Bruce Springsteen

Havent read any of the replies so apologies if this is repeating others. As an absolute disciple to the Boss I would go in this order,

Born to Run. An absolute, 100%, stone wall bona fide classsic. Possibly the greatest album ever made ( although personally not my favourite BS record ). Thunder Road is in my opinion his greatest track so that put along Born to Run, 10th Avenue freeze out, Jungleland and Backstreets, and you have musical perfection.

Born in the USA. Fully established him as the biggest rock star on the planet, for good reason. Monster hit after monster hit. It can get labelled a tad cheesy but i absolutely love it. All killer no filler.

Darkness on the edge of Town.
My personal favorite and my favorite album of all time. It's dark, sinister, angry and the sound of a young man with a lot to say. Badlands is possibly the greatest album opener of all time ( or is it thunder road ). The title track, Racing in the street, Promised land are incredible.

The River Double LP of straight up good old fashioned rock n roll. Throw in some slower numbers such as the title track and you get yet another masterpiece. The River tour goes down as peak Bruce live also.

Nebraska Just Bruce and a four track singing harrowing, dark tales of woe. Again a masterpiece of a record.

Agree with all that, you could be me

(apart from Glory Days on BITUSA, cant stand that song....)

Agree with all that, you could be me

(apart from Glory Days on BITUSA, cant stand that song....)

I don’t mind it, it’s cheesy but in a fun way. If there is such a thing as a weak link on the album I’d perhaps say I’m going down. Most bands would kill to write it though !!

Nebraska and The Ghost Of Tom Jade are the last places to start. Unaccompanied acoustic albums as an introduction to an acknowledged master of the rock band format? WTF? Way too niche for a non believer to begin with.

Get a studio compilation type album perhaps? or mebbes start with the easily accessible first.
1 Tunnel Of Love
2 Born In The USA
3 Darkness At The Edge Of Town
4 The River
5. Born To Run

I’d keep away from his first three albums anarl until you’ve decided you like the feller.

'Nebraska' definitely the best place to start closely followed by ' tunnel of love' underrated but still a great Springsteen starting point.
Shakes head in disbelief!

Nebraska and The Ghost Of Tom Jade are the last places to start. Unaccompanied acoustic albums as an introduction to an acknowledged master of the rock band format? WTF? Way too niche for a non believer to begin with.

Get a studio compilation type album perhaps? or mebbes start with the easily accessible first.
1 Tunnel Of Love
2 Born In The USA
4 The River
5. Born To Run

I’d keep away from his first three albums anarl until you’ve decided you like the feller.

Erm.....

The weak link on the album is Darlington County
One of those songs that’s good fun live but I do often skip it on the album.

Tbh though there isn’t really a weak link on any his work (including outtakes) between 75 and 87.

‘Crush on you’ maybes . .

Cheers mate just bought that :D

ah good on y a pal. When they arrive i would play either / all of ...Run, Darkness , River first then move onto the others.. Note that the River is a double CD, if you play disc 1 of that you will be hooked . .its tremendous and disc 2 doesnt really come close to disc 1 imo....let us know how you get on !

1 Tunnel Of Love
2 Born In The USA
4 The River
5. Born To Run

Born To Run is his 3rd album, and Tunnel of Love would be a crap place to start.

Born To Run is his 3rd album, and Tunnel of Love would be a crap place to start.
Tunnel has undoubtedly dated musically. . it’s still some of the best song writing I’ve ever heard though. I remember Bono saying that the album broke the news on Bruce’s wedding split a year before the tabloids did

Springsteen is one of a number of artists whom I have never "got". I hear other people rave about him and understand what they saying his great qualities are, but I just don't hear it in his music.

Back