Budgeting

But wage increases generally cover that, and one big side of the cost element (mortgage payment) should stay static so theoretically he should get a bit more comfortable over time.
Not if you work in the public sector they dont. I haven't had an inflation level pay rise for the last 10 years. Getting a promotion in many areas will be what see's you having a bit more disposable income in time.

Not if you work in the public sector they dont. I haven't had an inflation level pay rise for the last 10 years. Getting a promotion in many areas will be what see's you having a bit more disposable income in time.
I don’t miss public sector for that. When I started it was a job for life and nice little cost of living and grades.
When I left it was redundancy every year and no cost of living and no route for promotion.
Pension was better than private tho

I’m on about when you lived at home mate till your 30s
Aye, so did my brother, my wife and quite a few of my mates. It’s not unusual these days you know.
Most married men are one divorce from a bed sit. Unless they keep a secret stash.
People have no idea until it happens to them. Luckily I was able to rent a decent house with their own bedrooms, but I’m still paying for the divorce 9 years on.
A lad at work is always boasting about his financial plan and I say what if you split up and he says she’ll never leave him. Fairly bold claim that mind.
Then then CSA come along and rip a large chunk of your disposable away, no matter how often you see the kids.

Last edited:
Depends on your perspective imo - I treat my savings like a bill and anything else can be spent. Mind, the savings are to an end such as holidays, wedding etc. Might be different if it was just saving for savings sake.

Everybody should try to have some savings for savings sake. I've started to treat it as a bill too. The same amount goes in on payday regardless of what I've got going on that month. It does get dipped into for unexpected things more than I would like though.

Everybody should try to have some savings for savings sake. I've started to treat it as a bill too. The same amount goes in on payday regardless of what I've got going on that month. It does get dipped into for unexpected things more than I would like though.

Theres always something unexpected - oven and washer/dryer both been replaced this year for us

Always seems to be the way but nicer when you have backup cash.

Theres always something unexpected - oven and washer/dryer both been replaced this year for us

Vets bills and a broken TV for us. Our dishwasher is on its way out and our washer is 10 years old so I'm expecting those two to be next year's big purchases.
Always seems to be the way but nicer when you have backup cash.

Aye. Atleast I am not credit carding anything anymore like I did in my early 20s.

Last edited:
Vets bills and a broken TV for us. Our dishwasher is on its way out and our washer is 10 years old so I'm expecting those two to be next year's big purchases.

Aye. Atleast I am not credit carding anything anymore like I did in my early 20s.

Aye we don't have a cc we've 2 saving pots, 1 for house and car stuff, one for holidays, Xmas and golf fees etc.

Some people mustn't find budgeting at Blackhall Colliery a problem if bundles of 2k a time get dropped off on the pavement. The people handing them in I mean. Still worth a walkabout if you live nearby.

I live by myself, separated from wife and got an 8yr old son who I have 4 nights a week. It's very hard to get by but my goal for 2020 is to get my money in order and budget my life and finances. I'll be debt free soon with a few thousand in the bank (inheritance) so will be in a great position to sort my life out. I haven't been debt free since I met my wife funnily enough, I can't wait to start enjoying my life and not having the worry of paying the bills and looking after my son hanging over me.

We also budget using a spreadsheet, well I do anyway. We both get paid into the same account which all of the bills leave from as well. anything left over is disposable. We class savings for us and both kids as a bill so it comes out of the bills money. I think £600 spare case per month will have been more than what we started to have when we first bought out 1st house together so i think the OP will be fine. Good luck

I live by myself, separated from wife and got an 8yr old son who I have 4 nights a week. It's very hard to get by but my goal for 2020 is to get my money in order and budget my life and finances. I'll be debt free soon with a few thousand in the bank (inheritance) so will be in a great position to sort my life out. I haven't been debt free since I met my wife funnily enough, I can't wait to start enjoying my life and not having the worry of paying the bills and looking after my son hanging over me.
Get in joe lad. Good luck pal.

I don’t miss public sector for that. When I started it was a job for life and nice little cost of living and grades.
When I left it was redundancy every year and no cost of living and no route for promotion.
Pension was better than private tho
The level of pay increases are a joke now. Annoyingly people just seem to accept them and no realistic prospect of inflation level increases under another tory govt. I just hope they dont have yet another attempt to reduce the redundancy terms/payments.

Back