Bristol City sack Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he did a reasonable job at Bristol City , but them now having more money to spend has probably done for him. Bristol City appear to be raising their bar in terms of aspirations and will be looking for a more high profile manager, someone similar to a Frank Lampard at Derby, maybe John Terry perhaps, or a foreign manager like a Bielsa , Farke or that bloke who was at Huddersfield when they were in the premier league
Just go for Hughton

Chris Hughton and Michael Flynn (Newport) the early favourites.
Hughton would be an excellent appointment i.m.o

Just driving past the two storey framed structure of the new training ground building at Failand this morning you realise that SL won't be leaving the next managerial appointment to chance.

The new training facility which will also house the u-23s is a multi-million pound development that will be ready in around 9 months. There is absolutely no way he has invested this kind of off-field money to employ a novice, or someone of limited experience, to run.

Bristol City is now a sizeable club and a sizeable project that requires a manager with plenty of experience at Championship and Premier League level. You can rule out the likes of Ryan Lowe and even the Paul Cook's of this world.

We need a manager who has achieved what we want to achieve, and has been where we want to be.

The timing is good. Within two weeks umpteen clubs will have parted company with their managers as the season draws to a close, and we have a head start on all of them.

The timing is interesting. SL was under no real pressure to fire LJ now. At the end of the season, maybe. But to have done it now, with no threat of relegation and only four games into the restart suggests we are going to act fast.

With a quick turnaround before next season starts (possibly end of September) the rest of this season could be treated as a mini pre-season. There is little merit in letting Holden continue for the next five games.

Getting our man in quickly and letting him assess the squad will give us an advantage over rivals who will be scrabbling around for a new manager in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

The squad is now a well-paid one with numerous multi-million pound signings. Again, you don't go after a manager with only L1/L2 experience to manage these types of players. Someone who will command the full respect of the senior players is required. Someone experienced. Someone proven.

SL has seen first-hand what a manager/coach with these credentials is capable of at Bristol Bears; and he likes what he sees.

Bristol City won't be able to attract a Pat Lam equivalent, he is one of the highest paid coaches in world rugby and the highest paid in the Premiership. But the success he is delivering, and the best is surely still to come, cannot be lost on SL.

We are a different beast to the club that LJ took over 4.5 years ago and a man for the occasion is needed. SL has got the timing right, has the infrastructure right, and now needs to be bold and go and get the right man for the job.

Sounds like you're getting delusions of grandeur a little bit. Maybe not quite on Bournemouth or Brentford scale, but on that path. You're Bristol City, a run of the mill Championship club. And you should be proud of that.

Since promotion from League One they've been 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th, 12th. Steady (if unspectacular) progress. Which is great, but there seems to be more and more clubs insisting on playing the 'right' way, doing the 'right' thing and thinking they're some sort of example of how things should be done. We saw it with Swansea, then Bournemouth, and now I think Brentford are going to be next. Next they'll be shouting hoof when someone kicks the ball upfield.

No offence Bristol City, but spend ten years in the Premier League and then come back and tell me how great you are.

Since promotion from League One they've been 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th, 12th. Steady (if unspectacular) progress. Which is great, but there seems to be more and more clubs insisting on playing the 'right' way, doing the 'right' thing and thinking they're some sort of example of how things should be done. We saw it with Swansea, then Bournemouth, and now I think Brentford are going to be next. Next they'll be shouting hoof when someone kicks the ball upfield.

No offence Bristol City, but spend ten years in the Premier League and then come back and tell me how great you are.

It’s their fans that make you laugh.
Waving their scarves around in mid air and thinking that they have achieved something.
The Gas and Swindon definitely the poorer neighbours but both clubs have that real hardcore that travel everywhere in decent numbers.
The percentage of shit Heads that travel away v home support is poor.
Meanwhile let them keep waving their scarves, spending millions and even then they can’t match an appearance in the Premier League just like a local club without a pot to piss in.

Sounds like you're getting delusions of grandeur a little bit. Maybe not quite on Bournemouth or Brentford scale, but on that path. You're Bristol City, a run of the mill Championship club. And you should be proud of that.
Bristol CIty are a bit like a smaller Notts forest but without the European Cups, League Cups, League title and FA Cups. At least they've got summat to be deluded about

The big story here, for me at least, is the influence his public declaration may have on the clubs approach.

For what it's worth, if his interest is genuine and terms can be agreed, I'd appoint him asap. Whilst I believe we are now an attractive proposition for the tier of manager he is, more attractive than plenty will give credit for, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact we've only come close to reaching the top division once in the last 40 odd years. Everyone will have their own opinion, their own preferences in terms of what a manager brings, but whilst we are an attractive proposition we should be clear in the fact that someone with Hughton's credentials declaring an interest is hugely flattering. He has the track record, experience at a higher level, is well thought of, and whilst has faced criticism for his approach in the Premier League it is hard to believe we will find a more well rounded candidate.

Ultimately, I cant see it happening. I'm not sure we'll be able (or willing) to come to terms and I suspect it will be passed off as 'not the right fit' etc, which to be fair may hold some truth. But what him going public has done is ramp up the pressure on the club. If unveiling Ryan Lowe or Michael Flynn was going to be a tough sell before, it's an uphill task now. Even Cook/Robins etc will now, whatever the reality, be perceived as the club settling, lacking ambition.
I agree that we are not a big club, no where near, but you have to be ambitious and we are seen as a more stable club than most, and a club that does do it the 'right' way. We've stuck by our manager whilst he went on the worst losing run in history, we've stuck by him when he went on an awful run 4 years in a row that would have got anyone else sacked at another club. Again, we haven't been spectacular, which is another thing that can be blamed on our manager.

However, we do have the newest and one of the best grounds in the league, our academy has produced the best players in the league (by transfer fees at the minimum) Bobby Reid 8m, Joe Bryan 8m, Lloyd Kelly 15m etc. We also do have a very wealthy owner, we do have a strong infrastructure and a sure philosophy throughout the upper management at our club.

I'm not saying we are a big club, we are not, or that we deserve to be in the top division, we don't. We have next to no noticeable history, we've barely been in the top division. At present though it can not be denied that we are an attractive proposition, if history was anything to go by then there'd be no point of competing, Leeds would be at the top, Forest too, Leicester wouldn't have won the league, Bournemouth should be fighting to stay in League one, this ones a bit closer to home, but you wouldn't be in League One.

I do completely agree with everything you've said, but that isn't how football works and luckily, I don't think is how a lot of managers will be viewing us.

It might go to shit, we might never make it in the top division, but as of now I'm a lot happier, confident and more excited that we will make it, than I have ever been.

Last edited:
Just driving past the two storey framed structure of the new training ground building at Failand this morning you realise that SL won't be leaving the next managerial appointment to chance.

The new training facility which will also house the u-23s is a multi-million pound development that will be ready in around 9 months. There is absolutely no way he has invested this kind of off-field money to employ a novice, or someone of limited experience, to run.

Bristol City is now a sizeable club and a sizeable project that requires a manager with plenty of experience at Championship and Premier League level. You can rule out the likes of Ryan Lowe and even the Paul Cook's of this world.

We need a manager who has achieved what we want to achieve, and has been where we want to be.

The timing is good. Within two weeks umpteen clubs will have parted company with their managers as the season draws to a close, and we have a head start on all of them.

The timing is interesting. SL was under no real pressure to fire LJ now. At the end of the season, maybe. But to have done it now, with no threat of relegation and only four games into the restart suggests we are going to act fast.

With a quick turnaround before next season starts (possibly end of September) the rest of this season could be treated as a mini pre-season. There is little merit in letting Holden continue for the next five games.

Getting our man in quickly and letting him assess the squad will give us an advantage over rivals who will be scrabbling around for a new manager in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

The squad is now a well-paid one with numerous multi-million pound signings. Again, you don't go after a manager with only L1/L2 experience to manage these types of players. Someone who will command the full respect of the senior players is required. Someone experienced. Someone proven.

SL has seen first-hand what a manager/coach with these credentials is capable of at Bristol Bears; and he likes what he sees.

Bristol City won't be able to attract a Pat Lam equivalent, he is one of the highest paid coaches in world rugby and the highest paid in the Premiership. But the success he is delivering, and the best is surely still to come, cannot be lost on SL.

We are a different beast to the club that LJ took over 4.5 years ago and a man for the occasion is needed. SL has got the timing right, has the infrastructure right, and now needs to be bold and go and get the right man for the job.
Ive done a few bits of business with Stephen Lansdown, fair to say he doesnt like losing...and he doesnt mess about!

Ive done a few bits of business with Stephen Lansdown, fair to say he doesnt like losing...and he doesnt mess about!
Well that's what we've all thought for years, yet he's been 'soft' when it comes to the football club. Finally, it seems like it's changing now, for the better.

His business brain is exactly what the clubs needed for years, just a shame he's only starting to enforce it 24 years later!

Well that's what we've all thought for years, yet he's been 'soft' when it comes to the football club. Finally, it seems like it's changing now, for the better.

His business brain is exactly what the clubs needed for years, just a shame he's only starting to enforce it 24 years later!
well he has only rally focused on interests apart from HL in the past few years..he has another business do stuff with..but HL must have been full on..now he has the time to devote to his other stuff..

they have the money and ambition to be more,,safc stank out every league we have been in for over a decade, we shouldnt get precious about where otrs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back