Borthwick return?

412 runs in 17 innings sorry, just checked on bbc sport.

either way I'm not arsed how many runs he's scored, i'm not arsed how many wickets he's taken, I wouldn't want him back. He left, fuck him. Rather the club gave someone committed a game, Borthwick is clearly not committed to Durham. Nobody is bigger than the club, don't care who they are.
Fine. But you know top level sport has changed? And that gone are the days we see loyalty in any sport?

Fine. But you know top level sport has changed? And that gone are the days we see loyalty in any sport?
Maybe so but I just want committed folk representing Durham and I don't class Borthwick in that category

I'll ask again:

So you're saying you wouldn't want a player that could improve our side, just because he felt he could better himself by leaving, but now realises he made a mistake?
I've answered your question numerous times on this thread

Of course we should. He's better than any batsmen we currently have, with the possible exception of Sir Paul Collingwood.

Maybe so but I just want committed folk representing Durham and I don't class Borthwick in that category

I've answered your question numerous times on this thread

So you would decline getting a player that would immediately improve our team?

Flawed logic that, hope you're not in charge of recruitment at DCCC :eek:

The lad rightly or wrongly thought he would have better opportunities/prospects for his career moving to Surrey.

Currently it does look like he has made the wrong decision but he would walk back into our side and i certainly wouldn't be against it.

I don't think its about does he improve the team. Its all about sending out a message to future players who leave. Short term Borthwick comes back and helps but long term more players will know as long as they keep quiet they can leave with the chance to return if it does not work out.

So in summary all but one of the regular posters on here say they would take him back. Question answered.
Who is not the regular poster me or GordonMuchallno1fan. lol

So you would decline getting a player that would immediately improve our team?

Flawed logic that, hope you're not in charge of recruitment at DCCC :eek:
That's your opinion. I don't want him back, we're allowed to disagree.

So in summary all but one of the regular posters on here say they would take him back. Question answered.
Stop getting upset because I don't want him back ffs.

I don't think its about does he improve the team. Its all about sending out a message to future players who leave. Short term Borthwick comes back and helps but long term more players will know as long as they keep quiet they can leave with the chance to return if it does not work out.
I don't agree with the logic .... for one there's no automatic right of return. Any return will be judged on whether it's a good match up, contract terms and all the rest. Even for Scotty, it might well be the coach decides that although he's a good player the club have moved on, maybe promoted a youngster who has done well (for instance Steel and Clark) and whatever funds that there are available is better spent on a say, a T20 hitter.

So the leave/return thing is something that won't have possible negative consequences.

Who is not the regular poster me or GordonMuchallno1fan. lol
I was excluding you from the list as you asked the question, sorry.

I disagree, I don't think it does work that way. I think the player will be only thinking upwards - who really gives failure a proper thought when they're intending to travel on an upward trajectory?

If by leaving a player thinks they're bettering themselves. They're hardly doing to think what happens when they fail are they?

We'll see (or maybe we won't) if he does come back. It'll be a message enough for me if the club makes an offer that is reasonable but not akin to Surrey money - in which case the lesson will be learnt. The grass isn't greener and neither is the drop in money when it all comes crashing down around your ears.

I don't think we're in a position to be stubborn or spiteful, because if he did become available and we didn't enter the fray because we're 'sending a message' he'll sharp get plenty of offers from other clubs. It isn't like he's going to end up at Whitburn or Felling is it?

I don't agree with the logic .... for one there's no automatic right of return. Any return will be judged on whether it's a good match up, contract terms and all the rest. Even for Scotty, it might well be the coach decides that although he's a good player the club have moved on, maybe promoted a youngster who has done well (for instance Steel and Clark) and whatever funds that there are available is better spent on a say, a T20 hitter.

So the leave/return thing is something that won't have possible negative consequences.

Great post, but for the record I really hope 'a T20 hitter' isn't (the only thing) what the club are after :oops:.

Hardly upset. All I've said is I don't want him back. Those jumping on my opinion are the ones seemingly upset with my view. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Who is upset at your view?

I think most people are simply trying to understand your rationale - personally I find it hard to believe you'd put pettiness ahead of strengthening a threadbare squad, but like you say everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Latham, Steel, Borthwick would be a very good top order mind and fancy having a pair of part time leggies, manna

Latham, Steel, Borthwick would be a very good top order mind and fancy having a pair of part time leggies, manna

Aye, definitely.

I'd even go as far as to say that if Borthwick returns and Bunny stays - we'll be a decent bet for promotion.

A team of Latham, Steel, Borthwick, Clark, Collingwood, Pringle, Richardson, Weighell/Carse, Potts, Onions, Rushworth is as good as any in this division.

Back