Buying a new bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have probably said, I've got chronic sciatica. Would this impact the choices? Riding position, saddle, etc

Nah well out of shape, desk job and bad back limits what I can do. Single speed as in no gears? That'd probably suit me tbf, I've never had a bike with gears. I always rode bmx as a bairn.

By the looks of things you'll want something that sits you upright, and something that doesn't involve stretching towards the handlebars. A hybrid is probably your best bet if you want it for fitness, but you could also consider a more traditional bike (a Dutch style bike for example), maybe with a step through frame to help with reducing amount of awkward movement you need to do to get on /off.

Hybrids are pointless imho, go for a gravel bike or cyclocross. What is cdne?
Sorry just seen you have bad back.
You'd be struggling to get either for £500.

I went for a hybrid, even on the roads its far better than my road bike due to the pot holes etc.

I tend to ride round the pot holes , try it sometime , makes life easier man.
Obviously.

Its not always that easy, I most ride through town, so busy roads. Drivers don't tend to afford you the luxury of being able to ride round every pot hole.

To be honest if you are an absolute beginner with poor fitness I’d buy a cheap used mountain bike or hybrid from gumtree/eBay. Nicer bikes only make a real difference when you are further down the line and even then it starts drifting into expensive nerdy kit quite quickly. Buy the cheap bike and then if you stick to it, treat yourself next year.

To be honest if you are an absolute beginner with poor fitness I’d buy a cheap used mountain bike or hybrid from gumtree/eBay. Nicer bikes only make a real difference when you are further down the line and even then it starts drifting into expensive nerdy kit quite quickly. Buy the cheap bike and then if you stick to it, treat yourself next year.
Same as me with golf - I dabble with it now and then. Wouldn't want to buy new clubs.

Good thinking, but I'm always reluctant to buy 2nd hand especially bikes in as they're knicked.

Good thinking, but I'm always reluctant to buy 2nd hand especially bikes in as they're knicked.

You can usually tell if they're stolen. The genuine ads stand out. I commute just under ten mile a day on a 1980 Raleigh Chiltern. It's class and cost me 120 quid. I use it for everything, work, shopping, whatever. It's bomb proof. Carries a bag and a laptop on the front rack no bother. Upright riding style so it's comfortable and you can see very well in traffic.

Just shows you don't need to spend a fortune and don't need to worry about all the bike nerd stuff (unless you want to!). All you need to do is find a style you're comfortable on and get out there. Some prefer the road bikes, others hybrids or fixies. Shame you can't really go out and test them at the minute!

Logon or register to see this image

Thoughts on this?
Well it's in stock for starters which is better than I've found :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back