Boss's message to person whose house is on fire.

Perhaps @The Lonious Monk will have a motherfucking perspective?

Q: Is there an expectation that employees in that America fight fires at their homes in their own time and otherwise provide service excellence to customers regardless of selfish personal need like rescuing pets, children and spouses from burning buildings?

Perhaps @The Lonious Monk will have a motherfucking perspective?

Q: Is there an expectation that employees in that America fight fires at their homes in their own time and otherwise provide service excellence to customers regardless of selfish personal need like rescuing pets, children and spouses from burning buildings?
Added to that where the fuck are they going to sleep for the foreseeable future?

I just want you to put the fact that all of your worldly possessions are going up In smoke to one side for a few hours and come and help me make some money in my business. Have a nice day now y'all.
What else are you going to do, it's not like you can sit and watch the telly or play on your Xbox.
Regardless of anything else, it is really short term thinking. You'll not get a decent day's work out of them as their mind will be elsewhere and they'll resent you forever and take the piss at every opportunity. Show a bit of empathy and respect for their situation and they are more likely to respect you and put extra effort in when needed in the future.

What else are you going to do, it's not like you can sit and watch the telly or play on your Xbox.
Regardless of anything else, it is really short term thinking. You'll not get a decent day's work out of them as their mind will be elsewhere and they'll resent you forever and take the piss at every opportunity. Show a bit of empathy and respect for their situation and they are more likely to respect you and put extra effort in when needed in the future.
Why can so many people not understand this basic f***ing principle?

Why can so many people not understand this basic f***ing principle?
But the text shows all of that.

If the boss had said, I don’t care if your house is burning down, get to work then that would’ve beeen different.

You don’t get to see the responses afterwards or before either where you’d think the sender would have come back with, I really need a few days to dampen the flames, find somewhere to live, salvage as much of my belongings as possible.

I don’t get the outrage here.

The boss’ response indicated that if he’d said, I need a few days he’d have got a few days.

If it's not on fire then it is about to be as it's in the evacuation zone.
Your house isn't on fire yet so get to work!
But it's halfway up the garden path.
See you at 8:00am sharp you skiver.

The boss sounds like a wanker, pure and simple.
And yet Westlake was under mandatory evacuation and is now open for business.

There's no guarantee that the house of the shirking grass will catch fire.

But the text shows all of that.

If the boss had said, I don’t care if your house is burning down, get to work then that would’ve beeen different.

You don’t get to see the responses afterwards or before either where you’d think the sender would have come back with, I really need a few days to dampen the flames, find somewhere to live, salvage as much of my belongings as possible.

I don’t get the outrage here.

The boss’ response indicated that if he’d said, I need a few days he’d have got a few days.
The boss' words meant fuck all when he then said he should come in ignoring the fact his home was at a massive risk.

And yet Westlake was under mandatory evacuation and is now open for business.

There's no guarantee that the house of the shirking grass will catch fire.

That's ok then. Might have nowt to worry about or might lose everything.

Last edited:
I’m not harsh at all and would say I’ve got high levels of empathy and compassion. I encourage staff to stay off if they’re ill, if a family member passes away, if they feel as though the pressure is getting too much etc. likewise if they’re house was burning down I’d tell them to take some time to sort themselves out.

But... The text above may not have been perfect but he was hardly saying you must come to work, regardless if your house is burning down otherwise you’re out of a job. He said “business as usual here, everyone else is coming in so you should too”.

Again, doing it via text is shite and we don’t see before and after messages.

Hope he sacked the lad for sharing the texts out of context.
Take time off to get things sorted and keep me updated when possible. Stay safe.

Back