
Reasonable condition ,air in the tyres ,few gears, seat, brakes ,go

Last edited:
Budget up to £500 and no mention of Decathlon yet? Not sure of their hybrids, but if I were after a road bike at that price that’d be my first stop.

I've acquired a bike and started riding to work. Who do people use for servicing as it probably needs tweaking and given a once over by an expert. How much do services cost as well?

Awaits the "why not do it yourself" crack despite me having no intention of doing it myself.

I've acquired a bike and started riding to work. Who do people use for servicing as it probably needs tweaking and given a once over by an expert. How much do services cost as well?

Awaits the "why not do it yourself" crack despite me having no intention of doing it myself.

I would use Cycle World in the town if I didn’t do it myself. Others on here prefer Darkes.

I got the bairn a £500 MTB on cycle to work :lol: and I’m narked at the quality of the rims. He’s managed to ding them 3 times hopping off kerbs, the last one being quite bad. A MTB at that price should be able to handle some abuse. Looks like I’m gonna have to shell out for some freeride wheels.

I got the bairn a £500 MTB on cycle to work :lol: and I’m narked at the quality of the rims. He’s managed to ding them 3 times hopping off kerbs, the last one being quite bad. A MTB at that price should be able to handle some abuse. Looks like I’m gonna have to shell out for some freeride wheels.

Dave, I’ve got seven wheels of varying standards in the loft. You’re more than welcome to a set. They range from a D/H rear to some shite OEM wheels. I’ve had them years and stand me nowt.

I would use Cycle World in the town if I didn’t do it myself. Others on here prefer Darkes.
I’m running out of patience with my inability to get my gears working properly mind. Despite having a workstand and limitless YouTube videos I still can’t sort it.
I gave up at one point and took it to Darkies, but they had a two week waiting list soit came home again.

Just had a look on our company's cycle to work page and it says "the window is now closed", is that the same for everyone or will it be because our place is all closed down right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back