Borthwick return?

So you're saying you wouldn't want a player that could improve our side, just because he felt he could better himself by leaving*, but now realises he made a mistake?

*I've disputed the reasoning since day one, of course, but playing devils advocate........
How would his return be greeted by the players, would there be resentment from them, there would be from me if I was one of them, so maybe any possible return should be weighed against upsetting any feeling of camaraderie there may be left in the dressing room.

I'd be thinking "I stayed after the FTECB shafted us, why couldn't you"?
I accept that everyone won't think like I do.

I would have him back, basically as he has been an excellent player for Durham. He was obviously tapped by Di venuto to go to Surrey, where it has clearly not worked for him.

Now Durham next season, have a nice even chance of competing for promotion out of the second division and imo, there won't be many better batsmen/leg spinner at that level.

These are professional people and though camaraderie can go a long way, I feel professionalism, may trump that.

With all these departures I would think the lads left would welcome a familiar face back to the club.

Plus I like having a chat with Scotty and he is a good lad

Haway Scott get your arse back up the A1 where you belong

How would his return be greeted by the players, would there be resentment from them, there would be from me if I was one of them, so maybe any possible return should be weighed against upsetting any feeling of camaraderie there may be left in the dressing room.

I'd be thinking "I stayed after the FTECB shafted us, why couldn't you"?
I accept that everyone won't think like I do.

Nah, I sincerely doubt that. It's different when you play, spending time together as teammates. I'd imagine most will have remained good friends with him. Plus, if he's man enough to swallow his pride and admit he was wrong - which mate would continue to hold a grudge?

It's different for us as supporters.

As said previously, we may see, we may not, I could be wrong but I don't think that will be one of the stumbling blocks.

there won't be many better batsmen/leg spinner at that level.

Cameron Steel ;)

Latham, Steel, Borthwick would be a very good top order mind and fancy having a pair of part time leggies, manna

We could nickname Borthwick - magnet......

Last edited:
Nah, I sincerely doubt that. It's different when you play, spending time together as teammates. I'd imagine most will have remained good friends with him. Plus, if he's man enough to swallow his pride and admit he was wrong - which mate would continue to hold a grudge?

It's different for us as supporters.

As said previously, we may see, we may not, I could be wrong but I don't think that will be one of the stumbling blocks.

Cameron Steel ;)

We could nickname Borthwick - magnet......

stole my comment ya bugger :lol::lol:

i don't see surrey giving up on him so quickly mind, think it is a non issue. at best perhaps loan him back, he'll be class and maybe go back down there to try and prove himself, maybe stay here as we are git class

Apparently just signed a contract extension at Surrey. Does not appear to be coming home any time soon.
Damn

New deal until 2020
Damn it

Suppose it's canny work if you can get it like - playing second eleven cricket and probably on more money than most of our first team. No idea why Surrey have offered him an extension when they didn't need too, especially considering he's been shite.
Treble damn

Suppose it's canny work if you can get it like - playing second eleven cricket and probably on more money than most of our first team. No idea why Surrey have offered him an extension when they didn't need too, especially considering he's been shite.

Because they're mega rich and have money to burn. Basically they've bought Scott off -other counties will be aware he finished the season playing 2nd team cricket and would have been putting out feelers. And Surrey 's batting has been considerably weakened- Sanga has retired and Rocky will probably be centrally contracted. Rather than Scott on loan Durham would rightly give the likes of Harte and Jones opportunity.

my first thought was aye it seems crackers but let's face facts.

borthwick is a classy player, we all know that. he hasn't been succesful down there but they see him day in day out, they will know he has it, it jsut hasn't clicked yet. so they've tied him down further to a new deal, giving them and him security and showing they have faith in him.

wish we had been more proactive with our contract negotations, although obviously the massive differences between them and us financially make it much easier for them

Back