Burge

Status
Not open for further replies.

No idea what he was doing but his role in the whole segment of play in the lead up was a complete shambles.
The game was around 1min 45 old and we had kicked off. In that time he made 3 mistakes. Tried to come for the free kick when it was never there to claim, palmed the shot straight back out to their player and then inexplicably rugby tackling the same player from behind. Incredibly shit really.

My memory of him is being absolutely bang average at everything, but having a long kick. He played in the early cup games last season and people were saying he was playing well, but I just didn't see it, didn't see him save anything anyone bang average wouldn't have. Cov fans warned about his handling but said he was a good shotstopper but I don't think we've seen real evidence of the latter yet. For me an out of form Jon Mc last season was a step above him, I was hoping I was wrong but he's not inspiring any confidence yet, hoping Matthews is decent.

87 we won the third division with Iain Hesford, who was far from good.

We have some hope then.

Build your team from the back starting with your keeper
It’s not fuckin rocket science
How have we not grasped it ?

Sounds like no improvement from what we had to put up with week after week.

The problem you now have is what I mentioned before. Our defence lost all confidence in Burge. He comes out when he should stay and stays on his line when he should easily collect the ball. Defenders ended up ignoring his shouts and would go for the ball to make a clearance. They would stay back until they knew any danger had gone. This slows down any counter attack.

But on the bright side he is easily one of the best shot stoppers in this division.
We will never get a keeper of the quality of McLaughlin again while we're in League One.
Why not?

We got Marosi from Doncaster. Took us from not making the playoffs with Burge to being able to play with confidence. You can find several good keepers at this level. Others will leave sides at a higher level to be able to play. GK's don't get injured very often so being No.2 can be crap.

Burge is good enough to be a No.2. But it will be a long hard season of frustration if you don't get someone in who has more game awareness in them.
Build your team from the back starting with your keeper
It’s not fuckin rocket science
How have we not grasped it ?
Each player comes with their YouTube videos. Burge will look a fantastic GK with the saves he makes. But if they ever made a video of GK mistakes he would be in it constantly.

We had countless supporters defending Burge for years. But once he was replaced nearly all of them admitted they were wrong. We had been poor in that position for a lot of years. His saves will make sure many defend him. Put a few wins together and it gets forgotten about until he costs you points again.

Last edited:
Burge is miles below McLaughlin in terms of quality.

He's not as good, no. I don't think it's realistic to think we'd be able to match JM's ability at this level after his departure.

He made a mess of things today but I think it can be attributed to him being a little rusty after a lack of first team football over the last year, and most likely a bit of nerves. He will only improve given time and games, and he is still relatively young for a goalkeeper. He doesn't need to get to JM's level but he can't be making those kind of errors.

He's not as good, no. I don't think it's realistic to think we'd be able to match JM's ability at this level after his departure.

He made a mess of things today but I think it can be attributed to him being a little rusty after a lack of first team football over the last year, and most likely a bit of nerves. He will only improve given time and games, and he is still relatively young for a goalkeeper. He doesn't need to get to JM's level but he can't be making those kind of errors.
“He doesn’t need to get to JM’s level”.
This type of thinking is why we are a struggling third division football club.

Has a team ever won a league with a shite keeper?

no and this one won’t either
“He doesn’t need to get to JM’s level”.
This type of thinking is why we are a struggling third division football club.

yes we are struggling and nowt will change until the mindset from above does. The board thinK we have an adequate replacement in Burge and cover in Mathews. Both have now cost us in matches albeit 1 was a pointless friendly but still. If we dont have a decent keeper we are fucked this season

Last edited:
I'm sure he was crap the first time I watched him play for us......then he appeared to improve a little............
Anyway.....he made our defence look good by comparison!

Sounds like no improvement from what we had to put up with week after week.

The problem you now have is what I mentioned before. Our defence lost all confidence in Burge. He comes out when he should stay and stays on his line when he should easily collect the ball. Defenders ended up ignoring his shouts and would go for the ball to make a clearance. They would stay back until they knew any danger had gone. This slows down any counter attack.
Exactly what was witnessed yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back