BT Sport old MOTD highlights - booing black players

Anyone been watching these?
Mainly showing stuff from late 70s to mid 80s.

Quite incredible to hear the booing and monkey chants openly aimed at just about every black player.

Justin Fashanu received disgusting treatment at Middlesbrough in 1980. The commentator never mentioned it. But let's face it, it happened everywhere.

What a shameful period in this country's history.

I can well remember this happening and although I never joined in, like most I accepted it and thought little of it at the time.

How long before this starts to grow again at games?
The current political climate is encouraging neanderthals and giving them a voice. There is no reason to think racism won't return to grounds if people think it's okay to run on and attack a player.

I don't think they booed Justin on the basis of his skin colour but more his sexual orientation.

Anyone been watching these?
Mainly showing stuff from late 70s to mid 80s.

Quite incredible to hear the booing and monkey chants openly aimed at just about every black player.

Justin Fashanu received disgusting treatment at Middlesbrough in 1980. The commentator never mentioned it. But let's face it, it happened everywhere.

What a shameful period in this country's history.

I can well remember this happening and although I never joined in, like most I accepted it and thought little of it at the time.

How long before this starts to grow again at games?
The current political climate is encouraging neanderthals and giving them a voice. There is no reason to think racism won't return to grounds if people think it's okay to run on and attack a player.

Disgraceful, but pretty sure we won't see it again imo.

aye we did Wilf Rostron missed it. Poor penalty. I wouldn't care I think it was days after the 6-2 sheff Utd game where he got a hat trick.

My first ever game! Fulwell end with me Mam (no)! :oops::lol:

She insisted on leaving early and we missed two goals and, IIRC, a saved penalty!
Wasn’t Alex Sabella playing for them? We were in for him at one point and his wife said like fuck was she moving to Sunderland!

At the Walsall game a bairn with his da referred to one of their black players as a "Paki" and his dad looked f***ing mortified, quickly said "ere you can't say that" and dragged him out for what I assume was a bollocking. Still canny shocked to hear a bairn so young feeling brazen enough to shout that at a player, at least the da was nipping it in the bud though
My lad has a Muslim girl in his class and one of the kids in his class referred to her as that, been in the same class for over 7 years! My boy reported him

Back