Brian Clough dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard not to repeat what others have said, so i'll try not to.

Good luck Brian, and wherever you end up, give them hell!

One of the very few footballing figures that everyone seems to agree about. An absoloute phenomenon as a player and manager. A tragedy he never got to have a proper crack at the top flight with us and that we never gave him the managerial opportunity he craved above all others. RIP Brian.

There are some people who you grow up with, admire and as you get older the affection never wavers and you take it for granted that they will always be there. Brian Clough was one of these people and his passing makes the world seem an emptier place. I regret that he never managed either Sunderland or England, but the world isn't perfect and so I have, over the years, accepted this. I am starting to ramble now, but can only add that I am saddened by his death and that I am glad that he was able to show the world that he was a truly great manager.

Greatest manager in the history of the British game.

Gone but NEVER to be forgotten.

Bye bye " big ead" you'll be taching the angels to keep the ball on the ground and not in the clouds now.
Great character true football charismatic genius and the greatest manager never to have managed the lads even though you would have come twice over.
If only the powers that be had had some sense.
You will be a miss

a true football great, that we will all sadly miss

my memories of him atart at my first ever football match, not that I even saw him that day just knew a few years later he was the manager at brighton, when he bought them to non league walton and hersham in the third round of the cup and got knocked out

then his mouth got to work :lol:

and having been after trevor brooking during the sumer of 79 and trev turning the move to forest down, the morning of the 1980 cup final the headlines in one paper were, trevor brooking floats like a butterfly stings like one too, trev has said this helped an already well motivated team go on to lift the cup

then the semi final 4 0 loss to forest in 91 when Tony Gale got sent off, before the game cloughie had engaged in a bit of banter with a few bishops monks priests clowns etc, in the west ham seats around his dug out, as we went on to get torn apart, by his excellent team, he left the touchline with five minutes left, shaking hands all the way down the touchline with the west ham fans who at 4 0 down were going bonkers, he applaudeour fans and headed down the tunnel, to leave his players and not him to bathe in the glory, he also later said he wanted people to witness the special atmosphere that day inside villa park, one of my friends met him later that summer, in richmond in surrey, and he was overcome with the reception the west ham fans gave him that day before and during the game

he is a legend

I feel very lucky its fallen to our club to be able to honour him in the city ground on sunday

wouldn't miss it for the world

RIP young man :cry:

First game I ever went to at Roker Park was Brian Clough's comeback game from his injury. It was a reserve game in 1962 and the crowd was around 28000.

It said all you needed to know about Sunderland and how everyone felt about Cloughie. It never changed - total and absolute respect.

RIP

LEGEND!

RIP Brian, read his autobiography last year, have a read of it if you can, gives you an insight into a fantastic character

Sad, sad news :cry: :cry: :cry:

A true football legend.

We will never see the likes again.

It has all been said about how great he is.

There will be no more slacking in heaven. Can you imagine Cloughie at the Pearly Gates with St Peter..... "now listen ere young man. I am God"

God bless you Cloughie. Thanks for the contribution to footy generally and to SAFC in particular (I am not old enough to remember him play - but have been told he was special).

Say hello to Shack and Bob

Deepest sympathy to the family.

Interesting that the likes of the BBC and others talk about him quitting playing as soon as he was injured in 1962... do any of these jokers do their research properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back