Brian Clough Clip

Youve lived the dream mate. I cant even begin to imagine what it must have been like to witness Roker Park in the 60s
My Dad was there when we had our record attendance v Derby in the Cup in 1933, over 75,000 but he reckoned there was more. I asked him what it was like and will always remember what he said - 'Me feet nivah touched the grund for 90 minutes' and 'I could see the ball when it was up a height' - he died nearly 40 years ago, but I can hear him saying it now, lovely memory.

The exact text of a letter written by Brian Clough from his home address sent to a supporter on 9h February 1964.

15 Saint Nicholas Avenue
Sunderland
9th Feb 1964

Dear Miss Baillie,
Thank you very much for your letter and please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. At long last I am managing to wade through some of the hundreds of letters I have received over the last couple of months.

I think I am finally beginning to get over the shock of not being able to play football again and i do hope to stay in the game in some capacity, although I have no set plans at the moment

Thanking you for your good wishes
sincerely
Brian Clough

PS .. I think its worth mentioning that despite everything that has happened it was the best thing I ever did when I signed for Sunderland .

This is where Nigel Clough was born in Sunderland and Brian went on to manage Hartlepool . The rest is history.

Looking back from afar, the time to get him was around late 1974 early 1975. Before he went to forest but there was no way Stokoe was being made to leave

Not sure if he was at Brighton around that time and he had fallen out with Taylor a bit
This.

If it hadn't been for Stokoe we would probably have bagged Clough somewhere along the line in that mid seventies period.

But then how can anyone say anything about the only manager who has won us a major trophy since wwii, and the only manager who has ever taken us into European Competition ?

And maybe Brian would have flopped here, all if's, but's and maybe's i suppose.

I watch a great documentary about Brain Clough and his all conquering Forest team in Europe . A totally different football world then when the English league wasnt dominated by stars from all over the world . Its a really good watch but not sure what its called ?? . Featuring John Robertson, Roy Keane, Gary Birtles Trevor Francis ( I Think ) and Nottingham Forest were top dogs in Europe.

We tried a few times according to the couple of books I've read. Clough was savvy though and would use interest from elsewhere to strengthen his hand where he was.

more likely Brighton. than Forest or derby
Sorry Hank, I can't agree there. Him and Taylor would have been an ideal fit for Sunderland and, if backed by the chairman, could've built a legacy akin to Shankly or Ferguson did in the NW imho. Clough always spoke about his keenness to manage in the NE and we could/should have been to team he did it with. The timing was always horrible though and as some one else mentioned winning the Cup gave Stokoe an additional length of time in post when Clough was available.

Peter Taylor also gives the reasons why Brian Clough wouldn’t come to SAFC in his autobiography,nothing to do with takeover.
Was just having a look to refresh my memory and there are two quotes that refer to managing Sunderland:

“Derby meant nothing to him then, his north-east ambitions extended no further than managing Sunderland or Newcastle…”

“…I remember the consortium of north-east businessmen who planned to install Brian and myself at Roker Park in 1969, but the scheme failed because the Sunderland board refused to make way for them.”

I didn’t see anything about Clough having reasons not to come. There was something about the awful way he’d been treated by Sunderland being one of his motivations to succeed, but nothing to say this resentment meant he would not come here. Maybe I missed it.

Back