Brian Clough dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm sure the England selectors thought if they took me on and gave me the job, I'd want to run the show. They were shrewd because that's exactly what I would have done." If only he did....

Legend.

R.I.P Cloughie

I remember a small crowd waiting at Roker Park to greet Cloughie and his Forest team off the team coach. A little lad, about 8 years old approached BC as he got off the coach and asked if he could have some autographs.

"We can do better than that son. Go and ask your dad if you can come with me to our dressing room." said BC.

The lad came back with as beaming smile as his dad had said yes. Cloughie then put his arm round the lad's shoulders and took him into the dressing room with him.
Can you imagine Wenger doing that?
I think we were stuffed (Collymore hat-trick?) but I don't remember much about the game, I just kept thinking about the smile on that lads face.

RIP legend.

Cheers for the good times mate, RIP

i'll remember you for the amazing record of 250+ goals in only 270+ appearances for the two clubs you played for and loved.

Thanks again cloughie! :|

I was sitting in a bar in Copenhagen on tuesday, having a quiet pint. Sny Sports news was on but no sound, I was truly shocked when I realised what had happened.

I've always been a massive fan of Cloughie, even more so after I read his autobiography.

RIP

RIP Sir Brian.

A working class hero.

My Da watched him for the Lads before I was born, loved the bloke. Told me he made the most of his talent, very fast (unlike Nigel) and came alive in the box. After he snapped his cruciate he was in charge of our youth team before he went to Hartlepool(s). At Forest and Derby he crafted great teams from plodders, rough diamonds, young kids and a few decent players who others thought were finished.

He was the best man manager the game has ever known, a footballing genius.

Read both his (John Saddler's) books, great stuff.

Heard Roy Keane on the radio. He said Cloughie told him to come to the ground on a match day (when he was 16). Roy thought he'd be helping out as a dogsbody. At the last minute Cloughie told him he was playing and he had a great debut.

Next day Brian told him to come to his office and asked him to clean his shoes for him. Roy said, I think it was to make sure I kept my feet on the ground.

Legend.

BTW I haven't been able to view (only) this site for a week? Assumed it was down but ran ad-aware last night to clean any ad/spyware off and it's back now :?:

Cloughie was my hero when I was little.

Now I live a couple of minutes from the hotel used by a lot of the Premier teams before their Southampton games.

A few years ago I took my nipper, who was 7 at the time, up to the hotel for hopefully some autographs. Cloughie spoke to him and said 'Have you a Grandad?' and my nipper replied 'Yes'. Cloughie then said to him 'How about a kiss for an old Grandad cos I'm one?' My nipper kissed him on the cheek and Cloughie took him round the Forest team and got their autographs.

He was a star that day.

He will be forever, for me.

I remember a comedian doing a skit of cloughie a few years back. I thinkk it might have been at the 91 Cup Final, around the time that David Iyke was doing his "I am the saviour, but not in the goalkeeping sense" routine.

"There's only one person who's the son of God, and that'm my Nigel!"

You could imagine Cloughy himself saying that really......

gutted. always looked forward to getting FourFourTwo every month to read his article.

even more gutted because i had him down as the number one person i would love to have a conversation with.

RIP cloughie, a one of a kind. :(

I've already posted on this thread once but fuck it

As a lad of 17, I've got to say that it is a big regret to me that I never saw this true great man of football in his pomp, either as a player or a manager.

It's a great feeling when you know that a great man like Brian Clough loved your club.

He was outspoken, big headed but always spot on in what he did and said. His achievements at Forest and Derby were phenomenal and his record as a player is different class.

Always outspoken, always entertaining. I'll be purchasing his autobiography within short time.

A true great we have lost

RIP Brian Clough

I never got to see the great man either with me being 18, but he my dad once wrote to him and he sent my dad loads of stuff. He wasn't scared to speak his mind and told it like it was. He was a true legend and always will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back