Brian Clough dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
probably got these facts wrong however, during one of the European cup runs Forest were 2 down in first leg to Gothenburg in semi (I think). Asked what his team needed to just before the second leg - he replied win 3-0....which they duly did.

Paisley and Stein were great managers, however Shanks and Cloughie transcended football for me...they were icons.

RIP big 'ead

I had the pleasure of being the comedian when Forest had their 25 anniversary of them winning the European Cup in May and was actually sat at the same table as Mr. Clough, he looked really well and was in great form laughing and joking and admonishing all night. I'm glad I met him.
He was the Guvnor

Childhood is a vital time. Attitudes are initially developed and beliefs about the world and your place in it are formed and nurtured.

The Aged Parent wasn't quite so aged when I was seven. He was a very active, physical and vibrant man. Just like now.

Every fortnight he's frantically rush back from work (the struggling self employed don't get Saturdays off) and hurtle in the van (which was probably incapable of hurtling come to think of it) to Roker Park.

When he cam back he'd fill me and my brothers with fabulous tales of football genius. If we'd won he'd be so chuffed he'd not shut up all night. If we lost he'd sit in a corner and sulk.

So whilst Mam was making the tea he'd line us all up to demonstrate a piece of footballing magic perpetrated by some hero. I still remember a lot of the names of footballers of players I've never seen play cos Dad told me all about them all the time.

The settee was, of course, the goal. A rolled up pair or two of thick wooly socks was the ball. Our Phil was generally the centre back and Steve would be either the goalie or another defender, depending on circumstance. I was always insistant that I'd be a Sunderland Player. I was usually a nippy winger or half back. I was always Johnny Crossan or Nicky Sharkey. My little sister would get sick of being the linesman and help Mam with the tea

Dad was ALWAYS Brian Clough. He wouldn't let me be Brian Clough. Cos he was always demonstrating what Brian Clough had done to score another amazing goal. So to get it right he had to be Brian Clough.

It sometimes got a bit hairy if Dad got a bit excited during the demonstration and Mam would have to shout at him to calm down.

So Brian Clough was a childhood hero of mine and I knew all about him.

Unfortunately I didn't see him play. By the time Dad thought I was old enough (8) to take to Roker (or probably thought he'd never get any peace unless he took me) he had been injured and his career was ending.

It's always sad to see a person who has been a personal icon go. But Brian Clough was a very special person. He wasn't an angel and he had a lot of faults. He was skilled, talented and very very individual. But he represented and still represents something to me that is probably indefinable. He is symbolic of more innocent times and a different attitude to life.

Maybe I've placed these particular nuances on his shoulders as a result of MY life experiences. As a man, he was, obviously, as human, frail and flawed as the rest of us.

But he represents something to me that can never be recaptured and will always be special.

In whatever team he's joined now, he'll be centre forward.

There's only one Brian clough -never a truer statement. without any doubt a legend in in his own time . A sad sad day for football with the passing of Cloughie- his likes will not be seen again.

When I was 19 I was playing football with my brother on the beach at the Cat and Dog steps when along came BC with Irish international Johnny Crossan and asked if they could join in. He suggested we split up to keep the teams even but I said it’s all right we are used to playing together.
We beat them quite easy because Johnny insisted on rounding his man before passing the ball. When you are a defender and you know your man is hell bent on rounding you, you don’t have to worry about covering for the pass.
After the game BC said “well done lads, now you know why I only score 30 goals a season playing along side winkers like this.

RIP thanks for the memories Brian

Great Goalscorer

The best manager - Oh god how I wish we had the bottle to have him

A Character

A True Legend

Rest In Peace

"If you like me send me flowers now. Don't wait until I die"
( Brian Clough. 2004)

Thanks for the memories Brian. You were unique. A class act on and off the field. The most exciting player I've seen in a Sunderland shirt.
When you had the ball, the only thing you had in mind was putting it in the net.
Goalscoring Machine Supreme.
Never mind what you could have achieved with us as manager, you gave you're everything for us as a player. I feel very privileged to have seen you play.
Thank you.

RIP.

i never saw the great man play for the lads but my dad told me everything about this legendary goalscoring machine. i remember his managerial pomp at derby and forest as if it were yesterday.

the big regret has got to be "if only..."

rip a true footballing legend.

Thanks for the memories Cloughie.

English football will never be the same again.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back