Budgeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how old the OP is. Plenty good advice so far.
Me n our lass saved my wage and lived of hers whilst we were still living at home with parents.
Bought our first house when 28 and continued to use her pay for bills etc. I paid mortgage .
Helps that both us are savers than spenders.
Seen plenty go out and spend spend spend .
OP seems to have sense. Keep saving hard as you never know what’s round corner and there’s no better feeling having a wedge of dosh in the bank.

Maybe...but living with your parents til that age seems like the worst kind of hell.

I'd disagree with that. Yes games can be pricey but you could literally enjoy a game for years and at 50 quid it's not bad going. A single night out these days is best part of a ton so pound for pound it works out quite reasonable.

If you're not arsed about the latest ones you can get loads of great games for a tenner.

Maybe...but living with your parents til that age seems like the worst kind of hell.
I was at my parents til I was 30 and it was fine. Everything done for you, cheap rent. I was down the pub 5 nights a week and stopped at my lass’ parents the other two. Spent my time at home in my room so it wasn’t like sitting round the telly together like gogglebox. I also worked for my dad so it made lifts to work easier.
If you're not arsed about the latest ones you can get loads of great games for a tenner.
I got about 15 top notch PS3 games for a couple of quid each last Xmas, and I’ve only got through 4 of them in 11 months.

Last edited:
I was at my parents til I was 30 and it was fine. Everything done for you, cheap rent. I was down the pub 5 nights a week and stopped at my lass’ parents the other two. Spent my time at home in my room so it wasn’t like sitting round the telly together like gogglebox. I also worked for my dad so it made lifts to work easier.

I got about 15 top notch PS3 games for a couple of quid each last Xmas, and I’ve only got through 4 of them in 11 months.
You sound like Malcolm Murton mate .

In the same position as yourself mortgage offer came today.

We don’t have a joint account. Historically she’s better with money anyway. I have two accounts. My wage goes in one and all my bills come out via direct debit. My savings goes to the missus as she has a separate account for that. All my expenses including food are on a spreadsheet. At the start of the month I send the disposable income to my other account. It’s usually about £400.

Been doing this for 4 years. I actually have savings, I’ve been accepted for a mortgage, paid for a weddinghad about 7/8 holidays and my debt position has more than halved.

I wish someone sat me down age 19 and explained budgeting to me.

Been renting all this time as well.

Depends what kind of relationship you have with your parents .
I paid board ....came and went when I pleased and was spoilt rotten.
Bloody great.

Again, each to their own but that sounds horrific, needed my own space from 18 onwards even if a lot of that was sharing with friends.

Wouldn't trade those years for all the financial stability in the world.

You sound like Malcolm Murton mate .
Whee?
It would be interesting to know how many people on here that have their life all comfortably boxed off would cope with a life changing event like a divorce or god forbid a death. Most people seem to deal with it by shacking up with the first person they meet and carrying on in much the same vein. However if you decide to go it alone, you suddenly have one income to pay for a house (which you may not be able to get a mortgage for) and all the bills. Those margins can become a lot tighter very quickly, especially if you have kids and maintenance payments to make.
Again, each to their own but that sounds horrific, needed my own space from 18 onwards even if a lot of that was sharing with friends.

What did you do in those years that you couldn’t do still living at home, out of interest? I had friend’s houses to hang out at and the house was basically somewhere to sleep and eat.

Last edited:

I think sharing with friends you'd have even less of your own space than living with parents. Staying there until you're 30 is a bit sad but dont think theres anything wrong with staying there for 2 or 3 years after youve got a proper job to save up for a bit.
Whee?
It would be interesting to know how many people on here that have their life all comfortably boxed off would cope with a life changing event like a divorce or god forbid a death. Most people seem to deal with it by shacking up with the first person they meet and carrying on in much the same vein. However if you decide to go it alone, you suddenly have one income to pay for a house (which you may not be able to get a mortgage for) and all the bills. Those margins can become a lot tighter very quickly, especially if you have kids and maintenance payments to make.

What did you do in those years that you couldn’t do still living at home, out of interest? I had friend’s houses to hang out at and the house was basically somewhere to sleep and eat.

Bringing random lasses back to your parents can be a bit awkward

Last edited:
I think sharing with friends you'd have even less of your own space than living with parents. Staying there until you're 30 is a bit sad but dont think theres anything wrong with staying there for 2 or 3 years after youve got a proper job to save up for a bit.

Bringing random lasses back to your parents can be a bit awkward
That’s probably the only issue, but I had a lass for the majority of that time.

Me and the mrs have just bought our first house, we've just sat and worked out how much money we have spare per month after bills, food, car etc... We are looking at having around £600 a month between us to use as disposable income, possibly a little bit more as we have rounded the bills up slightly higher than what we think they could be.

I'm panicking slightly as I don't think £300 a month each is a lot to have left over, especially when you have to factor in having to buy bloody Xmas presents etc... at this time of year.

How much disposable income to you tend to have left over per month?
Using the term disposable income is where you have gone wrong mate.
Whatever you save is ‘disposable income’ mate. Savings.

Whee?

I’m on about when you lived at home mate till your 30s

Aye. My life would be pretty basic if I had to live alone on my wages especially as I'd still have two kids to support.
A lot of lads in that situation unfortunately. I do think it’s fair that all fathers should support their kids, but in some cases a payment break at the beginning of the split would benefit all.

A lot of lads in that situation unfortunately. I do think it’s fair that all fathers should support their kids, but in some cases a payment break at the beginning of the split would benefit all.

No problem at all supporting my kids. Would give them my last penny but doing the sums I would be constantly on the bones of my arse if I lived alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back