BT Sport old MOTD highlights - booing black players

Status
Not open for further replies.

The only racist chant I can remember joining in was away at Bradford, didn't feel right and i never did it again, I always felt sorry for the black lads getting personal abuse even as a kid I couldn't get my head around it, hopefully it stays where it belongs in the past.

You’ll always get the odd knacker at games who thinks it’s acceptable to racially abuse a player but they’ll be dealt with by fellow fans / stewards & cops the vast majority of the time.

I don’t see racist chants en mass returning and if a section of fans tried to start it then there would be fights between fans in the stands, no doubt about it.

Anyone been watching these?
Mainly showing stuff from late 70s to mid 80s.

Quite incredible to hear the booing and monkey chants openly aimed at just about every black player.

Justin Fashanu received disgusting treatment at Middlesbrough in 1980. The commentator never mentioned it. But let's face it, it happened everywhere.

What a shameful period in this country's history.

I can well remember this happening and although I never joined in, like most I accepted it and thought little of it at the time.

How long before this starts to grow again at games?
The current political climate is encouraging neanderthals and giving them a voice. There is no reason to think racism won't return to grounds if people think it's okay to run on and attack a player.

Not a chance it would return like that imho. The 70’s and early 80’s just seemed to be massively violent. Fighting just seemed to happen everywhere. A very small example but my kids have said they don’t remember ever seeing a fight in school :lol: primary school admittedly but wtf there was a fight probably every week when I was a kid. Sadly it probably ends up someone getting a knife in their back instead these days

I remember safc fans going to Cardiff and singing about the aberfan disaster. It was a common chant wherever Cardiff played.

It was totally and utterly different times and looking back now it just seems like a different country never mind a different game. There was loads of violence, the vast majority never reported and I remember a 1500 person pitched battle at charlton. Goodness knows what would have been made if that in these times. I think it made 2 square inches in the Shields gazette.
There was a racist comment at Wycombe, not about a player but Luton the town.

Aye, all 2 of them.

The worst I ever saw at a game was the mags treatment of Bennett and Gayle on New Year's Day 1985. It was about half the crowd, totally horrendous and they both got sent off anarl.

I admit I joined in the chanting and abuse of black players prior to us having black lads playing for us like the 2 above and Agboola. It was a mob thing and as a bairn I went along with it without a moments thought.

Dreadful times looking back and I'm pleased those days are a very distant memory.

I remember in the mid 90s the "rather be a p*ki than a Mag" chants so it's not that long ago.

And of course there are the "paedo" Boro chants

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone been watching these?
Mainly showing stuff from late 70s to mid 80s.

Quite incredible to hear the booing and monkey chants openly aimed at just about every black player.

Justin Fashanu received disgusting treatment at Middlesbrough in 1980. The commentator never mentioned it. But let's face it, it happened everywhere.

What a shameful period in this country's history.

I can well remember this happening and although I never joined in, like most I accepted it and thought little of it at the time.

How long before this starts to grow again at games?
The current political climate is encouraging neanderthals and giving them a voice. There is no reason to think racism won't return to grounds if people think it's okay to run on and attack a player.
Not being funnt but why do you think the political climate now is encouraging it??

Not being funnt but why do you think the political climate now is encouraging it??

Fairly obvious mate. Loads of division in society now. Brexit has polarised opinion to extreme levels. There is an educated debate to be had over Brexit but far too often it simply doesn't happen. There is very little respect for the alternative view. Racism has been normalised in some quarters in a way I haven't seen for 30 years.

Fairly obvious mate. Loads of division in society now. Brexit has polarised opinion to extreme levels. There is an educated debate to be had over Brexit but far too often it simply doesn't happen. There is very little respect for the alternative view. Racism has been normalised in some quarters in a way I haven't seen for 30 years.
I had a feeling brexit would be mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back