BT Sport old MOTD highlights - booing black players

toosb

Striker
Anyone been watching these?
Mainly showing stuff from late 70s to mid 80s.

Quite incredible to hear the booing and monkey chants openly aimed at just about every black player.

Justin Fashanu received disgusting treatment at Middlesbrough in 1980. The commentator never mentioned it. But let's face it, it happened everywhere.

What a shameful period in this country's history.

I can well remember this happening and although I never joined in, like most I accepted it and thought little of it at the time.

How long before this starts to grow again at games?
The current political climate is encouraging neanderthals and giving them a voice. There is no reason to think racism won't return to grounds if people think it's okay to run on and attack a player.

Anyone been watching these?
Mainly showing stuff from late 70s to mid 80s.

Quite incredible to hear the booing and monkey chants openly aimed at just about every black player.

Justin Fashanu received disgusting treatment at Middlesbrough in 1980. The commentator never mentioned it. But let's face it, it happened everywhere.

What a shameful period in this country's history.

I can well remember this happening and although I never joined in, like most I accepted it and thought little of it at the time.

How long before this starts to grow again at games?
The current political climate is encouraging neanderthals and giving them a voice. There is no reason to think racism won't return to grounds if people think it's okay to run on and attack a player.
Completely different times and standards. Never hear anything remotely similar to it at all these days. I couldn’t tell you the last time I heard a racist remark At an safc game for example. No comparison.

The whole era was pretty nasty in general as anyone who followed safc in say the 70s will testify too. The country was a bit of a shit hole and spawned cultural alternatives such as two tone and punk rock.

My lad went to Inter Milan v Juve last year. He was shocked by the level of racist abuse the black players received. Not a thing done about it either, just seemed to be accepted.

Say a racist comment in most situations in the UK and you'll likely be shouted down. No way will we return to that. Not to say there won't be another group of people who are abused at matches like, tribalism is a part of human nature and in a way is what makes football great.

Remember Lenny Lawrence coming to roker complementing us fans about lack of it
Seem to stop when Gary Bennet arrived
remember playing the Mags at Roker, they applauded their black player Tony Cunningham after monkey chanting Gary Bennet

Shame on all those at Roker who berated Sol Campbell

Aye, all 2 of them.

The worst I ever saw at a game was the mags treatment of Bennett and Gayle on New Year's Day 1985. It was about half the crowd, totally horrendous and they both got sent off anarl.

I admit I joined in the chanting and abuse of black players prior to us having black lads playing for us like the 2 above and Agboola. It was a mob thing and as a bairn I went along with it without a moments thought.

Dreadful times looking back and I'm pleased those days are a very distant memory.

Aye, all 2 of them.

The worst I ever saw at a game was the mags treatment of Bennett and Gayle on New Year's Day 1985. It was about half the crowd, totally horrendous and they both got sent off anarl.

I admit I joined in the chanting and abuse of black players prior to us having black lads playing for us like the 2 above and Agboola. It was a mob thing and as a bairn I went along with it without a moments thought.

Dreadful times looking back and I'm pleased those days are a very distant memory.
I remember safc fans going to Cardiff and singing about the aberfan disaster. It was a common chant wherever Cardiff played.

It was totally and utterly different times and looking back now it just seems like a different country never mind a different game. There was loads of violence, the vast majority never reported and I remember a 1500 person pitched battle at charlton. Goodness knows what would have been made if that in these times. I think it made 2 square inches in the Shields gazette.

Aye, all 2 of them.

I was there that day too it was quite brutal and like you say they both got sent off
Glad to say it’s not happening anymore

On a slightly lighter, but related, note , whilst watching The Big Match Revisited from the 70s, I had to chuckle at the
“You’re going to get your f*cking heads kicked in “
chant arising after any away goal .
Different days indeed.

:lol: :lol:

QPR v Burnley 1979 was on. They were singing "Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Hill Jimmy Hill, wanky wanky wanky wanky wanky wanky wanky wank wanky wank. "

Made me laugh anyway :lol:

How about all those that chucked Mars bars at Gazza at Roker Park, this would never happen nowadays.............no one could afford it.

Back