Boy starves alongside dad who'd died of heart attack

If a child is potentially at risk then aye.
And ok what basis would they assume a child is potentially at risk? Because someone didn’t turn up to a routine check in appointment?

Sorry but this is a very unfair expectation to have of the social or police in this case, with no evidence presented to raise a concern here.

It’s incredibly unfortunate and sad I agree but doesn’t always have to be blame and can just be a case of incredibly unlucky circumstances conspiring

Sorry but who are you implying did what to the kid? Did the dad have a heart attack on purpose? Did the social worker see him inside and choose not to enter? Did someone stop the kid growing 2 more inches?

Only person who didn't do anything here was the mother herself. But tbf we don't know the custody arrangements and she could be on a no-contact getting treatment for all we know.

Sounds like a very unfortunate event and nothing more. The implication you are making that it is someones fault isn't necessary nor fair.

What do you want the police to do? Kick down every door everytime someone doesn't attend a social workers routine visit?
If he's on a watch list then yes

And ok what basis would they assume a child is potentially at risk? Because someone didn’t turn up to a routine check in appointment?

Sorry but this is a very unfair expectation to have of the social or police in this case, with no evidence presented to raise a concern here.

It’s incredibly unfortunate and sad I agree but doesn’t always have to be blame and can just be a case of incredibly unlucky circumstances conspiring
Social services were already involved weren't they or they wouldn't be calling round in the first place. People take it upon themselves to smash car windows In if someone's left a dog in for 5 minutes, aye they should be knocking doors through if there's potentially a child at risk.

Social services were already involved weren't they or they wouldn't be calling round in the first place. People take it upon themselves to smash car windows In if someone's left a dog in for 5 minutes, aye they should be knocking doors through if there's potentially a child at risk.
I can't help but wonder what the protocol is for police welfare checks

I'd assumed they'd satisfy themselves everyone was safe but seems maybe they're just to knock and if needed come back later or another day

I can't help but wonder what the protocol is for police welfare checks

I'd assumed they'd satisfy themselves everyone was safe but seems maybe they're just to knock and if needed come back later or another day
Yeah I get its a hard situation and people could say well maybe they're just out at a relatives etc but if they've tried all ways of contact and got nowhere for me they need to make sure the child is safe.

If he's on a watch list then yes
Not sure it works like that mate. Just being aware of issues doesn’t mean you immediately suspect the kid might die tomorrow
Yea because you can see into the car to see the dog at risk. How do the police know there’s a kid at risk? Just because someone doesn’t answer the door doesn’t mean there is an imminent threat to life. I’ve read nothing at all to suggest alarm bells should have been raised, especially if he had a history of poor timekeeping

Last edited:
Not really followed this but where was the mother
Papers reporting she is blaming the authorities and “they” should of prevented it
Surely that's the aim of social services in conjunction with the police and other agencies where needed

Not excusing her but she seemingly wasn't fit to prevent anything herself for whatever reason, including being a waste of space

Not sure it works like that mate. Just being aware of issues doesn’t mean you immediately suspect the kid might die tomorrow

Yea because you can see into the car to see the dog at risk. How do the police know there’s a kid at risk? Just because someone doesn’t answer the door doesn’t mean there is an imminent threat to life. I’ve read nothing at all to suggest alarm bells should have been raised, especially if he had a history of poor timekeeping
But they must have suspected a risk or they wouldn't be making calls round would they surley?

But they must have suspected a risk or they wouldn't be making calls round would they surley?
Do you know how many kids are on the watch list? And how many of them are for relatively minor things? Around 100,000. Should we knock down doors every single time one of their parents isn't in when the social call?

Do you know how many kids are on the watch list? And how many of them are for relatively minor things? Around 100,000. Should we knock down doors every single time one of their parents isn't in when the social call?
If they think the child is at risk and they've tried all avenues of contact then yes.

You keep saying "if they think the child is at risk" - who said they thought there was substantial risk? What evidence of any risk has been presented whatsoever?
Why else would social services be calling round multiple occasions? They reported to management who contacted police after the first visit? You wouldn't do that if there wasn't doubt in mind would you?

Why else would social services be calling round multiple occasions? They reported to management who contacted police after the first visit? You wouldn't do that if there wasn't doubt in mind would you?
Because that is what their process is to manage any ongoing situations. There is a difference between having a routine visit and being thought of as "at risk" - you clearly have no idea how the process operates whatsoever do you?

Back