'British Jobs for British People'

Status
Not open for further replies.

There is an aspect of racism in the 'british' first argument, it's at the latter end of the spectrum though and more a symptom of racism than racism itself.

OK thanks. Apart from beer, can you give any other examples of where you've paid more, in this country not on holiday, in order to support local?
meat, poultry and dairy. my sister (fuck off, not a chance) and her fella farm beast and sheep, and have a fair few hens. He also milks for one of the fellas down the road from him. No way am i going to support a foreign import over their home grown industry. i also, if my money permits, like to have my suits made out of British wool and British leather shoes. However, i must stress that i can't always keep to this due to the price disparity, and i do not blame anyone for going for the cheaper option, as i used to myself, and still do on occasion.

Junior doctors can quite easily get work. We're not training enough of them and many of them are quitting after a few years.
quitting = going into private practice because they can earn more money.

cheers.

how dare they demand social justice.

I've got one in the house. Think Millie Tant, but serious. Its exhausting. There's social justice, which is fine, and then there's the hysterical wing.

I have no issue with a certain level of protectionism for unskilled labour, to the extent that it doesn't significantly (and adversely) effect the UK's competitiveness in the open market. Professional jobs on the other hand, should really just go to the most suitable person.

quitting = going into private practice because they can earn more money.

Not many JR Drs go into private practice. Tends to be older Drs in the last 10 years or people with lots of kids in private school. There's not much demand for private Drs who aren't consultant level.

Mostly they:

• Go abroad - Australia is popular
  • Go part time, reduce their hours. Nowadays it's common for Drs to be married to other Drs or high earners which makes it easy for them to go part time. At the risk of being sexist more and more Jr Drs are female, and as they have kids lots of them choose to work part time.
  • Give up. You'd be surprised how many people graduate from medical school, but who never actually get to practice medicine at a senior level. Med schools like people who are good at passing exams rather than people who can survive the horrors of A&E in Gateshead

Not many JR Drs go into private practice. Tends to be older Drs in the last 10 years or people with lots of kids in private school. There's not much demand for private Drs who aren't consultant level.

Mostly they:

• Go abroad - Australia is popular
  • Go part time, reduce their hours. Nowadays it's common for Drs to be married to other Drs or high earners which makes it easy for them to go part time. At the risk of being sexist more and more Jr Drs are female, and as they have kids lots of them choose to work part time.
  • Give up. You'd be surprised how many people graduate from medical school, but who never actually get to practice medicine at a senior level. Med schools like people who are good at passing exams rather than people who can survive the horrors of A&E in Gateshead
could be wrong here, but most countries abroad don't have a public healthcare system like the NHS, do they? (I don't mean they have no public healthcare, but that they don't have one that is relied on as much as the NHS) In Australia my brother was saying the majority of people have private healthcare and it's only the few that use medicare. Also, i'm sure the majority across Europe have private insurance, and the US is heavily private. So going abroad would 99/100 mean going private for more money. The part time issue is unavoidable like.

Gateshead A&E isn't as bad as it used to be.

It was my wife's first job in the NE. Sometimes she had to get nurses to translate for her.

The on call Jr Drs used to cover the QE Gateshead, and the elderly care wards at Bensham. One night they had a pensioner with a heart attack at Bensham. They had to put the crash kit in the back of my wifes car and her and the SHO drive down Sherrifs Hill like Starsky and Hutch.

Or like Starsky and Hutch if they had been awake for 24hrs and were driving a clapped out Vauxhall Nova.

could be wrong here, but most countries abroad don't have a public healthcare system like the NHS, do they? (I don't mean they have no public healthcare, but that they don't have one that is relied on as much as the NHS) In Australia my brother was saying the majority of people have private healthcare and it's only the few that use medicare. Also, i'm sure the majority across Europe have private insurance, and the US is heavily private. So going abroad would 99/100 mean going private for more money. The part time issue is unavoidable like.

Ah. Thought you meant private in the UK. Most private medicine in the UK tends to be older Drs looking for a load of cash, or Drs who have had problems with their clinical practice in the NHS and have sloped off to the private sector where the clinical governance systems aren't as tight.

Ah. Thought you meant private in the UK. Most private medicine in the UK tends to be older Drs looking for a load of cash, or Drs who have had problems with their clinical practice in the NHS and have sloped off to the private sector where the clinical governance systems aren't as tight.
sorry mate, i should have been clearer. when i said private practice, i meant lads and lasses f***ing off for wonga regardless of country, not just in the UK. aye it's a bit of a old boys network in the UK private network.

I have no issue with a certain level of protectionism for unskilled labour, to the extent that it doesn't significantly (and adversely) effect the UK's competitiveness in the open market. Professional jobs on the other hand, should really just go to the most suitable person.

I think that is the big problem.

The UK has skill shortages in lots and lots of key roles, not just in medicine. If we want to stay world leader in areas like finance we need our companies to be able to recruit the best

But we have a set of people who don't have the skills to do the high level jobs where there are skill shortages, and struggle to find regular work even at the lowest level of legal wages.

As demand for manual labour falls, and demand for high skilled labour rises we are creating a group of people in the UK labour market who can't sell their labour at the National Minimum Wage. Changing our attitude to immigration won't help them.

sorry mate, i should have been clearer. when i said private practice, i meant lads and lasses f***ing off for wonga regardless of country, not just in the UK. aye it's a bit of a old boys network in the UK private network.

No worries.

A few friends of mine buggered off to Australia to work in the 1990s.

Money was part of it (pretty much everywhere else in the developed world pays Drs more than the NHS), but underfunding, providing substandard care due to lack of resources and managers acting like dickheads were just as significant factors.

And surfing.

Last edited:
Rachel Johnson stated that Conservative Party rhetoric was inherently racist and akin to BNP sentiment for suggesting we put 'British People First'. She then put the the following analogy to Nick Ferrari, 'You want work done in your home and you have two quotes, one for £4k, the other £1.5k. The former is a British guy, the latter a Pole, who do you employ?'

She suggested that she'd employ the Pole 10/10, whereas other members of the panel rightly said you wouldn't make a judgement solely on price without first doing further research into past work or what have you.

Essentially the notion was why give a doctor from India a job in the NHS when theres junior doctors here who can't get work. AN example NHS based being used as political dynamite.
wasn't it Gordon Brown who said it?

Gateshead A&E isn't as bad as it used to be.

It was my wife's first job in the NE. Sometimes she had to get nurses to translate for her.

The on call Jr Drs used to cover the QE Gateshead, and the elderly care wards at Bensham. One night they had a pensioner with a heart attack at Bensham. They had to put the crash kit in the back of my wifes car and her and the SHO drive down Sherrifs Hill like Starsky and Hutch.

Or like Starsky and Hutch if they had been awake for 24hrs and were driving a clapped out Vauxhall Nova.

And we think a&e departments are bad now. Mind ours is stupidly busy.

The reason British people cant take low paid work is the cost of f***ing housing, immigration has a small impact on wages but the cost of housing is the main reason that people dont want to do low paid jobs! why cant anyone f***ing stand up and acknowledge this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back