Budgeting

Started thinking about going back to the grind yet?
Nah mate. Fuck that. I'm in the US for a month in January anyway.
Some people might be happy in a 2 bed terrace having loads of spare cash whilst others prefer having less spare cash but living in a 4 bed detached for example
That's it like. I've got a three bed semi fully paid, but if I want something better it's a canny bit of debt/mortgage. I'll probably do it eventually like.

Last edited:
Nah mate. Fuck that. I'm in the US for a month in January anyway.

That's it like. I've got a three bed semi fully paid, but if I want something better it's a canny bit of debt/mortgage. I'll probably do it eventually like.

Nice, think I'm back there in Feb with work - was surprised how much I enjoyed it last time.

4 years left on our mortgage then rental income is paying for a bigger one, prices have gone nuts so right time to do it

Nice, think I'm back there in Feb with work - was surprised how much I enjoyed it last time.

4 years left on our mortgage then rental income is paying for a bigger one, prices have gone nuts so right time to do it

Where are you off to? We're in Florida for the month in January, should beat a month of freeze anyway!

I was amazed how un-bothered I was when I paid my mortgage off to be honest. We're too young to stick so it's meaningless really.
Over 1000 pints in Czech Republic anarl.
He's from Shiney. That's a week's worth.

Where are you off to? We're in Florida for the month in January, should beat a month of freeze anyway!

I was amazed how un-bothered I was when I paid my mortgage off to be honest. We're too young to stick so it's meaningless really.

Atlanta and Charlotte - nice places

Gives you a canny start towards your next one though

Theres loads of factors like having kids & houses.

Some people might be happy in a 2 bed terrace having loads of spare cash whilst others prefer having less spare cash but living in a 4 bed detached for example

Usually 20-something first-time buyers with cars on tick who take photos of their Nando's for Instagram

(or so I heard from some bitter old person on here)

Usually 20-something first-time buyers with cars on tick who take photos of their Nando's for Instagram

(or so I heard from some bitter old person on here)

Usually the opposite. Theyre the ones renting & moaning about how expensive houses are to buy.

Me and the mrs have just bought our first house, we've just sat and worked out how much money we have spare per month after bills, food, car etc... We are looking at having around £600 a month between us to use as disposable income, possibly a little bit more as we have rounded the bills up slightly higher than what we think they could be.

I'm panicking slightly as I don't think £300 a month each is a lot to have left over, especially when you have to factor in having to buy bloody Xmas presents etc... at this time of year.

How much disposable income to you tend to have left over per month?
The comfort zone is having 33% outgoings, 33% living, 34% saving for hols/car/isa. That's what to aim for, so with buying a house it's time to look at ways to save money and unfortunately miss some treats. Every year try to change your service providers (phone, insurance, energy etc) and get selling rubbish you don't need on e-bay.

The comfort zone is having 33% outgoings, 33% living, 34% saving for hols/car/isa. That's what to aim for, so with buying a house it's time to look at ways to save money and unfortunately miss some treats. Every year try to change your service providers (phone, insurance, energy etc) and get selling rubbish you don't need on e-bay.

thats a great mantra, wished id been a bit more disciplined before the kids came along that would have eased the burden now but YOLO and all that - you can’t do those holidays with kids

think the main message is cut your cloth accordingly, don’t buy things on finance as they inevitably are a waste of money, and aim towards saving 6 months wages for a rainy day (I’ve still never managed that)

thats a great mantra, wished id been a bit more disciplined before the kids came along that would have eased the burden now but YOLO and all that - you can’t do those holidays with kids

think the main message is cut your cloth accordingly, don’t buy things on finance as they inevitably are a waste of money, and aim towards saving 6 months wages for a rainy day (I’ve still never managed that)

shit mesell when I see what we spend on hols per annum but kids arent about forever, some hols sre priceless imo.

Not sure how old the OP is. Plenty good advice so far.
Me n our lass saved my wage and lived of hers whilst we were still living at home with parents.
Bought our first house when 28 and continued to use her pay for bills etc. I paid mortgage .
Helps that both us are savers than spenders.
Seen plenty go out and spend spend spend .
OP seems to have sense. Keep saving hard as you never know what’s round corner and there’s no better feeling having a wedge of dosh in the bank.

Engineer came out and fitted that yesterday. :oops:

Considering sacking off the Xbox like, don’t really have time to play it now anyway. Plus games are expensive.
I'd disagree with that. Yes games can be pricey but you could literally enjoy a game for years and at 50 quid it's not bad going. A single night out these days is best part of a ton so pound for pound it works out quite reasonable.

Back