Brian Clough Clip

Peter Taylor says in his autobiography that we did.

Can’t remember full details. Might have been dependent on a takeover or something.
Just read that very recently.

IIRC it was something along the lines of a consortium of businessmen were wanting to get involved with the club and wanted to bring Clough & Taylor in, but the hierarchy in place at the time were against it and it all fell through, something like that.

I watch a great documentary about Brain Clough and his all conquering Forest team in Europe . A totally different football world then when the English league wasnt dominated by stars from all over the world . Its a really good watch but not sure what its called ?? . Featuring John Robertson, Roy Keane, Gary Birtles Trevor Francis ( I Think ) and Nottingham Forest were top dogs in Europe.
Yeah I watched that, and really enjoyed it. Think it was on Amazon,

Was just having a look to refresh my memory and there are two quotes that refer to managing Sunderland:

“Derby meant nothing to him then, his north-east ambitions extended no further than managing Sunderland or Newcastle…”

“…I remember the consortium of north-east businessmen who planned to install Brian and myself at Roker Park in 1969, but the scheme failed because the Sunderland board refused to make way for them.”

I didn’t see anything about Clough having reasons not to come. There was something about the awful way he’d been treated by Sunderland being one of his motivations to succeed, but nothing to say this resentment meant he would not come here. Maybe I missed it.
Spent the last day looking for book ,must have lent it to somebody .Almost sure it mentions how bitter Brian Clough was after he was sacked as youth team manager ,without any reason given as he thought he’d done a good job.
Just ordered it again to refresh my memory.

This.

If it hadn't been for Stokoe we would probably have bagged Clough somewhere along the line in that mid seventies period.

But then how can anyone say anything about the only manager who has won us a major trophy since wwii, and the only manager who has ever taken us into European Competition ?

And maybe Brian would have flopped here, all if's, but's and maybe's i suppose.
Spot on…Different board different amount of money to spend different type of players wanting to live in the North east

Do you have a functioning club shop?

Last season due to our predicament we only had one batch of home and away shirts for sale. Basically if you didn’t get one in August you were never going to get the chance to get one.
So I guess no 😂

It has been given a face lift though this season.

Sadly it should have been SAFC and not NFFC........our owners have been shockingly inept for generations.
I’ve been saying this for a while. How come a club that had been one of the best in the country for decades had been allowed to fall into decline the way we did in the 1950s, because that’s really when it started, was bordering on the criminal.

I’ve been saying this for a while. How come a club that had been one of the best in the country for decades had been allowed to fall into decline the way we did in the 1950s, because that’s really when it started, was bordering on the criminal.
I think it started with the decline of the shipyards and the rich local owner using safc as a plaything. The scapegoating of safc in the late fifties was a disgrace ..they were all it!

The exact text of a letter written by Brian Clough from his home address sent to a supporter on 9h February 1964.

15 Saint Nicholas Avenue
Sunderland
9th Feb 1964

Dear Miss Baillie,
Thank you very much for your letter and please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. At long last I am managing to wade through some of the hundreds of letters I have received over the last couple of months.

I think I am finally beginning to get over the shock of not being able to play football again and i do hope to stay in the game in some capacity, although I have no set plans at the moment

Thanking you for your good wishes
sincerely
Brian Clough

PS .. I think its worth mentioning that despite everything that has happened it was the best thing I ever did when I signed for Sunderland .

This is where Nigel Clough was born in Sunderland and Brian went on to manage Hartlepool . The rest is history.
Interesting...but it doesn't make sense. Cloughie was injured on Boxing Day 1962 and spent some 18 months trying to make a comeback.
He did make a comeback at the start of the 1964-65 season and played about three games - around August/September - in the top flight before deciding he was not fit enough to carry on and he quit.
So why would he be writing to someone seven months earlier saying he was finally getting "over the shock of not being able to play football again".
Does not make sense. In February he was still very much on the books and striving to return.

Back