Brian Eno

zwartekat

Striker
Eno has been involved with some of the most influential / popular music from the past 50 years. He also gets a fair amount of credit for popularising ambient music.

However, when you read about his involvement it never seems quite clear what he actually does, even when people are singing his praises. A mate also reckons that he came up with ambient stuff because he can't actually play any tunes. :lol:

Is he actually a creative genius or a bit of a chancer who manages to get in the right place at the right time?

Eno has been involved with some of the most influential / popular music from the past 50 years. He also gets a fair amount of credit for popularising ambient music.

However, when you read about his involvement it never seems quite clear what he actually does, even when people are singing his praises. A mate also reckons that he came up with ambient stuff because he can't actually play any tunes. :lol:

Is he actually a creative genius or a bit of a chancer who manages to get in the right place at the right time?
Genius.

a bit of a chancer who manages to get in the right place at the right time?

Just don't get it with him..he's got this almost mythical status but his own stuff that i've heard is absolute shite.
People say that about Frank Zappa as well and loads of other people can't stand his music. Each to their own.
Listen to ‘My Life in the Bush of Ghosts” by him if you haven’t already. Class.
Collaboration with David Byrne. Bloody good album imo.

Last edited:
People say that about Frank Zappa as well and loads of other people can't stand his music. Each to their own.

Collaboration with David Byrne. Bloody good album imo.
Agreed..i started a Zappa thread the other week..he's shite anarl like..each to their own though.

Both. The ‘Oblique Strategies’ technique used on the Low album could have resulted in anything really. But I do love his ambient solo stuff.

I'm not familiar with most of his stuff and I was never into Roxy Music, so I don't feel I know much about his work but I do think that Apollo is delightful.

He nearly deleted the tapes of The Streets have no Name when U2 were struggling to get it down on tape.

He had to be restrained by Flood who has gone on to great success in his own right.

Brian has been involved in lots of great music - maybe he just makes a cracking cup of coffee.

He famously wrote the Windows 95 startup sound.

Back